Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Blasphemous EvereSCX-10 ‘01 Tacoma Drift Build?! WTF?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Default Blasphemous EvereSCX-10 ‘01 Tacoma Drift Build?! WTF?!?

Soooo…I may get flamed for this, but I enjoy being out of the box & breaking away from the norm, so please bare with me…

In the process of converting an Everest-10 into a somewhat weekend warrior drifter. While it may not do the best, I will wait to see how it turns out when completed & modify some more from there.

Rear hub carriers have been clocked 90 degrees taking advantage of the what used to be rear steer as camber adjustment.

Front c-hub has had the top mount chopped & replaced with adjustable drift links for front camber adjustment. Steering link has been bent to adjust for shorter distance between link points. Wheels still drive & steer fine besides minor chatter at full lock from the wheel axle rubbing c-hub with current camber amount. Gen7 high steering knuckles & CVA driveshafts have been ordered to remedy that.

Axles will be mounted to Axial SCX10 frame rails with one servo on each of the 55mm drift shocks for adjustable ride height for that “bagged” look.

Treal Gen7 overdrive gears will adorn the rear diff to provide a more rear biased 4wd once back in stock.

An HPI Savage Mini XS 4000kv motor & esc combo will be powering this big beast on 2s, or if need be, 3s with the stock Everest-10 transmission with a Traxxas .8 mod/32p 50 tooth spur gear & 17/19 or 21 tooth pinion or an SCX10 2 speed trans I have lying around if the Redcat trans can’t hold up.

1.9 Tetsujin adjustable offset White Dahlia faces with chrome red lip wheels wrapped with standard drift tires.

Sitting atop this blasphemous build will be a RC4WD 2001 4 Door Tacoma with SidewaysRC Overfenders. Paint will most likely be in the form of a candy or metallic red. Simulation LED lights courtesy of a DumboRC X6DC(G) 6 channel receiver & 6ch transmitter combo & a DIY roll cage (cab to bed) will be some of the extra body things I’ll be doing. MST rear balance diffuser. DIY chrome slant exhaust tips. Tailgate mounted Easy88Made wing stays with GT style spoiler & a few other things that’ll probably get added as I move forward with this build.

Forgive me for I may have possibly committed a cardinal sin, but building something different from the usual TF2 “conversion” that’ll make people question how or why I did it is what fuels me. Lol. Besides that, it’s only an Everest-10 getting modified, so I’m fairly certain no one will give a hoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kANAkSz; 06-11-2021 at 10:19 PM.
kANAkSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blasphemous EvereSCX-10 ‘01 Tacoma Drift Build?! WTF?!?

Subbed. I like odd builds. No reason it won’t drift if the shocks/suspension is tuned good. May not win any comps but it’d be fun.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Subbed. I like odd builds. No reason it won’t drift if the shocks/suspension is tuned good. May not win any comps but it’d be fun.

Never done comps & probably never will. Lol. All my rigs are built for having fun with & just to be different. Lol. Mahaloz for taking the time to read & sub to build. I’ll be sure to keep it updated. Lol.

& just to show I like being different…

Yellow truck:
Converted Redcat RS10 with 4 door Mojave cab with 2 door bed on Axial SCX10 frame rails with 6x6 extension. Wheelbase sitting at 13.75”.

Blue Truck:
Gen8 PACK modified to fit RC4WD 4Runner body. Wheelbase sitting at 11”

Silver Truck:
Tamiya Tundra body on Everest-10 w/Gen7 frame Frankensteined to Everest-10 chassis for body mounting & shock relocation. Wheelbase sitting at 11.5”

Stock Everest-10 currently undergoing drift build.

Tamiya Castrol Civic EG6 body done up Time Attack/BattleGang style on an old HSP Flying Fish drift chassis.

Also got a WPL C24 body on a modified “Hawaiian Style” MN90 chassis & an old HPI Mini Savage XS flux for bashing (where my motor choice came from cuz that thing BOOGIES on 2s & 3s )

Last edited by kANAkSz; 06-11-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Them crawlers have a little 808 flair to them.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #5

Got some color on her. Went with some Tamiya PS-53 (Lame Flake), PS-37 (Translucent Red), PS-41 (Bright Silver) & backed it with the only black I had on hand, which was a color matched spray can of paint for my actual car.

The lame flake just looks amazing against the translucent red. Really pops in the sun light.

Added on a few of the supplied stickers for the body, put on the front headlight & turn signal lenses & used the semi see thru taillight sticker on the rear.

Masked off the front bumper & sprayed the bottom half & grill & headlights with some flat black & went ahead & sprayed the top portion of the bumper with some PS-41 & used some Metalcast red spray paint to color match the Tamiya paint. Was skeptical the PS-37 wouldn’t match or look very well being painted in reverse order, so I’m happy I went this route. Got the color to match pretty spot on. Also sprayed a few light coats of the lame flake to match the body.

