Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The bama phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The bama phoenix

Shoot yeah!! I'll do what I can to make it work.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2023, 05:55 PM   #122
RCC Addict

Dang, its been awhile since i posted here. The v3 phoenix is still goin strong. The cliffhanger body finally had enough though. It split up into the windshield, so i decided it was time for a new body.

Ended up goin with the new PL 67 f100, good lookin body imo. I did end up cuttin the headlights n turn signals out of those bulky stickers. They just didnt look right with the darker stickers on the lighter grille. I got caught up watchin 'the ranch' on netflix, which gave me the idea for the paint scheme.

Have any of yall had issues with the front end skipping under pressure? I noticed it in the past few times ive gone out. It doesnt do it all the time though. Watchin it, it seemed like the front diff had some teeth striped, even sounded like it was comin from the front end. So i bought a diff set, which came in today, n pulled the front axle apart. All looked good, added some fresh grease n everything spins smooth.

So i moved on to the next possible culprit, the rear of the trans. The dawgs looked good, meshin together just like new. So i pulled the rear case apart n started checkin gears. Both on the front output looked great, the front center gear had half of a tooth missing, but it was nowhere to be found in the case... The rear center gear, as well as the rear output gear looks good too. It was just the one that had half of a tooth missing. Thankfully i had another set of twin gears from my straight axle phoenix.

Cleaned everything up, greased it good, n threw it back together. Spins smooth as day one. So we'll see how she does next weekend. My buddy told me about a comp in cartersville GA on the 16th. So ill give her a good run on the courses. I cant wait!

But im curious to hear if anybody else has had this issue. It was only on the 6% side, that it would skip. Just a reminder, im runnin a mamba x/slate 2850kv on 4s.

Thanks for checkin in guys!

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:31 AM   #123
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
As for the trans flex at the rear, ive came up with a decent solution. I used a rodend that takes a m3 size screw, a 6mm n a 9mm spacer, n a long screw (cant remember the length). Wish i had a metal rodend, just for the sake of not stripping it out. But with the servo endpoints set, it shouldnt be an issue.

I see it! The rod end with spacers looks like a great option for mounting the rear of the VFD.

Thanks for the tip! I forgot I saw this in this thread back then! Was nice to revisit your build!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:49 PM   #124
RCC Addict

Thanks brian! I need to update on this one. Its got a new body, wheels, n tires
Old 06-05-2023, 05:21 PM   #125
RCC Addict

I bought a set of the PL baja pro x tires at ECC, thanks Trace! Had a set of VP 1.9 105, in the clear flavor, layin around, so i mounted them up. Wasnt real sure about them at first, they didnt grip like i had expected. But i pushed on n they started scrubbin in, by the end of the day, they were grabbin pretty well everything. Theyre a bit on the wide side, but i likem.

Oh, brian, the pic above of that rear trans mount. Im not runnin those power HD servos. I got the micro servo adapters n im runnin nsdrc micros for the shift servos

Old 09-27-2023, 06:32 PM   #126
RCC Addict

Holy crap, its been a minute since inupdated this thread lol. Last weekend was a fun one.

For those that dont know, i built this phoenix using a gspeed v3 chassis, for scale nats a yr ago this past april. N shes takin a beatin lol.

That bein said, i come across a slight clickin sunday. The more i run her, the louder it got thru the day. If yall remember, i chipped a tooth on a gear awhile back, n i just replaced that gear. Ive been runnin the sintered gears since day one, pullin back flips off trees, n run 4s at all times in this rig.

So i decided to pull the trans tonight, n it was worse than last time. Im really suprised they lasted this long. Thankfully i had a set of machined gears i picked up from twade awhile back. Heres some pics of the damage...

It destroyed one of the spacer washers lol. N i pulled teeth out of the case as i wiped the old grease out. Last time, i never did find the tooth that chipped off.

Got it all greased up n back together, ready for more hard lines n trails

Old 09-27-2023, 07:18 PM   #127
Go Buckeyes!

Um, yeah, I'd say there was a clicking noise! Looks like you got your money's worth out of the sintered gears! Good to know them stock gears can handle all of that abuse for that long of a time!

Lookin' good now with the new gears and fresh grease. It'll be interesting to see how longer and better the machined gears hold up.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:48 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

Machined gears are always welcomed. How were the cases and bearing pockets/shafts? Not quite like an exploded bearing causing misalignment.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:19 AM   #129
RCC Addict

Hopefully i wont have to replace them again. Bearings looked n felt good, so i reused them. Case wasnt damaged, nothin exploded, just broke teeth off

Old 10-22-2023, 06:01 PM   #130
RCC Addict

Had a blast at halloween haul n crawl! Met tons of new people, talked to joe from exocaged a bit, n hit some great old lines n found some new ones too.

That is, til disaster struck. But, after a yr n half to two yrs, i wasnt mad. It was bound to happen sooner or later. The right rear portal box decided to let loose, 15 ft above my head on a ledge. Thankfully i was able to drive it down, draggin the tire. I didnt notice the side blew out until i got back to the truck.

Im baffled really, ive never seen a gear in such a tight area grenade like this. The cover is fine, it just blew the axle housing out. The top gear, its almost smooth, it sheared pretty well every tooth. The bottom gear on the other hand, split in two! Yes, u read that correctly, 2 pieces. The cross pin is still straight, n from wat i can tell, in one piece. The stub shaft looks fine, as do the bearings, other than bein covered in shrapnell.

Thankfully, Cody from dixieland rc, happen to have a new rear portal axle. So $119 n 10 min later, i was back in action.

So im curious, have any of yall had the portal gears from the phoenix split in two? Guess im goina pick up another axle housing n build another one. Ive got new portal gears hangin on the bench.

Heres some pics of the carnage

Old 10-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #131
Go Buckeyes!

Have I ever seen portal gears split in two??!! Um, no!

Glad to see you were able to get er fixed up and back out on the rocks. Cool that Dixieland RC had the parts you needed on site. Looks like a great time overall. I saw that you posted vids on the Tube, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but I will!

Always neat to meet new fellow U-tubers! I get the feelin' Joe from Exocaged would be a trip to crawl with!

The bama phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bama Projects JDIRCC Alabama 6 01-11-2015 07:29 AM
Southeast Bama smuggl1n Alabama 18 07-11-2013 09:05 PM
OK Bama Scalers hbj069 Alabama 6 05-18-2010 06:00 AM
Any Onroad in Bama? tanmonster Alabama 4 03-03-2010 07:19 AM