Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: #12 LC70 Redux, Rock Pirates Interceptor build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2022, 02:30 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default #12 LC70 Redux, Rock Pirates Interceptor build!

So #8 of the Toyota lexan fleet was the LC70 Trail King, which I wasn't fully satisfied with since I had a hell of a time trying to perfect the paint. I didn't even do a true test run with it. The plan is to mask the necessary things on the outside of the body and also paint it. It will be a different color as well, and will be representing Rock Pirates stickers. To go with the rails, I chose the Element builder's kit. I was gonna do another Gatekeeper since the value is there but I don't own the builder's kit yet.

The body has already gotten radiused flares since this rig will be running 4.75's (wheels and tires are sample). The front arches are more square than the rears, but I cut the fronts an identical shape to the rears. I've also cut the bed floor to accommodate the shock towers, and the bed will be rested on the chassis rails as I'll work off that as a baseline on how the body will sit on the chassis. I may cut the lower sides of the body up a bit higher and bend the Rock Pirates sliders upward for more clearance (GSpeed G Shot-esque).

I might cut the front bumper off and put a TGH bumper, and I might bob the bed.

The panhard will get replaced with a bent version (105mm) to clear the pumpkin, as the shock positioning isn't high enough on the towers for my liking. If I can, I hope to use the very furthest holes in the towers to lower the chassis.

I didn't plan on buying rock sliders, but since I needed to figure out the upper link mounts, it was only right to buy theirs as well so I could use the metal to bolt up some L brackets and get that stiffness. And the reasoning for this is because I installed the Artful Dodgers Fox Belly. Turned out well although I've to tinker with the battery mount brace as it cannot be mounted on the bottom set (binding). I may make 2 new holes into the brace and be able to still use a stock battery tray.

The 1300kv Brood Riot S motor might not stay in this rig, but the size and weight of it only makes the driver side heavier just a tad. Otherwise I'm waiting for a Snubnose if I can't dial in the weight properly. I've got a HH servo on the way, and ESC will probably be Micro X2.

Idk if I'm forgetting anything, but that's where I'm at. Will update accordingly.

Last edited by Goro Majima; 08-17-2022 at 02:33 AM.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2022, 06:28 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: #12 LC70 Redux, Rock Pirates Interceptor build!

I like what I'm seeing here! Following to see more!

Can't wait to see more of this and the chassis. I like the look of the Interceptor chassis.

I think bobbing the bed would look better. Looks like it might be an easy bob since the body lines in the bed seem to be all straight.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Got a few bits going.

HH servo installed. Might have to change the servo horn once I get some links in via Hardcore RC. I want to be able to slam the axle as closest to the chassis as much as possible once I move the shocks up higher and I think a shaped panhard is a start.

Here's 2 pics with the arches in their final trimmed stage. Again, this wheel and tire combo aren't what will be used. I like to think I was lucky in being able to score a set of wheels for this build recently and I'll share once I receive them. Really stoked about this set.

Officially cut the end of the bed off to bob it! I wanted to get a precise measurement on how much to cut off so I took the width of the inner side of the bed and applied that to the length and made my mark. The mark looked like a good spot and left enough meat I think to secure the part back on. I'm probably gonna secure the pieces with some lexan pieces behind them, glued, then fill the exterior lines. Would love to make the join invisible (will paint this a different color on the outside).

What's also shown is I trimmed the sides up higher on the body (shortened the height of the body from the bottom). There's a side step on the bed portion that you can hardly see that sits in front of the rear tires, and technically I was supposed to cut the shape of it out on when I initially cut this body out. But how I calculated the line to cut is where the lower part of the bed is truly, roughly 10mm's worth (what the side step connects to). Since I did that, it allowed the rock sliders to be bent upward and I think it looks better and more aggressive.

I like the look of tailgate nets on old mini trucks, so that's what I'm gonna do to this and just need to cut out the tailgate. I'll make the tailgate look whole also just to have as a scale part laying around. But I'd love to secure the net with some elastic bands but I know it'll just pull the bed inward lol. But I need to figure that part out and feel free to share your methods. Enjoy the horrible example.

Forgot to mention that I'll do a front bumper delete and install the steel TGH bumper bar. You can see at this angle that it will line up just under the headlights like it should. I wish I knew I was gonna delete it so I could've kept the bumper whole and have another scale part laying around.

Last edited by Goro Majima; 08-22-2022 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:32 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Lookin' good! Nice idea on the tailgate netting!

