Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project Lance: Custom 1/10 Scale Trophy Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project Lance: Custom 1/10 Scale Trophy Truck

Ever since I saw Cyconxc's trophy truck builds 3 years ago, I've always wanted to build one myself, so now, after gaining experience from some other builds, I´ve decided to attempt one.

Full custom chassis, welded cage, body panels, all that good stuff.
4WD, Locking Diffs, 2 speed, and remote 2wd-4wd switching.

While normally based on the Slash 4x4, this build is going to in a proper 1/10 crawler scale rather than SCT scale, meaning narrower track width, shorter wheelbase, and probably a crawler body. With that being said, the driveline is mostly TRX4 based with an RC4WD AX2 transmission.

Yes, I found a way to IFS the trx4 axle.

I may or may not be infamous on this forum for starting build threads that I wouldn't finish in the near future, so I made myself wait until I reached a point of no return.

Starting off with the main piece most if not all custom trophy trucks: the STRC alumium Slash Bulkhead:

Cut, drilled, and countersunk a 4mm plate of alumium in the 6061 flavor:

Im still using Slash parts on the front end, just modified. Alumium A arms were shortened and new holes drilled. But due to them being quite a bit shorter than the stock A Arm, the amount of travel I got was dissapointing to say the least.

Caster blocks and A-Arms have been filed down to allow for more travel, allowing for a decent amount of front travel, which sits at 26 inches, scales perfectly to a 1:1.

Heres the behemoth of a front diff:

It's a TRX4 diff case cut up, and UV resined inside a Slash 4x4 Diff case. It's not perfect, it looks really ugly (for now) and is offset, but that can be fixed by extending the opposite side. There's ome slight slivers leaks due to the cuts I made, but I'll seal them with some RTV Silicone.

A look inside:

Some custom link mounts to mount them in a weird place because of diff geommetry issues. I may or may not make a custom 3d printed or CNCd mount for double wishbone and gull wing style arms. But for now, links it is.

Front end assembled with driveshaft prototype:

Unfortunatley the stock Traxxas driveshaft is too thick, and rubs the camber link at full bump. A found a skinnier steel version that should fix it, but I'm not exactly ready to spend 80 dollars on them.

Front Alumium steering assembly by NHX hobbies, stock plastic is too flexy for the weird servo setup I have. I may end up using a low profile one so the steering isnt so stressed.

Rear trailing arms by Vanquish and custom mounts with some 1/16 C channel. Upper links will probably be mounted by a larger L channel bolted under the c channel.

Motor and ESC, Hobbywing Xerun Xr8 Sensored with RC4WD AX2. When I saw the first and second gear rations on that transmission I nearly fainted. 1.78:1 and 5.05:1 on second gear. Should allow for some nice high speed action and possible light trailing and crawling.

Fully Assembled:

I've got some cage prototypes, but due to the lack of body options for this weirdly sized build (Slightly wider than crawlers, narrower than SCT, 317.5mm WB) But I've got a pretty good wood model in the works. Final product will be tig welded 5mm 3/16in steel rod.

Heres the inspiration for the 2wd/4wd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJmk2jcp_Q

Will be remotley controlled by servo and 3d printed mount, 10mm roller style bearing glued to the part that controls the linking/unlinking. It's not going to be a really strong connection, but I'll be doing most high-speed runs in 2wd anyways, 4wd is just for trailing and possibly crawling.

The rear axle is a TRX4 axle with SSD portal deletes and Hex extensions. Both front and rear will have unlocking diffs..

Full custom chassis, welded cage, body panels, all that good stuff.

4WD, Locking Diffs, 2 speed, and remote 2wd-4wd switching.
While normally based on the Slash 4x4, this build is going to in a proper 1/10 crawler scale rather than SCT scale, meaning narrower track width, shorter wheelbase, and probably a crawler body. With that being said, the driveline is mostly TRX4 based with an RC4WD AX2 transmission.

Yes, I found a way to IFS the trx4 axle.

I may or may not be infamous on this forum for starting build threads that I wouldn't finish in the near future, so I made myself wait until I reached a point of no return.

Starting off with the main piece most if not all custom trophy trucks: the STRC alumium Slash Bulkhead:

Cut, drilled, and countersunk a 4mm plate of alumium in the 6061 flavor:

Im still using Slash parts on the front end, just modified. Alumium A arms were shortened and new holes drilled. But due to them being quite a bit shorter than the stock A Arm, the amount of travel I got was dissapointing to say the least.

