Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The bama phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: The bama phoenix

Thats perfect, thank u brother! Thats pretty well the direction i was going, but wanted to make sure before i got to far along
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #42
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Thats perfect, thank u brother! Thats pretty well the direction i was going, but wanted to make sure before i got to far along

Welcome! Can’t wait to see it all come together!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Welcome! Can’t wait to see it all come together!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neither can i! The blue v3 rails n all the chassis parts are supposed to be here wed. So ill have to make 2 of these skids, well 3. Ill have 2 v3 chassis, one with a vfd n one with a vfd twin, n a v1c1 with the vfd.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Hey hey yall, finally got an update. Dang usps, i swear.

My blue cf gspeed v3 chassis and parts was supposed to b here yesterday. But according to trackin history, it made an extra stop. But they finally arrived today. Cant wait to get started on this build again! Id start on it tonite, but im wore slap out. Hopefully we dont work sat n i can get some of it knocked out. Really need to work on the course some more while its nice out in the afternoons too.

Hope ive got enuf hardware for this build, may have to order some more team knk stainless. Would be pretty cool if they had colored hardware too.

This chassis is so purdy! Its hard to capture everything with the camera. Gspeed really nailed these new v3 rails! Heres a few pics for yall to gawk at til i can get it together lol

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #45
Go Buckeyes!

Man, I love the look of them blue CF rails! Looks like I'll have to build another G-rig!

Glad to hear it all arrived! I too have had issues with USPS and especially Fed-Ex! Luckily most of my packages come UPS and they never let me down!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Man, I love the look of them blue CF rails! Looks like I'll have to build another G-rig!

Glad to hear it all arrived! I too have had issues with USPS and especially Fed-Ex! Luckily most of my packages come UPS and they never let me down!

Speaking of issues with delivery, I finally got my VP Phoenix today. I ordered it from Amain on October 20 and it just arrived today! You fellows have already worn out your rigs and I just opened the box today! Thanks for all your comments on the builds Brian and Indy, etc. Looking forward to getting started now and following your leads.
Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #47
RCC Addict

The colored cf is a great look. Id like to find some colored/anodized hardware kits, but all i can find is 10 pcs n 20 pcs sets, which would get a bit expensive by the time u get all u needed for a build.

Glad to hear u finally got yours fook. Havent got to wear mine out yet lol. Its in its box tucked away, but not for long. Cant wait to get started on it again. Appreciate the follow, just take your time n enjoy it brother. Its a work of art.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #48
Slow is the new Fast

Someone pass the popcorn, this should be fun. The blue carbon fibre is looking a little psychedelic.

I am building mine at a snails pace. I did assemble my links yesterday however

That said my paint job is coming along, so soon I will be popping all of the pieces together. Gotta get the build thread realized
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Hey smog, hows it goin? Atleast u made some progress lol. Tryin to take my time on this build as well. Wanna get this one done right.

Ive got an idea for paint, just have to get the colors i need ordered. Ive got a bit of a scheme in mind. Need to get part of it printed out so i can get it transfered to masking tape. I was goina get stickers/decals made, but then it would get scratched n possibly pulled off the body. So i think im goina try n do the paint myself. Been watching hemistorm for awhile, hopefully i dont mess it up. Need to get on the paint while we still have 70° weather in the afternoon
Old 11-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Need to get on the paint while we still have 70° weather in the afternoon
You better hurry up then, wife tells me its gonna be chilly this weekend.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goos3 View Post
You better hurry up then, wife tells me its gonna be chilly this weekend.
NOOOOOO!!!!! Lol. I hate the cold! Id rather sweat than freeze. If i have too, ill do it in the little shop at work where theres heat. But this is bama, its lible to be 75 christmas day 🤷*♂️
Old 11-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
NOOOOOO!!!!! Lol. I hate the cold! Id rather sweat than freeze. If i have too, ill do it in the little shop at work where theres heat. But this is bama, its lible to be 75 christmas day *
Yeah trust me I'm only a little south of you and headed north next week. I'm bringing at least 1 scx10 and hope its somewhat warm while I'm on vacation.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2021, 03:14 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goos3 View Post
Yeah trust me I'm only a little south of you and headed north next week. I'm bringing at least 1 scx10 and hope its somewhat warm while I'm on vacation.

