Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: I could use some advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #1

Default I could use some advice.

What I’m doing is a ground up build but I’ve hit a few snags. I’m basing this off the parts compatinlbility between the SCX10.2/ VS410/ Enduro/ Trailking. I want a light weight LCG fun rig that in the future I may spec for comp. I’m also on a bit of a budget trying not to go over $650 for the initial. I have VP 80mm shocks and VP 1.9 wheels and tires on the way. As well as a HH revolver 540 V3 1800kv. I am liking the fact that the Stealth X comes from the factory with a slipper delete and may be ordering one today along with the bow house spur adapter. I’m stuck on which axles to get and a esc that will run quietly with the revolver. I’ve sent a ton of emails to what seems like everybody and am either waiting on returns or now have more questions. I’d like to run rockpiraterc towers as I’d like to be able to adjust ride height on my own but also like raked skids and don’t know what to do for a chassis. I have seen the recent VFD twin tranny with included dig but am unsure if I like that one big chunk and if the FMM would be great for a low slung truck. I also don’t know if a dig can be installed on the Stealth. As far as axles I’m thinking a beef tube scx10 rear and if I can find one a wide beef tube front. But I could also run converted 10.3 axles and swap in portals later. I dont know if the OCP of the 10.3 front axle will work however. As far as links go I’d like to get a set of Element FT 12.3’s. Once I nail down axles and a chassis I should be set. Thanks for any help and advice.
P-Cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #2

Default Re: I could use some advice.

i just built a hh sport chassis its the same as the sherpa just aluminum rails instead of carbon im hard on my trucks so i went metal instead and i used 90% of the parts i had laying around from my old capra and an old OG scx10
Benstewr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:33 PM   #3

Ben can you post some pics or pm me. I don’t have a rig or bucket of parts so I’m trying to buy once cry once.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I recommend you take a step back and do some research. You can ask opinions and get a hundred different answers. Do research and narrow down your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Cruise through this 1.9 section, the Sherpa sub thread and gspeed sub thread have a ton of info. I’ve built quite a few flat rails from Capra axles to ar44’s to ar45p’s to ar45 straights and 4ws Capra axles. I’ve like all of them in their own way. The beauty of the lcg stuff is you can’t really go wrong.

But the gspeed v3 chassis sounds like it fits a lot of what you want. I’d pick a set of axles, might just be what you can get your hands on right now. Then I’d highly recommend hardcore links, for the axles you pick, skid chassis panhard and servo mount. They come color coded and fit like a glove

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Cruise through this 1.9 section, the Sherpa sub thread and gspeed sub thread have a ton of info. I’ve built quite a few flat rails from Capra axles to ar44’s to ar45p’s to ar45 straights and 4ws Capra axles. I’ve like all of them in their own way. The beauty of the lcg stuff is you can’t really go wrong.

But the gspeed v3 chassis sounds like it fits a lot of what you want. I’d pick a set of axles, might just be what you can get your hands on right now. Then I’d highly recommend hardcore links, for the axles you pick, skid chassis panhard and servo mount. They come color coded and fit like a glove

I’m having an issue with figuring out whether or not to start with OCP or CP axles. I have a few chassis in mind and have emails sent to those makers to see what they can do. I wanted to start this build with straight axles but wouldn’t mind swapping in another set of portals and driveshafts but don’t know if the pumpkin being shifted would cause issues with driveline binding. Unfortunately I’m not going after a chassis based on the Capra.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I recommend you take a step back and do some research. You can ask opinions and get a hundred different answers. Do research and narrow down your questions.

Thanks for this. I mean I’ve only been researching this since before Christmas and every email, text, chat, or in person convo leads to more questions needing answered. If you can’t for some reason come down off the high horse or won’t help with answering a few questions please feel free to take your own advice and step back from this thread. I’m sure you can find the button that says stop notifications for this thread. And before you go getting pissed at me for snapping back, take a moment and realize that you brought this on yourself with a snarky remark.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:43 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default I could use some advice.