I agree on the re-shaping panhard link. I put a slight bend in my panhard link on my GK-Ecto build so that the link would clear the pumpkin at full compression. Worked out well and only took a slight bend.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Wasn't gonna reveal the wheel and tire combo until the build was finished but here it is. Spec RC SW19-167's wrapped in the new Proline Toyo Open Country's, 4.5" tall. Since these 70 series Land Cruisers are foreign to the US, I figure these wheels give it a JDM look. Also I've some scale acorn wheel bolts coming to complete the look via Locked UP RC.

Here's the method I took on securing and reattaching the ends of the bed. Those yellow tube things at the tops of each side? Yeah, those are Capri Sun straws.

Added a layer of lexan for reinforcement.

Looks pretty cool I think. It's just missing a scale fabric piece with the brand on it to make the net look legit.

And this is the second to last step of the bobbed bed/net progress. Looks ugly where it connects and hopefully the final step cleans it up a ton (minimal filler then primer where I added clear lexan).

Hollowed out these holes in the rear bumper mount to accept chopped body posts and glued them into place.

I couldn't figure out a solid battery tray idea since the mount needs to be at an angle for driveshaft clearance, so I've the recently released "Plank" small battery tray coming from Rock Pirates RC along with their aluminum servo mount.

New panhard link installed.

Amazon servo horn worked well for the right type of clearance.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The wheel and tire combo are sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I agree, wheel and tire choice is perfect

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
The wheel and tire combo are sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I agree, wheel and tire choice is perfect

Thanks gents. Twade, you mentioned these tires were available in another thread so thanks to you.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:41 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Bed bob and net looks great! Nice repurpose of the Capri Sun straws! I'll have to keep that trick in mind for the future!

Wheel and tire combo looks awesome!
Old 09-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Glad y'all love the wheel & tire combo!

Small update so far. A more major update will be the color change.

Got the official motor to be used, a HH Snubnose V3 1800kv.

Rock Pirates servo tray & Plank battery tray installed. The Plank comes unbent, and the angle I have it at avoids the driveshaft and upper link on full compression. My 1300mah Spektrum battery fits very snuggly on it.

Finally fitted the TGH front bumper on. Extended it forward to line up with the body using some M3 flatware brackets that I've used in other builds.

I wished I could've avoided cutting into the corner lights but it had to be done. I trimmed to the same angle as those amber signals are shaped so the cut looks somewhat disguised.

I think the body is pretty close to being prepped for paint. Otherwise, I still have the HH Crawlmaster V2 Mini ESC to solder and wire up, making all 3 main components all Holmes Hobbies. But I also am waiting on the hard body version's front light lenses. I think if I fit them on here it will clean up the front end a bit.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

It moves! Without tuning the ESC but I setup the end points etc. One major drawback, like an idiot I mounted the transmission backwards!! I was used to working on the Gatekeeper that I thought I had it correct just by how the driveshafts were laid. But just driving this thing without hearing that out runner screech is just pure bliss...

Rotating the transmission won't be too much but now I have to relocate the ESC. I had such a nice little down low spot for it too.

Other than that, I still need to mask the body up and paint it. I wanted to blend the chopped bed but I think I'll leave that alone. And the front hardbody lenses don't fit very well over the existing lexan so it'll remain as is as well. When I do the masking, I will mask over the decals/chrome/grill/windows so that'll all take a while.

This does sit quite high too, and I can't mount the shocks up higher without the tires rubbing so I've gotten some green and white springs on the way to toy around with. This really looks better when it's dropped (as does anything). What's also to add is some brass front and rear via SSD. Those should offset the weight to bottom by a margin.

Shooting for another update to give by next weekend.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

Nice to see she has power! I haven't yet had the chance to NOT hear the alien music from one of these outrunners! I bet it sounds great now!

Love how the Element trans looks with the Foxbelly! I almost pulled the trigger on one of them, but the shipping cost made my heart skip a beat! It would be nice if they had stock of their parts here in the States to help with shipping.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

BMOW, Artful Dodgers seems to be getting well known enough. Maybe there will be a US source soon.

So I was hoping that my next update would be a painted body but it's not. And I plan to take this rig out to a meet this Saturday! As well as a few other rigs. I've decided on Tamiya's TS-46 Light Sand for the new color. Black Rock Pirates stickers should look awesome.