Any good spots to go crawl over your way? I usually go to cheaha. Theres a few trail heads id like to go check out at some point. I help out a guy here, usually about this time of yr up until march/april, haulin litter n feed. We take quite a bit over that way
Old 11-20-2021, 03:25 AM   #54
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Any good spots to go crawl over your way? I usually go to cheaha. Theres a few trail heads id like to go check out at some point. I help out a guy here, usually about this time of yr up until march/april, haulin litter n feed. We take quite a bit over that way
Not really, I used to head up to Moss Rock several years ago but now that I'm getting back into the RC groove I just haven't been back up that ways. Might could check out Minooka Park in Jemison, looks like there is no general admission fee. I may check it out this weekend.

Last edited by Goos3; 11-20-2021 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:30 AM   #55
RCC Addict

This thing done yet??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
This thing done yet??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive been workin on it a bit this mornin. Was fixin to send u some sneak peek pics. Wanna get some more done before i post an update.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #57
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Hey smog, hows it goin? Atleast u made some progress lol. Tryin to take my time on this build as well. Wanna get this one done right.

Ive got an idea for paint, just have to get the colors i need ordered. Ive got a bit of a scheme in mind. Need to get part of it printed out so i can get it transfered to masking tape. I was goina get stickers/decals made, but then it would get scratched n possibly pulled off the body. So i think im goina try n do the paint myself. Been watching hemistorm for awhile, hopefully i dont mess it up. Need to get on the paint while we still have 70° weather in the afternoon
Nice, Hemistorm is a master old school painter eh? The guy knows how to lay paint like no one else. He only seems to ever paint the inside of the lexan like in the olden days of rc.

I can appreciate the paint challenges. The weather here has dropped below freezing now and we have snow. It’s a great time to hunker down on the builds, but makes rattle can painting impossible. I have tried painting near open windows using fans to exhaust fumes, but it’s a fools game and I am sure I killed half my brain cells playing it. I managed to lay the bulk of the rattle can paint already but will be switching over to the airbrush for winter. I get tired of all the cleaning involved in airbrushing, but the paint sprays beautifully so I will not complain.

Anyway, look forward to see it come together. Appears to be the first g-speed Phoenix?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Mornin everybody, been workin on this wonderful piece of art. Its comin together quicker than i planned. I did miss a few pic in my steps, but mostbof wat i missed has been covered by a few others.

I started with gettin the chassis n skid put together so i could get an idea of where the vfd twin need to cradle in. Made sure to give myself a bit more room than i did on my previous v3, so the spur has plenty of room without touching.

The best place i found for spacing the spur from the dsm was to center up the front mount screws with the back edge of the front shock tower. Which in turn puts the back edge of the right rear mount even with the inner edge of the right rear link slot.

I got my front mount holes marked n drilled. I cut a bit to much off the plastic mount standoffs, so i had to add a spacer to either side, but no big deal. Although, that was my first mistake to tryin to do it correct the first time for a clean look. Just take your time n double check what youre doin, once its cut...thats the end of that lol.

Anyway, got the front mounts done n the trans hangin in there. Now for the rear mount, unless u make a bracket for the rear most mount, u wont b able to use it. Heres where my next mistake came in. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid! Listen to yourself next time...' Smh. I marked the holes for the right rear trans mount on the vader skid, they were marked perfectly. I pulled the trans back out n proceeded to drill the holes, yes i said holes... DONT DO IT! Lmbo, just dont. I drilled both holes while i had the trans out, n they ended up bein off from one another not quite half a hole. Yall, drill one, mount the trans n put a screw in the hole, THEN drill the other hole. I ended up doin that very thing after the fact. So i have one thats a lil oblong, but not so much it effects anything. Plus with counter sinkin the bottom side of the hole, it keeps the screw in place.

With that, i used 5mm spacers under the rear mount. It lets the t-case sit down on the skid, instead of hangin off the mount tab. Ill have to add probably a 2 or 3mm spacer when i get the kydex piece cut n mounted.

