Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Looking into buiding a 1.9'er.... need some help tho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Looking into buiding a 1.9'er.... need some help tho

Hey,

I have been wanting to buy / build a scale truck for a long time now. I have decided that I would rather build my own then buy a complete one. That is way more fun anyways. I do have a few questions since this will be my first scale truck (I have built comp crawlers before). I searched this site all weekend and looked at all the build threads and every single photo(got my wisdom teeth removed...)

My first problem is that I have no idea what kind of truck i want. I like them all so much! I especially like the Dually's that I have seen. Those seem really complicated though. I want to build something that can also be a tow vehicle someday.

Also I am not sure what to buy/ use. I know i need TLT axles, a scale frame (need suggestions for that one) and a suspension setup. i would really like to do a leaf spring setup. I just have no idea how to use any of this. Also I am not sure what body to get. I want to get a really "scale one". I have seen the AMT bodies and i like those.

Anybody who can take a few secs and write me a response would be great

~ Daniel
Lumpmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

tlt axles would be your best bet. and for a scale frame, a bruiser is very nice. you can always make your own though.
bruisers are pricey but have the leafs all set up for you. alternatively you can get a frame from a vendor here. and the AMT bodies i have seen are not the right scale, theyre way too small.

duallys require a semi rear axle or a wide body, depending on what your gonna run for a body. and theyre not at all more complicated in the building of it just the body work is the kicker. and for a good dually youre gonna want a hard body. lexan is just junk to me. its just very hard to work with.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you can run a tlt axle on a dually, you just have to make the fenders to compensate, or make a wheel with an offset to your liking. A semi axle would work, but be way narrow for most builds your gona want to do, you really could run duall rear wheels without the fenders on some bodys with the semi axles... but your gona want the fenders for a dually anyways..

the clod bodys are real popular, and now a few of the lexan bodys done up right look down right awsome. i like the high lift body too, but they are still quite pricey. the yotas make good scalers, but heck, they a gold mine. best bet for a yota is to wait till the new high lift hilux comes out.

just my two cents on a couple topics...
truckerbuddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I was considering the Ford Superduty body... I would just need to be able to build a bed. That could be tough. I have looked alot more into it and decided that leaf springs are probaly a bad idea. They are to hard and pricey. I would rather buy a bruiser for that.
Lumpmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have build 1 scaler already Badd's "All Jacked Up" High Lift Build but it was on 2.2 wheels/ tires . I'm starting to build a 1.9 . gathering parts takes alot of time . as for a body I found this one at Wally World for 30 bucks it is sitting on my comp 2.2 in this pic . but right now I'm tossing things around as to how I want to do it . I'm sure I will 4 link the front with coils . Leafs in the rear with a twist . another homemade frame (ladder type with tubing ) for me the planing is the hardest part . I have gather well over 100 pics for the build including 1.1 ,1.9 & 2.2 rigs .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
I lost my vendor privileges

once you start a scale build you are hooked. just search around for scale chassis and go from there. I as well as a few others make them.or you can get ideas on how you would like to build one yourself.

vid of my chassis in action.
no fear at the cape fear

and a build thread of one of them. i have done a few now.
not 2.2 or 1.9 K-5

Last edited by clodstall; 10-02-2007 at 10:18 PM.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote