Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: LR D90 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default LR D90 Build

Okay. Hers's my first real scaler. I started out wanting to build this with 2.2's, but then I found myself looking only at the 1.9 threads so...Now it's a 1.9er. I got my Slingers in yesterday (Oh Yea!) so that's what I'll be using for tires. I think they're nice and soft and no need to cut the foams. I stole the wheels from the LAV and put the Slingers on them. It is a Defender 90 on a K2-3L. It will have TLT axles, Black R2, Traxxas driveshafts, hitec Servo,??? H2OProof ESC, Integy 55T Hound Wound, and most of the other usual suspects. Right now it has Tamiya F150 Purple Aluminum shocks on it, but I have some black Traxxas shocks for it. It's mocked up with makeshift lower links, so I'll be replacing those. Here are some pics to start with. Please give some input. Any is appreciated.
Attached Images

BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I dont like the Defender bodies at all. To me they look like a Bronco with half the half cab missing. I do however like the mudslingers. Should turn out nice. Do the 350 shocks have external springs? Oh and by the way the desk reflects too much light, makes the pictures hard to see.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Well, I've always loved the Land Rovers. It's been a dream of mine to own one, but that day hasn't come yet. When these bodies came out I just had to have one. The Mudslingers are very impressive. I can't wait to put some actual time on them. The F350 shocks do not have external springs. Yea I know about the light, i'm gonna put some cardboard down for my next picks once I make some progress.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

It looks good so far. What color are you gonna paint it? My vote would be for a tan like your other build. I'm thinking some 1.9 beadlocks would look better than the hummer rims on this truck, but thats just my .02!
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah I think Tan might look nice. I would use some flat black rims still. I wonder what would be a good truck for me to paint sand color.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Very nice start, i would suggest a light blue with white roof and black wheels, that combo looks nice on this particular defender IMHO, i have a defender body nib and that's probably what i will end up painting it.
Do you ahve any good hobby stores around miami, or do you do mostly mail order?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

^ u sound a bit partial looking at your sig lol. The wheelbase on the cruisers are a hair under ten right?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I actually wasn't referring to the baby blue of the fj cruiser, the one for the land rover is a little darker, something like this.
And the wb of the cruiser is actually a hair over 10"
Attached Images

Last edited by cartronicshn; 06-29-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
I actually wasn't referring to the baby blue of the fj cruiser, the one for the land rover is a little darker, something like this.
I like the look of the one in the pics. The rims on it look a lot like the tamiya f150/s10 stadium truck 1.9s just painted black.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:32 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. I was actually planning on painting it Tamiya Smoke, maybe. You can see the spray can in the picture of the chassis. I have definitely considered blue and tan and black, but I'm still undecided. I am definitely wanting some of those 1.9 Ericson Beadlocks. I don't want to steel the hummer wheels from my other build, but for now they'll have to do.
Well, I got a little done this weekend. Got the suspension tuned for now. Put the black Tamiya shocks on and installed the Traxxas links. I got the body trimmed and mounted. I like the height and the way it sits, so I think I have it right were I want it. I'm gonna order my R2 this week and then I'll have enough to get it running. Next it'll get some scale stuff and a top. Maybe this week I'll get it painted, if I ever decide on a color. Here are some more pics.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2007, 05:42 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Cartronics, That's a great pic of a Defender. Definitely like the blue and the fact that it's a truck. I do have a couple of hobby shops here in Miami and one huge hobby shop in Ft. Lauderdale, but I do mostly mail order. I can't get a lot of the stuff I want for crawling around here b/c there's really not a market for it here. Nobody's really in to it. By the way, I dig the FJ. I'm thinking of gettinga 1:1. My wife wants the blue, she calls it Easter Egg Blue.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I'd ditch the faux cage if I were you.
ThatKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I don't really like the rollbar either but instead of hacking up the body I'm gonna get one of those tops made by MOCRAWLER. The top will cover up the rollbar as well as the whole rear and top. It's gonna be black with tinted windows which I think will look really cool.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #14
RCC Addict

OK. I finally got some color on it! It's painted and got some decals on it now. I went with Tamiya Racing Green. After a lot of researching colors of Rovers others have done and trying to figure out what colors haven't been done yet I found out there wasn't any (maybe a few I didn't like)...so you can never go wrong with Green IMO. I've got the 645MG Servo installed and I just got my Black R2 tranny in the other day. I also mounted the spare on the hood for the traditional look and mounted the front brushguard/bumper. Next I will get the tranny mounted and the drivetrain connected. After that I'll hook up all the electronics. Anyways, here are some pics of the progress.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Nice build, love those tires!
toomanyrcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks toomanyrcz! I know it's pretty plane right now, but it will get some scale stuff and a top and I want to make a gas can, jack, shovel carrier rack for the tailgate. I also need a snorkel for it, but I haven't had any luck finding the right one. I'll probably just make one.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Very nice , you are right you can never go wrong with green , i have to ask though, it seems your body is sitting a tad lower on the rear, is that with the body posts mounted?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Cartronics, Good eye...it's not very noticeable, but yes there is 1/8" (~2mm) height diff. The rear sits lower than the front b/c of the suspension. The body is mounted level. I took my measurements from desk to bottom of frame. I'm pretty sure it's do to the shocks. They are from a Tamiya TA02 F150 kit and I believe the rear shocks(which I have up front) were a little longer than the fronts. I used different sized adjusters front and back to try and level them out. I don't want to really swap the shocks out for new ones yet, b/c these seem to work really well for the setup. I'm sure eventually I will get diff. shocks. Also, I can stand for a rig to sag a little in the rear, but when it's the front sagging and the rear jacked up, then it's pretty silly looking IMO. Anyways, thanks for the comments!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

It's all good , maybe you can try and put a little more weight towards the front, move some stuff around, receiver, battery, etc. to level it out . I still love your rig , i have a d 90 body nib that has been sitting in my shelf for some months now , and your build is making me want to start mine.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Yea, all the electronics will make a difference, but they are not in yet. The battery will go up front and the rx and esc will sit right behind the tranny. As soon as I get all of it in I will post up some pics. I need to figure out some brackets for mounting the electros.
Cartronics, you need to unwrap the D90 and build it up...do the blue with white top like the pic you posted before. I think that would look killer. Hurry Up! Thanks again for the comments. We need more Land Rovers on the forum, b/c personally I'm a Land Rover Fanatic!