Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Pab's V3 GSPEED Refresh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Pab's V3 GSPEED Refresh

So I've had this for a while now. Really enjoy it on some lines, but feel its time for a re do to keep me happy

I'm happy with the electronics so can't see too much changing there

2200kv Holmes Hobbies Revolver V3
Crawlmaster Mini V2
Castle BEC
Power Hobby 760MG Servo

Pabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2023, 01:38 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Pab's V3 GSPEED Refresh

So it needs a bit of rearranging and tiding.

It runs the amazon dig gearbox converted to 32dp with the biggest Kimbrough Spur I could fit with a 9T Pinion and a micro servo in an adaptor plate. Clearance is close with the front shaft which leads me on to my main issue...
20230302_184226
The front shaft is stuck on and I've broken countless drill bits trying to get it off, one day it will be removed!

The front bumper was modded by me to be barely class 2 `22 legal and incorporate a fairlead for a kenetic style setup I made up as DSM wont ship to me

by

AR44 axles with some brass added are on at the moment. It Runs a prototype battery tray I designed that also has guides for the kenetic setup and a rock light mount.

Now its printed and installed I can see there is room to go lower and still clear the links so it will get a redesign at some stage, possibly incorporating a dig servo mount and anything else I can get moved to the front along with it.

Speaking of lights, I also have some emergency lights I velcro to the inside of the roof for the midnight emergencies

First of the new mods was to try some tread trimming for my first time on my pretty worn krawlers before they get binned for somthing else, excuse the dog hair

Anti Foams are on the inside

I've not driven with this yet, but I've stuck a link riser on to test with

Next up will be to cut and drop the bed and rework the front axle with some Beeftubes, stay tuned!
Old 03-18-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

So I got some parts together and built me a new axle

Only things that came from the old axle are the diff cover, knuckles and the overdrive gears. The knuckles (10.2) requred some reworking and the XR10 axles are extra wide so I had to also mod the SSD wraith C hubs to make everything happy and work together.

Now I need to work out if I should get some kind of panhard mount or go 4 link, which would open up SOA options.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Got things back together, with a few temp links, nearly ready for a test run. Ended up moving all the electronics from the sliders to the front and mounting the dig servo directly to the chassis rail. Now balanced with a 50/50 side weight front and rear, and looks a little more tidy. Also stuck a set of tuning rounds in the wheels to test with.

Once it been run in this config i'll decide what's next, but I have options to add even more weight to the front axle and remove some elsewhere.
Old 08-11-2023, 05:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Latest update, Overdrive upped from 20 to 30% and Ruptures added

Going for another change up on this rig though. Only going to run it once or twice like this then the front axle and wheels will come off to be donated to another comp style rig I have planned. This will then go back to the stock width ar44 front axle, some smaller rubber and this

No plans on colours or themes yet, its a wide open canvas right now
Old 08-11-2023, 05:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I love seeing these custom builds and all the creative ways people get random parts to work together. I just finished my V3 build not too long ago, good times! Pics in the 1.9 gallery. black and yellow "Murder Hornet".

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 08-11-2023 at 06:00 PM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 02:32 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
I love seeing these custom builds and all the creative ways people get random parts to work together. I just finished my V3 build not too long ago, good times! Pics in the 1.9 gallery. black and yellow "Murder Hornet".

Rigs Looking good
Old 10-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Took a risk and layed down some PS14 first as a rusty base. Light coats got it done.
20230920_221644

The narrow front axle got refitted along with some closer to correctly sized wheels and tires I had to hand. Then a coat of Tamiya primer and a quick uncut mock and inch too high on the chassis to see where we are at
20230930_232643

Still not fully decided on colour. I have a few finalists and one I was thinking of was a slighlty tatty been in a wreck and repaired kind of look, possibly an off white truck, with a primer grey wing and a black damaged hood straight out of the junkyard. Then I see this today in my FB feed and wondered if I should copy its paintjob with a nice finish?
FB_IMG_1696271441376

I mean its going to get scratched and damaged as I run it, the rust is underneath ready to come out. Do I start with a nice paintjob and let nature take its course, or do I start from a rough place? Comments welcome guys, Thanks for looking
Old 10-03-2023, 06:19 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Looking forward to seeing how paint job on the Mojave body turns out. Nice idea on the PS14 "rusty paint" layer. I may have to borrow this idea for my current build I'm working on!

Great looking tan 1:1 Toyota! Yours would look good in that color and that roll bar in the bed sets off the look!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:59 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I just saw that 2j yota also, what a sick truck.

My vote is for a fresh clean look and let the weathering happen naturally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:06 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looking forward to seeing how paint job on the Mojave body turns out. Nice idea on the PS14 "rusty paint" layer. I may have to borrow this idea for my current build I'm working on!

Great looking tan 1:1 Toyota! Yours would look good in that color and that roll bar in the bed sets off the look!

I'm all for stuff that makes better rigs for everyone, you see something you like, use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I just saw that 2j yota also, what a sick truck.

My vote is for a fresh clean look and let the weathering happen naturally

OK Then, clean it is!

Well, I tried my best, but its not perfect. Found a close matching colour in my paint stash, although this particular can is intended for graffiti use, so layed down quite peely. Then I attempted to paint the stripes on but got the scale all messed up so wasnt happy, then one side decided not to play ball.

I scrapped that idea painted it all one colour for now, got some clear on it too which has improved the finish, but could do with some more wet sanding and a polish up at some stage. May even come back and attempt the stripes later too.

Couple of runs to sort. Like a doughnut I decided to fit the CC Hand Toyota tailgate logo and clear over the top. Bad move, as it has bled and shadowed a bit

Last edited by Pabs; 10-17-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:14 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

After lots of rod adjustments and postioning I got it sitting ok, and began adding a few details

Wanted something quick and easy to cover the rear shocks

I'll do something similar for the other side too.

Next up will be to get the offset adjusted to tuck a bit more tire and some stiffer springs. I think I'll also grab the Gspeed hardbody sliders too. Then see what we can do for the interior
Old 11-26-2023, 07:02 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks really good. The duffle bag looks perfect!

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The duffle bag idea is sweet gonna have to barrow that one, where did the bags come from?

Sent from my SM-S134DL using Tapatalk
mikro383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:11 AM   #15
Go Buckeyes!

The stance looks great! Nice way to out-smart the rear shock hoop problem!

The cool duffle bag trick is now added to my things to remember!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:43 PM   #16

Yup duffel bag is great. Now maybe an ice chest
Axle Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:29 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks Guys. The bag is straight off ebay, its meant to be a Thule one, but I never added the stickers

Pab's V3 GSPEED Refresh - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender refresh tgh117 Vaterra Ascender 21 09-12-2019 10:12 AM
refresh 1.9 Jslick Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 10-12-2012 09:40 PM
Classified section refresh? oitz Newbie General 1 07-24-2010 02:35 PM
Monitor refresh rate help twisted Chit Chat 0 07-19-2010 09:36 PM