Movin right along, i got the links in there n the axles are now dangling under these beautiful blue cf rails. For now im goina use the VP shocks, if they dont perform the way i want or they start to leak, ive got a set of traxxas gts shocks on the side line. I made sure to turn the bleed screw upward though, better safe than sorry. The shocks feel smooth n dont have that initial stiction like the gts do.

After gettin all that done, i got curious. So i proceeded to snag some more parts from the vstrx4. Yeah, it became a donor rig sadly. The vfd went to my v1c1 chassis, which i need to update that thread as well. Anywho... I pulled the lockedup 1.9s off the trx axles. I got lucky, the center hole is just big enuf for the offest of the phoenix hexes. Although i am a bit down about these stubs. Why mess with somethin if it aint broke? Ive got a set of scale hubs i wanted to keep with these wheels, but theyre to small. So if anybody knows of a set that will fit the phoenix axle stubs, please leave a link or guide me in the right direction to get a set.

I also snapped a few pics of the body sittin on the chassis, just for gits n shiggles. Heres some pics for yall to enjoy. Hopefully have more updates soon. Still need to order the sliders, a new servo winch, n a few other things. Next episode we'll be attemptin to get the shift servos mounted correctly. Lookin like the o/d isnt goina wanna play fair lol.

Well time to go for now. Got some work on the 1:1 needin done

Old 11-20-2021, 10:19 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Nice, Hemistorm is a master old school painter eh? The guy knows how to lay paint like no one else. He only seems to ever paint the inside of the lexan like in the olden days of rc.

I can appreciate the paint challenges. The weather here has dropped below freezing now and we have snow. It’s a great time to hunker down on the builds, but makes rattle can painting impossible. I have tried painting near open windows using fans to exhaust fumes, but it’s a fools game and I am sure I killed half my brain cells playing it. I managed to lay the bulk of the rattle can paint already but will be switching over to the airbrush for winter. I get tired of all the cleaning involved in airbrushing, but the paint sprays beautifully so I will not complain.

Anyway, look forward to see it come together. Appears to be the first g-speed Phoenix?
Yeah, he does most his on the inside of the body. Unless its prepainted. I like the added touches he did to the scx6 body.

Dont over do the unintentional huffing lol. Id like to get an airbrush one of these days. Im sure it would make things much easier n cleaner, less runs at that.

I think i am the first to do a v3 phoenix, havent seen any post of another yet anyway. Its comin together quite well. The trick is goina b the shift servos

Old 11-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Well, i couldnt leave well enough alone lol. Ive been makin progress all day today. Needless to say, i didnt get to work on the 1:1 today.

I had a couple of powerhd servos layin around, so they got nominated for mock up. I wanna get some of the nsdrc micro servos n the adapter plates for the shiftin duties.

Definantly need to set endpoints on these. I was using a servo tester to check clearances. The dig one flex the chassis, the o/d one flexes the trans if theyre pushed/pulled to far. But the setup works great!

As for the trans flex at the rear, ive came up with a decent solution. I used a rodend that takes a m3 size screw, a 6mm n a 9mm spacer, n a long screw (cant remember the length). Wish i had a metal rodend, just for the sake of not stripping it out. But with the servo endpoints set, it shouldnt be an issue.

I believe im goina have to move the front upper shock mount holes. With just the steering servo up front, n no motor or other electronics, the front end is already saggin. May try to adjust the collars. Hopefully they turn easy, they were a bear to get on.

Now to get more parts ordered here in the next few weeks so i can continue on. Think ill go thru n see how many of each size screw ive used n order some anodized ones anyway.

Heres where shes sittin now. Thanks for checkin things out! Yalls insight on this has been a big help, much appreciated!

The bama phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bama Projects JDIRCC Alabama 6 01-11-2015 07:29 AM
Southeast Bama smuggl1n Alabama 18 07-11-2013 09:05 PM
OK Bama Scalers hbj069 Alabama 6 05-18-2010 06:00 AM
Any Onroad in Bama? tanmonster Alabama 4 03-03-2010 07:19 AM