Made a front splitter & rear diffuser out of some sheet styrene & currently working on some wing supports that may or may not be used with the build.

Ran of out tube styrene, so finishing the roll cage will be later on this week. Interior cage frame is pretty much almost complete. Just need to add a few more bracing points that are visible in the windows & complete the bed portion of the cage. Drilled out holes above the outer corners of the windows where the cage will feed into & be glued to the interior cage once complete.

Frame rails, shocks & servo splitters arrive this Wednesday. SCX10 frame braces already in. Suspension links & steering components should be here tomorrow or Wednesday as well. Transmitter & receiver with lights should arrive end of the week as well as the 4000kv motor. Just gonna swap out the ESC from my HPI XS Mini whenever I wanna use either one. I never really use more than one rig at a time so no issues there.

Need to reorder another set of flares as I misjudged a few things before shortening them. After paint, I made the realization I messed up, so they will be repainted & repurposed for my civic body.

Should be a productive week should I find the time.

Anyway, enjoy some pics…

Old 06-14-2021, 11:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Ready to see it ripping around the garage floor now.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:46 PM   #7

Wing supports done & painted. Made some custom end caps to add a little more aggressiveness & color matched them to the body.

Next time around, I may go with a thinner gauge styrene. This stuff I bought is hard to work with even with a sharp x-acto knife. Lol.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #8

Redcat Gen7 CVA’s & high steering knuckles in. Much better angle & very minimal chatter at full lock. No binds in the steering or axles. Need to find a high speed servo to swap the stock one out.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:02 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Cool build! Have you checked for 3d printable c-hubs on (thingiverse.com) or something to add camber to the front axle? That lower C-mount is taking a lot of stress with the top only supporting it laterally.

I wonder how you did the lower mount. did you drill the out at an angle to allow the knuckle to slant? I'm surprised it's not super wobbly if you did. I think the upper kingpin being triangulated would help. Genius on the camber idea nonetheless. I may have to design something 3d printable for this.

Quick question on the body. Did it include the grille, headlight lenses, handles for the $50 or so it goes for? All website pics are confusing, and rc4wd site/descriptiond iare ust rubbish.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Cool build! Have you checked for 3d printable c-hubs on (thingiverse.com) or something to add camber to the front axle? That lower C-mount is taking a lot of stress with the top only supporting it laterally.

I wonder how you did the lower mount. did you drill the out at an angle to allow the knuckle to slant? I'm surprised it's not super wobbly if you did. I think the upper kingpin being triangulated would help. Genius on the camber idea nonetheless. I may have to design something 3d printable for this.

Quick question on the body. Did it include the grille, headlight lenses, handles for the $50 or so it goes for? All website pics are confusing, and rc4wd site/descriptiond iare ust rubbish.

It’s actually still surprisingly stable. I shaved maybe only 1mm where it bent to relieve a little stress, but I highly doubt that had any effect on it whatsoever. There’s very little forward & reverse movement after deleting the top mount, but time will tell how well the plastic holds up. Other than the shaving, the bottom mount is literally just slightly bent with the “camber arm” pulling on the knuckle providing a little tension to aid in its stability. (just guessing here, but when I swapped out the dog bones & knuckles, I had to pull the camber adjustment arm quite a bit to reach its axle mounting point)

If the hub gives out over time, ill just swap to the aluminum version & cut off the top mount. Lol

I originally was going to try incorporate suspension arms from a drift chassis, but staring at both items trying to figure out how to incorporate IFS suspension components onto a solid axle was a challenge in itself. Opted for the easier route which is what you see. Lol.

As for the body, it is the complete set for about $60-ish. Comes complete with the body, bumpers, grill/headlight piece, all mounting/securing hardware, window masks, stickers, light buckets & all lenses. It’s well worth it…but I’m a hard body guy, so getting a complete set like this for $66 out the door was a steal for me. Only opted for hard bodies cuz I hated painting lexan before, but I’ve gotten better at it since the last time I painted a body…5/6 years ago. Lol

EDIT::
Looking at how I have the camber arms set up, I could probably fab something up out of aluminum or something solid that can slide in between the axle & servo plate & utilize both servo plate mounts as one solid piece, create a slight bend downwards on the ends for the turn buckle & attach the link on the hub for a more stable mount to prevent any forward & backward movements of the top of the hub & still yield camber adjustability. Hmmmm…need to tweak now.

How well does 3D printed parts hold up? Never used any printed parts besides some WPL to 12mm hex pieces.

