Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: GSpeed TGH-V3 vs V1-C1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default GSpeed TGH-V3 vs V1-C1

I have a project in mind and I'm debating between these two chassis kits. As far as I can tell just based on pictures, it seems there are two differences:
1. Removable shock towers vs fixed
2. Flat skid vs angled

My first question is, is the skid flat (horizontal) on the V1-C1?

Second question, are the dimensions otherwise the same? I don't know the specific name, but the "rise" - the difference in height between lower skid portion and the upper sections above the axles - are they the same?

Finally, super huge favor / request - does anyone have both that they could grab a picture of next to each other to compare? That would be great.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mash914; 08-25-2021 at 07:19 PM.
mash914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: GSpeed TGH-V3 vs V1-C1

Those 2 chassis are in separate weight classes. Depending on your terrain and what you plan on doing with the rig will weigh heavily in the decision.
Starting with the v1c1, it’s a class 1 frame. That’s why the skid is flat and the shock towers are removable, it’s part of the rules. It’s aluminum, so has some more weight than the carbon fiber and it’s really oriented for a performance based sorrca class 1 truck. Still a very capable chassis.
Second the V3, the angled skid helps with break over, the shock towers are angled more and give you more mounting positions than you’ll ever need. This chassis is designed for the more modified class 2 and unlimited class 3 type rigs.

I don’t currently have both, but I’ve built both. Think of the v1c1 chassis being your daily driver thats you’ve slightly modified and the V3 as the truck that might not quite be street legal anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:10 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash914 View Post
I have a project in mind and I'm debating between these two chassis kits. As far as I can tell just based on pictures, it seems there are two differences:
1. Removable shock towers vs fixed
2. Flat skid vs angled

My first question is, is the skid flat (horizontal) on the V1-C1?

Second question, are the dimensions otherwise the same? I don't know the specific name, but the "rise" - the difference in height between lower skid portion and the upper sections above the axles - are they the same?

Finally, super huge favor / request - does anyone have both that they could grab a picture of next to each other to compare? That would be great.

Thanks,
Matt
If you are comping it can make a difference depending on class and what rule set you follow.

If you are comping in a class that does not allow a slanted skid, setting the rear suspension so it is higher in the rear sort of does the same thing, but going that route may cause other issues with tipping.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I’m getting a set of v3 rails in the mail on Friday, and I can compare to my c1. If someone hasn’t got it already, just pm me on Friday and I can get it for you.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thank you all so much.

I'm not really intending to do any actual comp stuff, so those distinctions won't sway the decision.

I'm undecided because I like the shock mounts on the V3, but also like the flexibility of being able to change out mounts if I needed to.

As far as the angled skid - I'm less worried about the last few percent of capability and I'm torn on how I feel about the weird driveshaft angles a tilted transmission might create. I'm probably overthinking this part though.

I think the deciding factor may be how much room for axles there is. I may want this one to sit pretty low.

And twade984 - that would be fantastic. I'll remind you tomorrow
Old 08-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Chassis showed up early, hopefully these give you enough of an idea.

They are almost identical besides fixed shock mounts, front upper link mounting location and the angled skid. The c1 chassis does allow for slightly further forward shock mounting in the rear, but from what I can tell the v3 would be just fine down to an 11.4” wb. The c1 pictured is at 11.4” FYI.

If that’s not a good enough comparison, let me know and I can take a rail off the c1 Saturday.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I don’t comp myself either, but I have the terrain that justifies a build like the v3. Me and my buddies all built “cheater” rigs just to out do each other. I say go big and just do a v3, you won’t need to swap the shock towers out and if you want to do the forward motor mount they make the plates for that. They make them for the v1c1 also. But if you’re looking for a performance based rig you can’t beat the v3 and who doesn’t love carbon fiber

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I’d like to know specifics on the project you have in mind. C1 chassis can be handy if you need to remove the shock mounts and do a cantilever or something for bed clearance. Or even make your shock mounts if needed.

Either way is a good choice IMO

Old 08-27-2021, 03:55 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Love my v3, n its more for trail n rock mix type of runs. But i do plan on goin to scale nats with it in april. Its worlds different than my other c2 rig using the vs4 chassis. Like fricker said, cant go wrong with a v3 chassis.

Does seem like much of a difference in angle of the skid between the 2, but come to performance u can tell it. I need to pick up a v1c1 chassis so i can get started on my c1 build
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:07 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks again for all of the feedback. And especially thanks for the photos - they definitely helped.

As far as the plan, it isn't fully formed yet, but so far I have 2 mostly stock Bodied TRX4s (Bronco and G500) and an Enduro with an LC70. I definitely lean more toward the trail / scale side of things in what I prefer to build, but I'd like my next one to be a bit more competent. Body wise, I know everybody does Powerwagons, but I'm tired of messing with tires rubbing fenders and bumpers and stuff and they're cool and I want one

So basically I'd be looking to build something a bit more scale looking than a full comp truck, but that has less compromises than what I've build so far (I guess I'm sort of heading towards a class 2 type build). Overall I think you guys may have convinced me that the V3 is the way to go.

One more question - If I need to modify the frame rails (cutting / drilliing), how risky is it with the carbon? I'm leaning toward the aluminum, but if I decided to go carbon, I'd want to know I can drill holes without it cracking and splintering.

Last edited by mash914; 08-27-2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #11
RCC Addict

There are a couple people on here that have drilled their carbon rails successfully, for sure check out B-mow’s multiple flat rail chassis threads, there’s good info and pictures in them.

I personally prefer carbon or g10 over aluminum. Aluminum is the heaviest of all three, I don’t care for how it looks and don’t want to have to paint it, and they have some crazy sharp edges. Minor complaints, sure, but it is what it is.

A flat rail chassis build can be overwhelming due to the sheer possibilities and directions available. Fmm, 2.low, axial 3 gear, element stealth x, vfd, ar44’s, ar45’s, ar45 portals, Capra axles, vp curries, vp rock jocks, vp d44’s, Trx4 axles, enduro axles, and so on.

No matter what you choose, I look forward to seeing it.

GSpeed TGH-V3 vs V1-C1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's GSPEED TGH-V3 LCG Chassis Build B-MOW71 1.9 Scale Rigs 81 02-10-2023 06:16 AM
Gspeed/TGH/Enduro build for class 3 garyk 1.9 Scale Rigs 35 07-02-2021 01:17 PM
topher builds an Element Kit + Gspeed TGH V3 Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 22 05-13-2021 11:30 AM