Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Knightkeeper Tacoma build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Knightkeeper Tacoma build

So thanks to b-mow and what not doing the KR Gk hybrid builds, it got my gears turning. My Hilux build got back burnered cause of doing C2 comps for fun so just been running that mess I made of a hilux body on my GK.

Well big event at offroad Park is next month, C1 doesn't allow lexan bodies. Ok I have a printed Tacoma hard body no biggy...

MISSOURI SUMMERS AND PLA DONT MIX!!! Lol. Learning PETG cause all my pla printed stuff on my knightrunner started to melt. Have some parts already printed.

Can't bring myself to strip my knightrunner and turn it into a hard body. Love that rig too much.

So against my wallets pleas, ordered another GK kit, already have an IFS kit with full aluminum upgrades sitting in the "garage" under the pla printed body.

So here's the plan, dont hammer me for doing a c1 IFS rig lol:

GK with IFS front end, IFS will have KC IFS raise.

HW 2300kv Fusion if I can find one otherwise 1800.

PETG printed 1/10 Tacoma body but bed will be bobbed, will have proper "drop bed", no tail gate with Aluminum Rod Roll bar (save weight but still metal for scale points)

Will make brake line bumpers and sliders.

Going to HOPEFULLY be able to CAD modify the KC knightrunner interior to fit the printed body with gk rear shock towers.

Body will get stock fender flares cut off, and KC high clearance flares in their place so full C1 4.19 tires clear and flared enough to meet coverage requirements.

Rig has to meet SORRCA C1 and have 40 scale points to enter. My damn knightrunner would have been fine except the lexan body.

I have until August 26th to have this built and ready..... WISH ME LUCK. Pics coming later this week once I have more than the IFS ready and GK should be here Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Knightkeeper Tacoma build

Following. Sounds like it'll be a fun one to drive C1 and keeping it real with the IFS. GK KR builds FTW!
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:30 AM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

This sounds like a great plan! Looking forward to watching the progress.

Nothing wrong with using the IFS. I can't wait to see how it works out in the C1.

And you're welcome!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ok been printing PETG parts like crazy, everything PLA on the knightrunner more or less melted if it was exposed to direct hot sun. So allowed me to get the new type of filament mostly sorted.

Now that I'm pretty close to perfect settings, first batch of parts for this build done. Taco body is the PLA one just for looks atm till I print the new one in PETG.

Cleaning and organizing work desk, it's a disaster, to start assembling GK kit which came today!

Artful dodgers fox bellies shipped yesturday so have those in a couple weeks. Yeap this build is getting a fox belly to help with COG.

Side note, gotta pull a wheel apart on the KR, want to see if the SSD brass rings will fit my RC4WD Black Rhino wheels. Trying to keep the wallet from completely keeling over, so if I can use them, great!!! Downside of IFS, not a lot of options to add brass down low, ssd weights on the my knightrunner made a nice difference.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:23 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

The printed double cab is looking good!

Excited to see the Fox Belly chassis! It's been on my radar!
Old 07-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
The printed double cab is looking good!

Excited to see the Fox Belly chassis! It's been on my radar!
Another member here printed that one for me. Some day will be a true scaled version of my 1:1, someday.

For the fox belly, I only got the transmission mount set up, Fox Belly V2. No full chassis because it can't be used in class 1.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Another member here printed that one for me. Some day will be a true scaled version of my 1:1, someday.

For the fox belly, I only got the transmission mount set up, Fox Belly V2. No full chassis because it can't be used in class 1.

Oh, ok, tranny mount. I'd like to try one of them someday.

That's right, class 1 has to have bolt on shock towers.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ya I don't get the bolt (or weld/braze/solder) on vs not because you can buy plates that give the same range and angles.

Side note, wallet is almost on life support cause oldest boy turns 16 next month plus back to school for both. So for now, I have a trailmaster 21t and practically new HW1080 in the parts drawer that will power this rig for now.

Last edited by tigris99; 07-21-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

So minimal updates. Was working in cad to Bob the bed and other things to the 3d renders so they could be printed when Tuesday disaster struck. I had gotten my entire work room cleaned and organized so build itself could go quick and smooth, no hunting for crap and misplaced tools.

Im in St louis for any that have seen the news.

Our house was pretty minor by comparison. Failure in the window of my youngest son's room, which my work room is directly below.... got woke up at 4am to "Momma, Daddy. My room is flooded!!!!" Now our house is on a basement way above ground level, so not a flood, his outer window was leaking up high and trapping water inside which then was draining into the house as the rain plus over flowing gutters was being blown right into that window.

My wife jumped into his room I grabbed towels and such, found water coming in. Ran downstairs and was basically raining into my work room all over EVERYTHING.

3d printer, toast, computer gone. Rigs thank god are water proof among countless other things just soaked, all bench and desk space covered in water, new gecko tank I had just set up a few hours ago was half full of water. Thankfully structures were just high enough that gecko was able to stay above water till I could rescue her (thought she was gone until I came back and looked closer, found here with just her head above water). She seems ok so far.

