Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The bama phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: The bama phoenix

Got a lil more done on the phoenix. Its comin along slow, but progressive. The ierc bumper n panhard mount came in yesterday. The panhard mount fit the bill quite well. Had to extend the bar a bit to get things centered. The ar44 version from gspeed dropped to low n was off to the right side to much, n the 3 point flat mount was to far to the left side. The ierc sits just a touch closer to the chassis rail n allows u to move the panhard bar forward or directly above the axle with 4 different mounting holes.

Also got the ierc front bumper in, got the raw flavor with fairlead. I think it looks pretty good with the phoenix body. I did have to make some adjustment to the inner fenders. I was trying to use the original mount holes in the fenders, but the bumper wouldnt allow for that to happen. But i was able to lower the body mount by atleast 3mm, if not 4 or 5mm. Had to cut the fenders enough to tuck them around the bumper. There was enough meat there to use the 3rd hole back on the v3 chassis to bolt the fenders to the chassis. Im rather pleased with how it turned out.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Lookin' good Bama.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Yes sir. I need to get one of these things. Continue the build sir. Those pics are super clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:47 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Thanks fellas! Its been a slow build, but im enjoyin ever bit of it. I think this will be a great rig once its done. Hopefully ill b able to pick up some paint this weekend. Cant wait to get some color on this thing
Old 12-02-2021, 06:38 AM   #65
RCC Addict

It’s coming along great Adam

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Thanks Tom! Gettin ansy n wanna hurry up n finish it lol. Impatience sucks so bad, i have to force myself to take my time. When i tear it down for final build, i think im goina order some anodized hardware to go with that blue cf. Just not sure wat color(s) yet
Old 12-07-2021, 05:33 AM   #67
Go Buckeyes!

Man, it's looking really good bama!!

Shift servos and all are coming together nicely! Great idea on the trans brace! That should do the trick!

I'm digging that front bumper! It definitely fits the body well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fookison View Post
Speaking of issues with delivery, I finally got my VP Phoenix today. I ordered it from Amain on October 20 and it just arrived today! You fellows have already worn out your rigs and I just opened the box today! Thanks for all your comments on the builds Brian and Indy, etc. Looking forward to getting started now and following your leads.
Glad to hear your Phoenix has arrived! Don't have to worry about rigs being worn out yet! Mine is still on the bench and hoping to get it completed soon!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #68
Slow is the new Fast

the chassis came together beautifully. Love the bumper, minimal and functional

The OD shift servo also flexes the chassis on the stock rig. Even with endpoints dialed in there is still some flex.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:33 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Thanks brian n smog! Im waitin on my nsdrc micro servos to ship. It said est dec 2, now it says dec 22. Thatll help get some things lined out when they finally get here.

I did get my gspeed sliders in today. I think, with the way the body is sittin, i can use the outter part of the VP sliders. It sits up just enuf i think the body post will line up, just have to figure out how to mount them to the v3 sliders. Ill get some pics posted up in a bit.

Ive got the body put together to check fitment n wb. It fits alot better than expected. I did have to do some trimmin on the servo cover on the back of the cab, but it sits down between the rear shock towers nicely. Believe ill get some lexan sheets n make a full drop bed n tailgate aswell. If for nothin more than scale points lol
Old 12-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #70
RCC Addict

I think if i get some angle, plastic would work to keep it light, i can mount the body sliders n still use the cab corner body posts. Old tupperware container for the corner peices? Oooh, ive got a ton of small hardware containers that are a bit more rigid plastic than tupperware containers. Ill have to see if i can find them lol.

Brian, u mentioned u were waitin on your driver to hit landfall. I think ive got a driver for mine lol. My youngest son had to have ALL the fnaf figures. Well we just so happen to grab one we already had, so i snagged onto her. I think shes goina fit perfectly with no need of surgery, i hope... Meet Vanny...

Heres a few pics of the body mounted to the v3 chassis. Like i said, it fits way better than expected. Ive even got an idea for how to mount the rear bumper post. Ierc has a cross brace for the v3 thats flat across the chassis when mounted. I could drill the holes n mount the gspeed body post mounts under the ierc brace so they hang in the right direction for the bumper post.

Heres a better veiw of the front body mount. As for the inner fenders, im not sure how im goina tackle them yet. Do i heat them n bend the down on front of the sliders? Maybe make some sort of mount where they would sit on the top of the slider after heatin n bendin them down? Or just cut off the tab with the hole in it?

Im still searchin for more ideas of how to mount this n that without makein it look gawdy. Any ideas yall think would help are much appreciated. More to come soon...

On to the short picture show lol

Old 12-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Hey yall, been a minute lol. Not a whole lot for an update. Finally got a tracking number on the nsdrc micro servos, so hopefully theyll b he this week. Ive been pondering a drop bed, so i tryed a few ideas n managed to come up with one. Its not perfect, but i think itll work for scale points.