Hey man, we’re just trying to help you. You got some attitude with me also about the searching for mods thread. You’re asking a lot of questions in a lot of different areas and a lot of people are trying to help you. He wasn’t being rude, his post and point is very valid. I’ve built a lot.. and I mean a lot of rigs. The first lcg chassis I built was based off me watching a lot of YouTube videos and seeing what I thought looked to perform the best. Sometimes you have to just dive in and get some personal experience.

At one point I owned 4 rigs all on scx10.3 axles because that’s what I thought I liked. Now I don’t own a single rig on those axles. I found that out by building and driving and building and driving and rebuilding. At one point I owned nothing but portal rigs. Then no portal rigs. Now I’ve got a mix. There’s an overwhelming amount of info and options out there and the lcg world is a literal black hole. Just jump in man you’re not going to make a wrong choice.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Cubed View Post
Thanks for this. I mean I’ve only been researching this since before Christmas and every email, text, chat, or in person convo leads to more questions needing answered. If you can’t for some reason come down off the high horse or won’t help with answering a few questions please feel free to take your own advice and step back from this thread. I’m sure you can find the button that says stop notifications for this thread. And before you go getting pissed at me for snapping back, take a moment and realize that you brought this on yourself with a snarky remark.
Bananaclip is a long-time member here with loads of experience - and he was in no way impolite - you have blasted thread after thread after thread in the forums since you arrived and have received plenty of advice already.

You joined on 03-13-2022, so it's not as if it's obvious to anyone that you've done all this research you claim to have done since "before Christmas." How on earth would we be able to know that, when your first day as a member here was 11 days ago?

If you are new to a particular forum (or forums in general), it pays to see how other users use it. Many users here have been very patiently answering or trying to help with your very wide-ranging questions on seemingly everything under the sun related to crawling.

But you're thread-jacking in threads where people are themselves looking for assistance just because you are thinking of buying a product from the same manufacturer - if you had any forum etiquette whatsoever you'd either post something helpful regarding their issue or not post at all (example - the FlySky radio thread you posted in).

If you'd step back and re-read Bananaclip's post with less of a chip on your shoulder, you'd see that you are quite mistaken in seeing any level of rudeness directed towards you. I would have seen fit to post in a similar fashion but he took the words out of my mouth, so to speak...

NOW, if you want to claim there's snark in a post - you have one you can point to - mine...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:40 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well boys. I’m sitting here drinking coffee reading this. I appreciate you guys clarifying my intent. I was just trying to help you bub. Your all over the place. I’m going to assist you even further with your research.

My suggestions

-lCG Chassis I like the V3
-Dravtech shocks
-SSD ar44 or Ar45 straight axle
-I run MIP driveshafts
-Locked Up Rc 1.9’s SLW
-CI foams
-I personally like RC4WD tires
-stainless or titanium links
-revo rod ends
-I’m a fan of the VFD pro.
-knk hardware

Old 03-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #11

Old 03-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #12

My only suggestion is if you’re here for a buy once cry once setup you’re in the wrong hobby I had that mentality when I bought my first rig then got bored bought more parts got bored again and again and now I’m on rig #9 in less than a year of starting this hobby you’re gonna cry a whole lot lol my suggestion is weigh your options and what you really want to do with your truck I have a few now each is a totally different setup

Old 03-24-2022, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Hey man, we’re just trying to help you. You got some attitude with me also about the searching for mods thread. You’re asking a lot of questions in a lot of different areas and a lot of people are trying to help you. He wasn’t being rude, his post and point is very valid. I’ve built a lot.. and I mean a lot of rigs. The first lcg chassis I built was based off me watching a lot of YouTube videos and seeing what I thought looked to perform the best. Sometimes you have to just dive in and get some personal experience.

At one point I owned 4 rigs all on scx10.3 axles because that’s what I thought I liked. Now I don’t own a single rig on those axles. I found that out by building and driving and building and driving and rebuilding. At one point I owned nothing but portal rigs. Then no portal rigs. Now I’ve got a mix. There’s an overwhelming amount of info and options out there and the lcg world is a literal black hole. Just jump in man you’re not going to make a wrong choice.