Waiting on insurance to do their thing so I know I'm getting reimbursed before I start replacing stuff because my stuff down there isn't priority, my son's bed which was right under the window and other things have priority if I have to eat it.

Keep STL in your thought cause 1000s upon 1000s lost everything, a few known so far lost their lives because 0 warning when they got caught on the streets to a wall of water coming.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Just to put into perspective my 1:1 tacoma which is offroad built from the factory with lift and such, when I found a way to get through, was only cause fire dept just arrived (after I had driven all over trying to find a road to get south) to close it, I was pushing water with my bumper to make it accross. Thankfully no one else had tried and everyone that was stopped realized they weren't making it when I had water up past the bottom of my doors. 2ft or more deep and rising. But moving slow so I knew I was safe in my truck to push through.

The road I usually take the creeks below are 15-20ft or more below. Water was 3ft on up deep over the road moving with enough force to destroy things. Rescue boats were being towed in past me as I was trying to figure out a way around.

This is dead middle of an urban area that's not anywhere close to being somewhere people would even think about flooding, too high of elevation.

Last edited by tigris99; 07-28-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:58 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Sorry to hear that man, definitely a bummer the hobby stuff got soaked, but lucky the family is safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ouch, that's a crappy update to read about but good the family and such is safe.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:37 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

Man so sorry to hear this. Glad to hear the fam is all ok.

I've been hearing on the new about the flooding in Kentucky, but I don't think I've heard anything about St. Louis being flooded.

Hope the waters recede quickly and you don't have too much damage.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys

Thankfully for us no serious flooding at our house, once we got the flow stopped into the house (got the storm window opened up and draining) it was just a matter of clean up.

Insurance is being a pain in the rear, taking forever to get to us. So took a small loan out to pay for proper crew to come in and finish clean up/drying the floors and wall out. Replaced my PC and microcenter has the half off on ender 3 pro again so $100 to replace the printer itself plus the $60 for the main board. So should be back up and running with everything before the end of the weekend. Serious downgrade in PC specs, but more modern and half the price lol. I don't game or do video editing/rendering anymore so don't need what other tower was built to do.

Hopefully I can still make my deadline lol. We shall see.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:02 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Alright, got the C1 mods done to the 3d files for the taco body. This is all the seperate pieces assembled on the work space to get a feel for things and because next up I gotta shrink the KR interior files to fit this cab and any mods to the beack seat files to clear the GK shock towers

Bed bobbed (drop bed is already printed, got that done before my room got rained on).

Cut all the stock fenders, tail gate, front and rear "bumpers" off.

Found files for the fender flares so for durability I just made them part of the body.

Bumpers will be metal most likely just for added scale points though my printed bumper for the knightrunner is pretty sweet and narrowed it fit perfect.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:24 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Wheels arrived, printer going and trip to LHS for a motor. Wife said go ahead and build the rig right at least, just save money where I can, hence injora wheels for example lol. First body panel printing !!!!!

Insurance called and said they'll be paying me for everything without even getting here to inspect yet, just have to come Wednesday to get the estimate together and cut us a check for the damage. So that's a load off! But working around Servopro equipment is a biatch. Pic is only one half of my work room lol. 3 dehumidifiers and like 12 fans going between sons room and basement.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Lookin great! Did you do the mods in Tinkercad?
Devwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:37 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

And sorry, glad the damage wasn't too bad and your insurance coverage is on point. Don't know how the hell you got that printer together so quick, pretty sure mine took a bit longer!
Devwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:43 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devwon View Post
Lookin great! Did you do the mods in Tinkercad?
Yeap all mods in tinker cad.

As for printer, gutted electronics i needed out of the new one and put in this one. Didn't take long. Flashed the main board, ran a test cube this morning after getting cura running on new computer and settings transfered. So didn't have to assemble the new one right now. I'll get replacement parts (and skr3 mini board) for the new one later and fire it up. Probably have one printer specifically for petg and one for pla

Last edited by tigris99; 07-31-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:33 AM   #20
Go Buckeyes!

Glad to hear all is not lost and your on the road to dryer days! Nice to hear the insurance company is on it now!

That is a great looking 3D Tacoma body. The bob and mods done to it look great!

That sounds like a sweet deal for half off of the Ender 3 PRO. I've got the same printer and it has been outstanding!

Knightkeeper Tacoma build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Tacoma Build tigris99 Micro Scale Rigs 21 04-22-2022 06:29 AM
Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build) 802coma Axial SCX-10 190 08-08-2016 06:39 PM
Long time Tacoma build rockhugger Axial SCX-10 16 03-19-2014 11:59 AM
Honcho now Tacoma Build!!! BOWTIE Axial SCX-10 236 08-18-2011 11:49 AM