Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Knightkeeper Tacoma build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Knightkeeper Tacoma build

Foxbelly v2 kits made it. One for this one for the gatekeeper Hilux! Can start assembling this gk kit now, been needing that belly skid lol.

First body section going well, still haven't fully tuned out zits yet but very few now.

Finally, drum roll please!!!!!

Knight customs interior modified to fit this body and used the canyon cooler (insanely hollowed out/thin walled in this) to make a hidden place for the GK shock tower clearance. Actually likely gave myself way too much space, but saves weight via less plastic. There will be a steering wheel too just decided I'm done staring at my screen for tonight. +10" screen size makes this a bit easier now lol.

Stuck the headlights and grill into this render for effect.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2022, 08:30 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Tigris, man you make good progress. Keep it up!

I'm gonna PM you about that GK KR interior.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:29 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Tigris, man you make good progress. Keep it up!

I'm gonna PM you about that GK KR interior.
Wife wants me to go to the event, I haven't don't my own thing for more than a few hours in a Long time. And loosing a week due to storm damage she's letting me focus on this build so it's ready. Spent all evening doing cad work to make that interior able to load into tinker cad (had to learn some basic fusion 360 to reduce faces on the interior render) then make fit this body. Finally the mods to the back Seat area. All while trying to shave every gram of weight I can, so thin as possible (interior tub is really thin already thankfully).

Now to focus on rig assembly itself then hope to God I didn't miss something for body fitment on it lol.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Printer needs a little fine tuning, tallest print and overall biggest I've ever run on it but came out pretty good.

First of 8 for the body panels complete. The back sections are also the longest to print, about 1 day 14hrs actual print time.

Will be printing the entire right side first to make sure wheel base is lining up right (don't fully trust my CAD skills lol) in case I need to adjust something.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #25
Go Buckeyes!

Print looks great! You have more patience than I do! I find it hard to print anything that takes over 3-4 hours!

I would like to try to print a body someday though. I like how unique this body will be that you have designed. Looking forward to watching the progress!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I've got my printer set to where I hit start print and walk away. Just let it do its thing while I do whatever. Each of these is somewhere around 1 day 16 hours. Between family, building the rig itself and work, I welcome long prints because then my printer isn't sitting idle waiting to be turned off. Left side of that will be done printing tomorrow. Then I need to replace my fans, think hot end fan is weak and causing a little heat creep. Then print another section, if that doesn't fix it the fan shrowd and fan upgrades will be next after body is done.

Wheel/tire combo, first one finished. Only thing I hate about wheels like this, all the damn screws!!!

Old 08-04-2022, 06:33 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Fully upgraded IFS done. Bought this IFS kit with all artful dodgers/bowhouse except the upper plate. Starting to actually assemble on the frame rails FINALLY.

Ifs raise

Treal knuckles

All ball sockets changed to thru bolt (stock the ends wear and start popping off, know from experience) except the steering rack cause I forgot till typing this.

Ssd aluminum diff housing

Bowhouse everything except the rack. Rack doesn't worth with IFS raise without crazy spacing, partial to the steel now anyway, bowhouse rack wears out too fast.

Artful dodgers control are skids may or may not stay, undecided.

NSD rs800 main servo

NSD rs400 winch. Winch ain't cool scale rc4wd which has more than enough to yank my heavy ass knightrunner off the ground on 3s direct wire, but don't trust it to hold up to constant abuse when it counts, during a competition.

Artful dodgers foxbelly set up and hanging out in the frame rails.

Last edited by tigris99; 08-04-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:22 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post

Ifs raise

Looks good with all them upgrades.

Could you do me a favor and snap a pic when you can of the IFS with the raise kit from the front? Kinda want to do this to mine but don’t like the look of super aggressively angled A-arms.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

Could you do me a favor and snap a pic when you can of the IFS with the raise kit from the front? Kinda want to do this to mine but don’t like the look of super aggressively angled A-arms.
The lift is 3d printed parts just FYI

The angles are travel limited, no different than stock as the a arms attach to the diff area, the raise doesn't effect that any. But I will try to remember to grab a pic for your tonight.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:08 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

Ok here's that pic. The angles as I mentioned only go so far, the aggressive look is due to ride height set up of the shocks.