My bad if I seemed to give you backlash man. I don’t recall that convo. I am asking these questions to builders so I can try and spec out what I have in mind for the first build. I don’t have the kind of money to drop on a rig and then more to hop up. I’m asking opinions about setups in the past, present and future and getting advice from folks as to what they have preferred. In my OP I said as much but until joining this forum mostly what I got was bad advice. There are a few people who have pm’ed me and we are back and forth and it’s helping me get a better idea of what’s possible. They also understand that every answer leads to another question. I still have emails that I’m waiting on returns, from about 5 manufacturers. Until then my only option is to ask people who have experience with them.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Well boys. I’m sitting here drinking coffee reading this. I appreciate you guys clarifying my intent. I was just trying to help you bub. Your all over the place. I’m going to assist you even further with your research.

My suggestions

-lCG Chassis I like the V3
-Dravtech shocks
-SSD ar44 or Ar45 straight axle
-I run MIP driveshafts
-Locked Up Rc 1.9’s SLW
-CI foams
-I personally like RC4WD tires
-stainless or titanium links
-revo rod ends
-I’m a fan of the VFD pro.
-knk hardware

My bad man. I got heated after reading your post because it seemed like you were trying to troll me, and hard. I’ve been following this forum for a while and speaking with folks for months. I posted up in the newbie shack about finding people for help with questions and maybe mentoring on some stuff. A few have reached out and I appreciate their understanding that starting a built not bought rig can be overwhelming. So when I saw your suggestion of doing research before coming here and asking for opinions, it seemed that you were trying to give me a shovel full of crap, and I wasn’t going to take that.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Bananaclip is a long-time member here with loads of experience - and he was in no way impolite - you have blasted thread after thread after thread in the forums since you arrived and have received plenty of advice already.

You joined on 03-13-2022, so it's not as if it's obvious to anyone that you've done all this research you claim to have done since "before Christmas." How on earth would we be able to know that, when your first day as a member here was 11 days ago?

If you are new to a particular forum (or forums in general), it pays to see how other users use it. Many users here have been very patiently answering or trying to help with your very wide-ranging questions on seemingly everything under the sun related to crawling.

But you're thread-jacking in threads where people are themselves looking for assistance just because you are thinking of buying a product from the same manufacturer - if you had any forum etiquette whatsoever you'd either post something helpful regarding their issue or not post at all (example - the FlySky radio thread you posted in).

If you'd step back and re-read Bananaclip's post with less of a chip on your shoulder, you'd see that you are quite mistaken in seeing any level of rudeness directed towards you. I would have seen fit to post in a similar fashion but he took the words out of my mouth, so to speak...

NOW, if you want to claim there's snark in a post - you have one you can point to - mine...
I have apologized to bananaclip and given my perspective on what went down and why. Yes I’m new to posting here. I also started out just following threads and reading peoples build logs for months. I put up a help wanted ad in the newb section in the hopes that maybe a couple builders/ modders would reach out, and they have. A good bit of the questions I had were technical or about very specific things like driveline angles playing nice, or parts compatibility. I’ve also spoken to them about the delay between posting and getting replies. If I ask in a thread and it takes two days for a reply, but someone PM’s me in the meantime that’s that. As for the Flysky post, I don’t think asking the OP what the issue was and what the fix was because I was in line to have a similar setup is thread jacking. If you do, that’s on you. I have also set comments in build posts (recent) that just seemed to disappear, not to get a count up, but because I’m genuinely interested in what the OP was doing. I also was having some technical issues with the page and asking in active threads if someone could put me in contact with a moderator and it took 2-3 days for a direct answer to my question. My bad that ripples seem to upset people, but if I need a mods help I’m going to post where people are active not in the boons where no one goes.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Cubed View Post
My bad man. I got heated after reading your post because it seemed like you were trying to troll me, and hard. I’ve been following this forum for a while and speaking with folks for months. I posted up in the newbie shack about finding people for help with questions and maybe mentoring on some stuff. A few have reached out and I appreciate their understanding that starting a built not bought rig can be overwhelming. So when I saw your suggestion of doing research before coming here and asking for opinions, it seemed that you were trying to give me a shovel full of crap, and I wasn’t going to take that.