Caster blocks and A-Arms have been filed down to allow for more travel, allowing for a decent amount of front travel, which sits at 26 inches, scales perfectly to a 1:1.

Heres the behemoth of a front diff:

It's a TRX4 diff case cut up, and UV resined inside a Slash 4x4 Diff case. It's not perfect, it looks really ugly (for now) and is offset, but that can be fixed by extending the opposite side. There's ome slight slivers leaks due to the cuts I made, but I'll seal them with some RTV Silicone.

A look inside:

Some custom link mounts to mount them in a weird place because of diff geommetry issues. I may or may not make a custom 3d printed or CNCd mount for double wishbone and gull wing style arms. But for now, links it is.

Front end assembled with driveshaft prototype:

Unfortunatley the stock Traxxas driveshaft is too thick, and rubs the camber link at full bump. A found a skinnier steel version that should fix it, but I'm not exactly ready to spend 80 dollars on them.

Front Alumium steering assembly by NHX hobbies, stock plastic is too flexy for the weird servo setup I have. I may end up using a low profile one so the steering isnt so stressed.

Rear trailing arms by Vanquish and custom mounts with some 1/16 C channel. Upper links will probably be mounted by a larger L channel bolted under the c channel.

Motor and ESC, Hobbywing Xerun Xr8 Sensored with RC4WD AX2. When I saw the first and second gear rations on that transmission I nearly fainted. 1.78:1 and 5.05:1 on second gear. Should allow for some nice high speed action and possible light trailing and crawling.

Fully Assembled:

I've got some cage prototypes, but due to the lack of body options for this weirdly sized build (Slightly wider than crawlers, narrower than SCT, 317.5mm WB) But I've got a pretty good wood model in the works. Final product will be tig welded 5mm 3/16in steel rod.

Heres the inspiration for the 2wd/4wd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJmk2jcp_Q

Will be remotley controlled by servo and 3d printed mount, 10mm roller style bearing glued to the part that controls the linking/unlinking. It's not going to be a really strong connection, but I'll be doing most high-speed runs in 2wd anyways, 4wd is just for trailing and possibly crawling.

The rear axle is a TRX4 axle with SSD portal deletes and Hex extensions. Both front and rear will have unlocking diffs.

Rear shocks will be proline power stroke XTs with empty desert lizards, front will be some length of proline

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 01-23-2022 at 02:25 PM.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project Lance: Custom 1/10 Scale Trophy Truck

Definitely going to watch this build come together!

Very cool...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Got some work done on the steering geometry.
Took upwards of four hours and resulted in very sore thumbs.

Dose look great but it is what it is.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Why don’t you build a bracket and move the chassis side of the camber links to the front of the diff? Gives you some breathing room. Another thought is AE rod ends for a B4 buggy if I recall correctly, they have angled ones that may work. Or use some all thread and bend the J arm. If you are shooting for a go fast truck, shorty pack off the back so it will jump flat. Keep the pics coming!!
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Why don’t you build a bracket and move the chassis side of the camber links to the front of the diff? Gives you some breathing room. Another thought is AE rod ends for a B4 buggy if I recall correctly, they have angled ones that may work. Or use some all thread and bend the J arm. If you are shooting for a go fast truck, shorty pack off the back so it will jump flat. Keep the pics coming!!
My plan is to make this weird bracket looking thing so it frees up space for the driveshafts. I have a friend that can CNC one for me after I finish the cad models and 3d printed prototypes, but I'm not sure how strong it'll be

I'll probably end up buying skinnier traxxas steel shafts, which might let me fit the shocks inside an A arm design, but I think it'll end up being a weird J arm

If I move the camber links to the front of the diff, I'm not sure if I can mount the shocks inside the arms without them rubbing the driveshaft, and if I mount them on to the back they'll rub with the steering links

As for the battery, it'll probably be a shorty pack the goes inside the fake fuel cell like Cycon's build
Old 02-21-2022, 07:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Got some work on the cage model today.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:10 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Kind of over complicated trailing arm and upper link mounts

The black dots are where I plan to mount the upper links,

Would it cause weird handling? I can’t mount them any lower due to them rubbing in the motor
Old 12-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Any new news on this bad chicken?
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Project Lance: Custom 1/10 Scale Trophy Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Trophy tow truck maxime Axial SCX-10 37 05-22-2019 01:08 AM
brushless trophy truck project sniper 1.9 Scale Rigs 156 08-12-2007 04:11 PM
Trophy truck custom build Skippy 2.2 Scale Rigs 61 03-29-2007 07:39 PM