Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Garage...Misc. Projects and Random Rig Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2023, 08:42 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: B-MOW's Garage...Misc. Projects and Random Rig Builds

I'm running the X in one of my rigs and I love it. Long time AE fan boy, nice quiet trans ,plastic gears are nice and wide, steel only where you need it. Nice looking parts here,but did you really gain anything for all the messing around? Motor position and outputs seem about the same height as stock.
I think flat skids have there place, but a capra skid and 3 gear trans sits lower than alot of these setups. Not trying to start a heated debate, I just don't see the point other than showcasing new parts.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2023, 08:58 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty husky View Post
I'm running the X in one of my rigs and I love it. Long time AE fan boy, nice quiet trans ,plastic gears are nice and wide, steel only where you need it. Nice looking parts here,but did you really gain anything for all the messing around? Motor position and outputs seem about the same height as stock.
I think flat skids have there place, but a capra skid and 3 gear trans sits lower than alot of these setups. Not trying to start a heated debate, I just don't see the point other than showcasing new parts.

Running either of the lay down style mounts definitely lowers motor position.

Going from a stock skid, to a flat skid will raise motor and trans position. How much, depends on what skid you replaced.

IMO using an LDT and a flat skid, gives you the benefit of being able to lower ride height, while maintaining the lowest possible motor/trans height, and the highest skid clearance.

And in my case I put one in a Capra, so I was able to use the stealth x and the stock interior without cutting holes on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:27 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I've been wondering how a X fits in a Capra, seems like it would solve 2 shortcomings in one cheap transmission. The belt drive looks like it could be a great option for a 3 gear swap w/portals. Normal swap ends up really slow.
Do you ever make it to central oregon? There's a comp in Bend next weekend, solid group of guys over here. Mulisha crawlers on Facebook.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:28 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty husky View Post
The Stealth X is one of my favorites for smooth, quiet and extremely durable transmission. I have never had to install the metal upgrade gears as I really don't see the need.

As to the messing around, I just like to try out new things. I found the design of these LDT intriguing. Something different than my normal setups and decided to give them a try.

Agree with what @twade984 mentioned. I run the flat delrin skids in a few of my rigs and they benefit from the smooth underside. Also I like the fact that an interior can be used with these LDT trans without too much modification, if any.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:13 AM   #25
Go Buckeyes!

Here is a look at the side-by-side comparison of the IERC LDT and the Foxbelly V2. The Foxbelly V2 has upper holes added in the alum plate to attach wiring too. The IERC has an angled plate up and over the top of the trans to aide in attaching wiring too and has longer slots in the motor mount to accommodate larger pinion sizes. Also to add, the IERC comes with another alum plate that can be mounted to lift up the trans if needed. In the pics below, I have the plate installed.

Both great designs and hold the Stealth-X trans in a similar position.

In the last pic, I placed the the IERC LDT without the delrin skid onto the stock Element skid to give and idea of what it looks like compared to the skid.

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  165.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  177.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  176.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0486.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  179.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0487.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  181.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0488.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0489.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  177.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0504.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  144.5 KB
Old 04-18-2023, 09:31 AM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

New to the garage is an Element Gatekeepers Builders Kit. This kit is one of 3 that I purchased last year when Element had these on sale. The first 2 of these kits turned into my GK-Ecto and GK-Knightrunner builds.

The plan is to turn this GK Kit into a stock Ecto. It will stay mostly stock to use as a test rig or loner rig. I probably won't create a separate build thread for it since most all of us have seen many Ecto's out in the wild. Any and all work or mods that I do to it, if any, will be posted in this thread.

For now, I'm using this new Ecto to show off the Artfull Dodgers Foxbelly V2 LCG motor mount.

Straight forward install. All of the mounting holes line up with chassis rails holes and all stock hardware can be used. As seen, I did replace all of the stock Element black oxide screws with Team KNK stainless steel screws. One thing to note, I had to install the rear upper link screw backwards with a nut on the outside on the shock tower to clear the rear driveshaft. The Foxbelly pushes the output shafts farther out near the rails and the threads of the screws was touching the driveshaft.

Also as seen in the below pics, I have temporarily installed the Spectrum Firma 2-in-1 ESC/receiver and motor that were take offs from my Axial SCX10.3 Gladiator. I'll have more on that and my initial test results of the belt drive system soon.