Honestly it’s all a matter of perspective. I’m past the point in life to waste my time arguing on the net. I’m also not one to snuff anyone especially someone like you that has little knowledge. The newbie shack is a good place for you to lurk honestly. Asking questions is great. Just ask them in the proper location. If you don’t have anything to contribute other than words, a build section isn’t the place to ask. The build section is a place to look and comment on builds. You’ve spent months researching and look at all you still don’t know. Good luck in your venture.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I saw in another post of yours you want low low low, if that’s the case stay away from portals. Look at the classicutcustoms hill killer. And throw it on some pro44’s. Dravtechs etc. seriously though, watch some YouTube videos. You can get an idea of if the terrain they run on is similar to yours and what not. I have to terrain to justify the rigs I’ve built.. scale to wild.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

really sounds like you just want to be spoon fed info on exactly what to build and that just doesnt happen the best thing you could do is go watch a few hundred hours of build videos on youtube like all the guys who build do. also with your budget of 650$ thats not going to happen unless you break out some fusion and stat printing out allot of your own parts or fabing them up in the garage or buy a used rig and throw all them parts on a chassis.

most companies dont reply to questions in emails because there selling a product not teaching you how to build. they answer questions with issues pertaining to there product not what other stuff works with theres

and what to go with is all preference
i have a custom jeep build atl pro chassis with capra axles and i designed all the parts in it then i have a chevy build on ss ar60 axles i designed the frame and everything a nswd with mostly trx4 parts all of them go and do what they need to had 2 trucks a year and a half ago i currently have 23?

20220320-115154
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:24 PM   #19

I appreciate the good luck gesture bananaclip, it was never my intent to argue or exchange heated words. Hopefully this doesn’t stain any future dealings we may have.
To everyone else-
I’m only being picky and getting peoples opinions on what they use or would have preferred so I don’t make a mistake from the jump. I’ve been down the rabbit hole a few times and been so beat down by it that I’ve had to take a break from the hobby for a year or two. That being said, after my mini/ micro builds and all of the mods and extras, when everything was said and done I wish that someone would have given me a hand to hold from the beginning. In that instance I would have had a whole lot more money and free time on my hands.

I don’t want anyone to hold my hand this time, but their perspective on my ideas. I ask about specific brands, parts, and ideas to verify what I’ve already had in mind or as a point to rethink my approach. Hopefully by days end I’ll have a VS410 slider and some axles on the way. All I’ll have left from there is an esc, hubs, and driveshafts. Once everything comes in that’s when the stress level will drop and I can go back to doing what I enjoy. Building rc rigs.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:27 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The VS4 chassis is legit. It can easily be built to ride low. I personally like the low ride height builds myself. This little Toyota is being built using the VP frame and VFD pro trans.

I’m a scale guy but I like my builds to work to. I prefer the box frame over the flat rails for rigidity and better scale appearance. Sounds to me like your making some moves in the right direction.

Best advice I can offer…….. Find a builder with a style you prefer. Normally the active guys on the site offer some nice builds. Read over their build threads. Find a build you really really like. Dive in.

I could use some advice. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice razorofpow Axial SCX-10 7 07-06-2014 08:18 PM
new to rc looking for advice PLEASE!!! newtorcguy Newbie General 0 11-26-2010 02:36 AM
I need some advice... NCrawler General Crawlers 5 08-16-2007 07:44 PM
WK Advice Doodoob Newbie General 12 08-02-2007 11:26 AM
Advice Nub-4-life Paint and Body 7 02-24-2007 07:41 AM