Last edited by kANAkSz; 06-16-2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:28 AM   #11

drifting with a solid axle. hmmmm! cool idea and it looks impressive!

I would have stretched a drift chassis to that truck and saved a heap of effort, but good on ya! (and I guess that can always be your fallback plan if you want it to drift really nicely!)
nightro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightro View Post
drifting with a solid axle. hmmmm! cool idea and it looks impressive!

I would have stretched a drift chassis to that truck and saved a heap of effort, but good on ya! (and I guess that can always be your fallback plan if you want it to drift really nicely!)

It’s funny you mention that, cuz that was my first venture into drifting. My father in law gave me an old HSP Flying Fish chassis back in ‘15 & I knew very little about hobby grade rc’s.

I unknowingly bought an old RC4WD lexan hilux body not knowing the wheelbases were waaaaay off & found out the hard way. Lol.

Went thru 2 bodies. First one I cut up & tried to shorten it. Didn’t like the way it turned out. The 2nd body, I stretched the chassis out using 2 chassis’s attached by a steel/aluminum plate (can’t remember what I used) & it worked for a while. Had no idea where to get longer driveshafts, so I ended up epoxying another dog bone coupler, or whatever you wanna call it, on both front & rear diffs to extend the reach to use the stock dog bone.

Eventually got more into it, swapped the front diff for a one-way diff & swapped the rear diff for a Yokomo oversteer kit, which was not fun trying to fit. Lol. But I got it to work.

Here’s a vid of my old stretched drift chassis on my YT. Lol

https://youtu.be/EgXtFSzDwho

No one here in Hawaii has done anything like this that I know of. I would have gone stretching a drift chassis route again, but I wanted to venture into unknown territory & attempt at making my own scratch built, “airbagged” Frankenstein’d crawler drift chassis.

Besides, the “wow” & “awe” factor this thing will get when it hits the pavement or when the body comes off to show the chassis setup, will just make people look at me & question “how in the …?” Followed by the essential “why?!?” & that’s what I enjoy. It gives others ideas too on how to convert old or broken rigs into something else to be out of the box. Lol

Last edited by kANAkSz; 06-16-2021 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

Buttoned up the interior roll cage & bed cage portion last night. Attempting to make a slim roof basket as well. Also got around to making some blast pipes for looks. Need to go the other route like I’ve done before & use a couple chopped down desk pen holders for the chrome tips.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #14

So she’s pretty much buttoned up. No overdrive gears yet. Gonna make a few test runs & see how it performs.

Last edited by kANAkSz; 06-24-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Wild! I dig it!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Thats pretty sick man, good job!
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Yup definitely better on the red and white rims.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
W1ck3d0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Noice! Love the paint!
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:52 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks to this build, I've decided to finally git my drift truck started lol. It's done out of spare parts and scrap metal I've had layin around. I post a build thread in the miscellaneous section if you want to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited by W1ck3d0n3; 06-27-2021 at 04:18 AM.
W1ck3d0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:39 AM   #20

Well, could some mods could help move this to the miscellaneous section that I was unaware existed please? Lol

On another note,

Did a joy ride that lasted less than 5 minutes due to the ESC crapping itself, but a few things came up during that time frame.

1) I need new tires on the red lipped rims. As it sits now, on a flat surface, I have about 2mm of clearance from the bottom of the “pumpkin” & the ground. Using the bigger 2.2 drift wheels helps alleviate this but the 1.9s just look better.

2) It drifts surprisingly well for what it is, emphasis on “what it is.” Lol. Need to somehow narrow the axles & reduce the amount of camber in the rear. If that doesn’t work, I’m just gonna pick up some portal axles & swap them out.

Found out axial overdrive gears work good in these axles & found a good write up on how to adapt them to the E-10 on here, so I may go that route instead of the Gen8 OD gears, which I don’t think would have fit anyway.

All in all, it’s still a blast to see this thing go sideways. Few things to button up & tweak, but its a fun basher drifter to just mess around with.

Already got my next project in mind. DIY extended RWD drift chassis & I contacted RC4WD about their old Yota lexan body. While they don’t have any old stock floating around, they may be able to help me recreate my first drift truck I made. Hopefully they still have an old mold. Awaiting a response on what they can help me with. Here’s to hoping.

Blasphemous EvereSCX-10 ‘01 Tacoma Drift Build?! WTF?!? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build) 802coma Axial SCX-10 190 08-08-2016 06:39 PM
c1 honcho/tacoma my first build thread fish-hunter Axial SCX-10 35 05-19-2014 11:07 AM
Long time Tacoma build rockhugger Axial SCX-10 16 03-19-2014 11:59 AM
Honcho now Tacoma Build!!! BOWTIE Axial SCX-10 236 08-18-2011 11:49 AM