I used a piece of kydex i bought awhile back for the floor. Then found some thin clear plastic, maybe lexan?, from a proline bumper package. Its thin enuf to form n use exsisting hardware to hold it. I used the top bedrail mounts, the cross brace mounts, n the upper tail light mount screws to pinch the bedside pieces together. I used the corners of the cover piece of clear to make arches for the shock towers. Like i said, its not the purdiest, but itll do. Thinkin of maybe makin an airgate for it. Yall remember those? 'Supposed to save gas n get better fuel milage'. They never did though lol

Still deciding what colors i wanna go with. Hopefully have that figured out soon. Im ready to get her out on the trails n rocks.

Heres some pics of what lil progress ive made so far...

Thanks for checkin it out fellars!

Old 12-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #72
RCC Addict

I forgot to i hadnt posted about the sliders yet. Ended up gettin the IERC 2 piece oens for the gspeed. They fit the bill perfectly. The other piece in the pic was the rear cross brace. I had an idea to use the body post mounts from gspeed to mount the bumper, but the bumper posts are bigger around than body post. So i had to scratch that idea. But i ended up drilling 2 additional hole in the cross brace the same width as the bumper post n just screwing the bumper to the bottom of the cross brace. The 2 pre-exsisting holes, i used them to secure the kydex floor.

Really wish i had a 3D printer lol. The bumper mounting isnt exacty the route i wanted to go. Kinda feels cobbled together back there to me. Maybe ill find another option soon thats better...

Old 12-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Looking good. I’ve been messing with the kydex a little to. The stuff is definitely useful in our hobby. Sliders look like they fit great. Keep us posted my man.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #74
RCC Addict

Thank u brother! Bmow used it for a motor guard on his v3 with a vfd, which kinda led to me gettin a piece to try out too. I was goina get some styrene, but this worked out a bit better. Plus its got a pretty cool design on it
Old 01-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Its been a bit, but i finally got another update. The nsdrc micro servos came in last week, along with the gmade rsd shock collars. When i ordered the servos, i forgot to get the horns to go with them, so they should b here monday.

So this mornin i started gettin the electronics lined out. I wanted to mount the micros up front on either side of the trans, but the o/d servo wouldve been in the front driveshaft. And the dig servo wouldve been a lil to close for the motor wires. But the micros dont weigh enuf to cause much difference in front to rear bias. Plus these micro servos fit nicely inside the body with room to spare.

I had to drill new holes in the driver side sliders so the battery would sit flat. Theres just enuf room for the battery next to the o/d shift arm without touchin.

Followed suit of a few others n got the gmade rsd shock collars. They fit perfectly n turn smooth.

Ive got to get a servo winch ordered yet n still deciding whether to stick with the phoenix links or get the hardcore hi clearance links. Thats all ive got for yall so far. Hope to have some color in the mix soon.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #76
Go Buckeyes!

Nice progress so far bama!

Looks like the build is coming along great!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Thank u brother! Bmow used it for a motor guard on his v3 with a vfd, which kinda led to me gettin a piece to try out too. I was goina get some styrene, but this worked out a bit better. Plus its got a pretty cool design on it

Nice updates! I found that you can bond the Kydex with MEK to!

Old 01-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Thanks brian! Think im goina get some clear n flat clear n do a 2 tone brown. Was leanin towards purple silver blue n black, but had another idea lol. Plus have to wait for decent weather to paint. Its been in the 50s n 60s thru the week, then get screwed on the weekend with 30s smh

Thanks for that tip travis!

Ill have updates on the C1 soon. Im thinkin outside the box on this build, or should i say the tank lol. Not goina leak to much, dont wanna ruin what i have in store lol
Old 04-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Hey yall, been awhile since last update. Been tryin to get the c1 caught up n ended up finishin it first. Ive managed to get back on this one finally. Overlook some of the paint runs n fades, the weather has been back n forth here. Plus i didnt get the tape lines pressed down good enuf apparently.

I did get a servo winch installed. I need to get it setup as far as speed goes.

I matched the paint with the locked up rc beadlocks. I think it came out pretty good. Didnt really intend to match the box colors, but it did come out close lol. The tinted window mask help hide the runs in the windows for the most part.

I was able to get Vanny from FNAF to drive this beast. Shes a bit short legged but i think she'll manage. Goina add a few scale accs for the extra points.

Im hoping to get some run time before next weekend. But for the most part, i think ive got this one wrapped up though. Ill likely add a light kit later on.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Sick

The bama phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bama Projects JDIRCC Alabama 6 01-11-2015 07:29 AM
Southeast Bama smuggl1n Alabama 18 07-11-2013 09:05 PM