First off, here's my failed attempt of remaking window masks. I have kept all of my window mask sheets but not all of the masks themselves. I had the right idea of using a fine point permanent marker to trace the window mask sheets, then flip it onto the sticker paper using tape to keep it still, then trace over the backside to have the ink transfer over. All was good until my dumb self didn't realize I should be using a vinyl type sticker sheet instead of the paper. So I'll have to grab some...

Goal is to get the masking done Tuesday. Wednesday paint prep the body. Thursday, paint the body during my lunch break?? Friday finishing touches... Or maybe finishing touches when I get home on Thursday and Friday for meet prep. Ughhh man...

Here's final running setup anyway.
- Trans turned around correctly, and drilled a new set of holes in the skid in order to clear the rear driveshaft of the right upper link mount. So the trans is also forward about 3/8".
- ESC is now double sided taped to the right slider.
- Element green springs all around. Looks better with the droop IMO.
- SSD brass all corners + front diff cover.

Really stoked to get this one out there. BTW I'm also gonna detail the headache rack so it at least looks decent. Just don't know what color I should paint it. Black will match the sliders and rails, but the holes in the rack that should show the back window and front of the bed were going to be black too so idk, we'll see what I come up with.

Random rig weight.
- Fully loaded and 1300mah battery, no brass = 5.52lbs
- Add SSD knuckles + rear weights + diff cover = 6.08lbs
Old 12-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
BMOW, Artful Dodgers seems to be getting well known enough. Maybe there will be a US source soon.
That's what I was thinking. They're kicking out some cool products!

Interceptor LC70 looking good! Looking forward to seeing the new paint job!
Old 12-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #15
Slow is the new Fast

Good looking build, sits nice and low with the droop-e-doop setup. Looks like it wants to be pointed steeply in the upwards direction. The bed net is a nice touch too, it gives the exterior some character.

I did not realize the LC70 was a polycarbonate body. Somehow always assumed it was a hard one. Who makes it?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
That's what I was thinking. They're kicking out some cool products!

Interceptor LC70 looking good! Looking forward to seeing the new paint job!

Yeah their Groundfox kit looks cool too so it's on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Good looking build, sits nice and low with the droop-e-doop setup. Looks like it wants to be pointed steeply in the upwards direction. The bed net is a nice touch too, it gives the exterior some character.

I did not realize the LC70 was a polycarbonate body. Somehow always assumed it was a hard one. Who makes it?
Team C makes this one. This mold isn't the best as the bed doesn't line up correctly with the cab and there's some flaws in the inner bed corners (I'd like to scale rust those areas actually). I think it was under $20US.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:40 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Lunch break paint job. Should be able to detail it out tonight or tomorrow. Looking promising to bring this one out to the meet!
Old 12-17-2022, 12:46 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Chrome headlights are literally wet still with this update. Headlight and corner light decals will be put back on in the morning before the drive to the meet. I didn't get the headache rack painted how I wanted, so the easiest thing to do is cover up the blank canvas. But I wanted to put the big Rock Pirates sticker there anyway so perhaps I'll just paint the hoop of the rack black. Other than that, and needing to paint underneath the bed black (still has some blue exposed through overspray), I can call this do-over of the 70 series Land Cruiser pickup a success. Can't wait to get it out on the rocks.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:00 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Mt Diablo was a blast and looking forward to the next one. This thing performed excellent and I haven't even tuned the ESC. It was getting held back by the lesser aggressive tire tread but it wasn't bad at all.

Next up, paint underside black and headache rack hoop black and it'll officially be done.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:18 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Minor but pleasing updates.

Swapped RP stickers that are on the doors to the larger ones and since the name is blocked from the rock sliders, I moved them to the bed.
And swapped out the 3 spoke Advan style wheels and Toyos for the Incision Method MR307 wrapped in what the Rock Pirates mateys themselves favor; the Interco TSL SX Super Swampers and chose G8 compound.. Went with 4.19 to shorten the tire height from the 4.65 Toyos, which allowed me to move the shocks a hole higher and still have no binding.
I think this wheel & tire combo is not only more suiting to the overall style of build for mostly crawling and RP styling, but it also frees up a nice set for another build. The Open Country's aren't aggressive enough for this.

#12 LC70 Redux, Rock Pirates Interceptor build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My LC70 Build Craggles123 Axial SCX10 II 24 10-23-2019 03:38 PM
My LC70 build Mello_Yello 1.5 Scale Rigs 11 01-09-2019 06:11 AM
LC70 1.9 build nurgs Axial SCX-10 19 01-21-2018 05:35 AM
Project rock racer redux... Nylintbucket Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 10-08-2009 12:26 PM