As for update....GRRRR

So 2 failed attempts to print the other half of the rear bed sides/back of cab. Right side printed ok (not perfect but acceptable). So a tore into the head and checked everything. Printer was getting close to the same point in the print so started looking closer. Realized my x axis belt tensioner had shifted upwards. Was a "wait to go moron" moment, didn't realize the t nuts weren't seating right. 3 days and half a roll of filament in the trash lol. Printing perfect finally, first time since water mess, thankfully 3rd time is the charm in this case lol

Decided to see if I could get the parts printer up and running. Trip to microcenter, several hours of cussing about trying to get CR touch to work (SKR E3 mini v3 main board), gave up on that, just installed latest firmware for regular set up. Couple test cubes to get bed centered and PRINTING LIKE A DREAM!!!! I did spend an insane amount of time squaring everything up as perfect as possible though. So that all paid off. Really didn't want or need a SECOND printer so may sell one when all this rush project is over and I get this new one set up with auto leveling etc.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Got tape holding it while plastistruct sets up but my cad skills ain't half bad lol. And printer is doing so much better. New 2nd ender 3 pro is printing the first mid cab part beautifully!

Wife found me a John Cena action figure at good will for a driver. Not my first choice but it's acceptable. Considering lack of options and cost of new, I'll take it lol. Just gotta hollow his ass out. His shoes will match the body too, if I can get him to fit with full legs.

Last edited by tigris99; 08-07-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

That's one thing I haven't gotten myself yet is a wrestler or any driver of some sort. Can't wait to see John Cena out there doing lines lol.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
That's one thing I haven't gotten myself yet is a wrestler or any driver of some sort. Can't wait to see John Cena out there doing lines lol.
You're slacking lol.

This is my knightrunner driver

Old 08-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Lmao I'll have to be sure to have a driver ready for when I get interior for my KR.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Would have made it to full ready roller tonight but ran into an issue (not counting FEMA is coming in, declared the area federal level disaster area now). Stock shocks aren't long enough for my liking. IFS has more range as I sorted out on my knightrunner. It, with stock height ifs, has 100mm desert lizards which actually are 110mm when running full sprung. IFS has the range of motion to use ever bit of travel those have

EDIT: THINGS FIT SO MUCH BETTER WHEN USING KR shock towers, NOT GATEKEEPER lol. Also left the end turned down the threads 2mm so I didn't loose that travel. Looks like it'll work perfect now with travel stopping just before driveshaft bind.

ALSO: enduro pen spring mod idea that DOES WORK.

Desert Lizard springs fit inside the enduro shocks perfectly!!!! So the lightest weight springs should be just enough to keep the body sucked down on climbs.

Last edited by tigris99; 08-09-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:15 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

WE HAVE A ROLLER!!!!

This isn't all the flex either, just the tallest item I had handy.

Also thanks to the foxbelly I can get the battery down low since there is no upper links in there.

I need to mod the skid plate in cad slightly, got changes to the front to do to suck it into the frame as well, and make a bracket to hold the battery. But the little 800mah 100c I found fits easily and my 1300mah 80c can fit just barely.

I need to figure out which way I want the transmission, not sure I want all my weight on the right side like this. Depends on which front wheel (betting the left as usual) lift under torque so I can balance weight accordingly.

Like B-Mow found, the whole drop bed thing. Completely forgot about the swaybar linkage, so gotta tweak the drop bed more and reprint, grrr

Old 08-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Nice progress man. And good to know on the Desert Lizard springs fitting in the Element shocks!
Old 08-09-2022, 09:25 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

John Cena is going to be HUGE AND HEAVY. So a little browsing in Cults I found these 2. Little tinkering left then they'll be ready to print.

Was going to have the girl driving but going to take some serious mods to make her fit right. Where as now I just gotta move her arms.

Last edited by tigris99; 08-09-2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:22 AM   #39
Go Buckeyes!

Nice progress so far! Looking good!

I like how everything sits so low and the battery placement on the skid in front of the trans looks like a great spot!

Yeah, gotta watch that sway bar! I would have left mine off but I believe the sway bar is really needed to make it perform the way it should!

Nice choice on the drivers. Keeping them lightweight will help out. That is the main reason why I've never used the NECA or wrestler driver figures. Unless you chop and carve, they weigh too much for my rigs.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:10 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

That's a great looking Element chassis...everything is nice and low - nice work!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Knightkeeper Tacoma build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Tacoma Build tigris99 Micro Scale Rigs 21 04-22-2022 06:29 AM
Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build) 802coma Axial SCX-10 190 08-08-2016 06:39 PM
Long time Tacoma build rockhugger Axial SCX-10 16 03-19-2014 11:59 AM
Honcho now Tacoma Build!!! BOWTIE Axial SCX-10 236 08-18-2011 11:49 AM