**Try to overlook the tilt on the 4th pic. For some reason this pic would not upload in the correct position!

Name:  IMG_0505.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  181.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0506.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  166.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0507.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  187.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0509.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  182.4 KB
Old 04-18-2023, 12:00 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

That is a way cool transmission setup. I imagine it's whisper quiet with that belt drive.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 06:08 AM   #28
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
That is a way cool transmission setup. I imagine it's whisper quiet with that belt drive.
It is cool and different! The perfect setup for a semi-full interior build.

It is super quiet. Like a 1:1 electric car all that is heard is tire lug gripping noise.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:46 PM   #29
Go Buckeyes!

It's been awhile since any updates here. I actually forgot that I started this thread!

Anywho, I came across a great deal on FB Marketplace the other day. Someone had a brand new Vanquish VFD Twin with alum gear plates and machined gear set for a price that I couldn't pass up. Already had a Fusion SE 1800kv ordered from Amain Hobbies and both of these showed up at my door today.

Name:  IMG_0994(1).jpg
Views: 402
Size:  179.7 KB

So (like I need another rig like I need another hole in the head) I'm gonna use this VFD and start a new build here in this thread. No need to start another build thread for another rig that I probably won't complete anytime soon. I'll just log all of the info here as I find time to build it.

In my spare parts bin I have a new set of Axial straight axles, Phoenix 80mm shocks, misc. chassis rails including an unused pair of GSpeed V3 rails and other misc. items. I'm gonna see what all I can piece together and see what I come up with. I also have a few unopened GSpeed comp bodies that I may throw on it or maybe I'll use one of the Element Gatekeeper cages that I have laying around. All options are on the table as of now.

More to come of this build later.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 06-01-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:29 PM   #30
Go Buckeyes!

Put the VFD Twin together. I went ahead and used the alum bearing plates and machined gear set. Only parts missing to make this trans complete is the alum standoffs and an alum motor plate. I'm not a big fan of the plastic motor plate or standoffs, so I'll have to place an order at VP for them.

I had some scale M2 screws left over from another VFD, so I installed them on this one. Also replaced the rest of the M3 screws with Team KNK stainless steel screws.

Name:  IMG_1011.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1012(1).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  106.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1013(1).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  178.2 KB

Now to decide on a home for this. I messed around with my spare GSpeed chassis rails a bit, but didn't like how the stock VP skid mounted into the rails. I could possibly make them work, but didn't feel like taking the time to modify either piece to make work. I may look at other chassis options later.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:42 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Lookin good brian. I used a vader skid n drilled holes for the twin, n modified the motor plate mounts to fit in the gspeed chassis. Had to drill holes in the chassis for those mounts. The rear mount on the trans, i used a rodend, spacer, n a screw thru a hole in the chassis. Takes a lil work, but its worth it imo. Theres more detail on it in my thread the bama phoenix. Think its in the VP section lol
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:18 AM   #32
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Lookin good brian. I used a vader skid n drilled holes for the twin, n modified the motor plate mounts to fit in the gspeed chassis. Had to drill holes in the chassis for those mounts. The rear mount on the trans, i used a rodend, spacer, n a screw thru a hole in the chassis. Takes a lil work, but its worth it imo. Theres more detail on it in my thread the bama phoenix. Think its in the VP section lol
Thanks bama! I'll have to go back and take another look at your thread.

I do have a Vader skid and was looking at drilling it out for the VFD mounts. There rear mount was the one that wasn't lining up right. The hole for the mount would have to be right where the rear link mount is. The rod end spacer that you used sounds like that would solve that problem.

When I built my GSpeed Origin build: B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build I used the OG VFD and didn't have a problem mounting it to a delrin skid. The VFD Twin causes a little more rethinking to mount.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Thanks bama! I'll have to go back and take another look at your thread.

I do have a Vader skid and was looking at drilling it out for the VFD mounts. There rear mount was the one that wasn't lining up right. The hole for the mount would have to be right where the rear link mount is. The rod end spacer that you used sounds like that would solve that problem.

When I built my GSpeed Origin build: B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build I used the OG VFD and didn't have a problem mounting it to a delrin skid. The VFD Twin causes a little more rethinking to mount.
Yeah, it can be a head scratcher. I used some team knk spacers under the right side when i bolted it to the vader skid, 4 mm i think. The one with the rodend keeps the trans from torqueing to the right. I noticed on a test run, that it would rock over, more so when it was in a hard pull or a bind.

Glad i could help though
Old 06-20-2023, 04:06 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Those Artful Dodger Fox Belly kits are the best, I run one in a class 1 truck with a stealth X and one in a ar60 truggy with the Og scx10 trans, both are bullet proof its a great easy way to drop cg.
I Need to pick up another to get the new Deline skid, mine are both the early 3d printed options.

How do you like the belt drive in there, any skipping of teeth under load?
xwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:18 PM   #35
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwaz View Post
Those Artful Dodger Fox Belly kits are the best, I run one in a class 1 truck with a stealth X and one in a ar60 truggy with the Og scx10 trans, both are bullet proof its a great easy way to drop cg.
I Need to pick up another to get the new Deline skid, mine are both the early 3d printed options.

How do you like the belt drive in there, any skipping of teeth under load?
Yeah the Fox Belly's are nice! I just got another order from Artful Dodger's delivered today. I picked up the Fox Belly V2 in orange with the Delrin skid, a GroundFox comp roof rack and the Enduro steering plates for the front axle. Love their products and will probably eventually pick up one of their GroundFox chassis kit in the near future.

The belt drive is stealthy silent. The belt drive paired with the Stealth X is kinda like seeing a Tesla drive by and not hearing nothing but tire noise! I haven't had the chance to run it much, but the little that I did the belt never slipped once. I did have to loosen the belt a little because I noticed that the motor seemed to be getting hot. Once I add more slack in the belt, the motor seemed to be cooler. The belt has large enough teeth that it is not necessary to make the belt super tight. More testing needs to be done to see how the belt holds up long term, but as of now it seems to be working great!
Old 07-04-2023, 05:44 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Really interesting thread. Keep us updated.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:40 AM   #37
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2471:24 View Post
Really interesting thread. Keep us updated.
Thanks! I'm not having any luck in reminding myself to keep this thread updated!

So here is the latest update on the Vanquish VFD Twin trans that I was building. Got it installed in a spare VS4-10 chassis a few weeks ago.

As of yesterday, I decided to take this in a new direction. A new GSpeed chassis rails was ordered for it and is on there way here from California.

I'll have more updates on this build as soon as the rails arrive.

Name:  IMG_1903.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  182.1 KB
Old 07-31-2023, 09:14 AM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Update on the VFD Twin build that has been sidelined until just recently. New GSpeed V1-C1 rails have arrived along with a set of ShrinkRC hard body slider mounts.

This new build will get it's own thread in the coming days.

Name:  IMG_1918.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  181.6 KB
Old 09-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #39
Go Buckeyes!

It's been awhile! A couple unfinished builds back in the garage. One or both will eventually get their own build thread eventually.

This one is the GSpeed V1-C1 chassis equipped with a VP VFD Twin and Axial AR45 straight axles.

Name:  IMG_2301.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  169.9 KB

This one has been hanging around the shop for months now. It started life as a VP VS4-10 Builder's Bundle from last years Holiday deals. Someday I hope it will be a nice, scale Toyota Extra-Cab pickup truck. I really need to get back on this build!

Name:  IMG_2315.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  181.4 KB

Installed these "take-offs" wheels and tires I stole from another rig to put on the Axial JLU. These are Vanquish Method 310's wrapped in a set of well used, but still road legal Pitbull Rock Beast tires. This combo will live here until they find another home!

Name:  IMG_2316.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  178.3 KB
Old 09-14-2023, 02:51 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Love the look of the extra cab. Ive got a couple builds im workin on myself, or atleast tryin to get done lol

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Tags
b-mow71, bmow71, build, garage, rigs

B-MOW's Garage...Misc. Projects and Random Rig Builds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc random chit chat 904crawler Florida 60 04-17-2013 03:22 PM
Random machine work and projects CarterFab Chit Chat 7 12-29-2009 09:00 AM
Carnage Crew Garage A few builds bastard 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 21 11-01-2008 12:24 AM