Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #141
Pebble Pounder

Ken,save some of it for a 1/8 E-buggy setup too. Hey its just money! Just spring for the 4pk! If I am not mistaken,you can indeed use the 3pk for similar programming.Correct me if I am wrong someone!
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #142
Quarry Creeper

Right on Harley! What would we do without you?

Hicks: Don't worry, my ST-RR conversion is almost ready to go. I was getting ready to sell it until you told me about Norcal Hobbies.

Last edited by killjoyken; 02-05-2009 at 10:37 PM.
killjoyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #143
20K Club

Video is processing now.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #144
20K Club

It takes quite awhile for the video to upload and process, it may be tomorrow before I get the link posted in here.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #145
20K Club

4PK using 3 Channels or 3PK

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #146
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Harley. So you're programming the dual rate dial to control the rear mix, correct? DL1 or DL2? Or does it matter? Also, when you're turning the wheel for rear dig, you're not using the trigger at all, right?

I'm trying to read through the 68 page manual for the 3PK right now to make sense of it all. The controls and features look almost the same as the 4PK so it should be pretty easy.
killjoyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #147
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
Thanks Harley. So you're programming the dual rate dial to control the rear mix, correct? DL1 or DL2? Or does it matter? Also, when you're turning the wheel for rear dig, you're not using the trigger at all, right?

I'm trying to read through the 68 page manual for the 3PK right now to make sense of it all. The controls and features look almost the same as the 4PK so it should be pretty easy.
I have both DL1 and DL2 programmed to do the same thing so that I don't really have to think about which one I am hitting. I just know that if I am rolling a dial it is adjusting my mix.

You are also correct about the wheel, there is no trigger input used for the rear dig. If you did pull the trigger it would apply throttle like normal.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #148
Pebble Pounder

I like the setup. Thanks for taking the time to show how it works in a video. I think I could get used to that setup.

I have too much money invested in Spektrum receivers right now to switch away from them so 3PK is easier on the wallet long term.
Dewmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #149
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmerz View Post
I like the setup. Thanks for taking the time to show how it works in a video. I think I could get used to that setup.

I have too much money invested in Spektrum receivers right now to switch away from them so 3PK is easier on the wallet long term.
Hey, I'm not mad at ya, the 3PK is probably one of the nicest 3ch radios available for our needs. It has some killer feature for sure.

You can pick them up at a pretty good price too, even with the spek module.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #150
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

You can do most of what harley shows for the 4pk with the 3pk. No need to burn any money if you have the 3pk.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #151
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-eyed Jack View Post
You can do most of what harley shows for the 4pk with the 3pk. No need to burn any money if you have the 3pk.
I have a DX3R and at least 8 receivers right now. I do not have a 3PK. A 3PK and the Spektrum module should be a little over $300 and I can use my 8 receivers. If I buy a true FAAST system (4PK) then I have to spend $430 plus roughly $100 per receiver to ultimately switch over to one controller.

I know I know I could just use one controller for some of them and the other for the rest but where is the fun in that.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #152

Quote:
I have a DX3R and at least 8 receivers right now. I do not have a 3PK. A 3PK and the Spektrum module should be a little over $300 and I can use my 8 receivers. If I buy a true FAAST system (4PK) then I have to spend $430 plus roughly $100 per receiver to ultimately switch over to one controller.

I know I know I could just use one controller for some of them and the other for the rest but where is the fun in that.
It is tough switching radio manufacturers, especially when you have multiple receivers. But you do only have to do it once. The big question you have to ask yourself is if you are getting a better quality system. And in the case of Futaba, my answer is absolutely. I have run many different radio systems, but when I bought my first Futaba (3PJ), it was leaps and bounds better than anything on the market. Back then Futaba was a leader with their PCM technology. Now they lead with the most feature rich and adjustable radio on the market, the 4PK. If you choose to purchase the 4PK, you will not regret it.

Last edited by whoodie; 02-06-2009 at 12:25 PM.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #153
Pebble Pounder

Thanks again Harley for the setups in this thread. My 3PKS arrived Friday and I'm already starting to put in base configurations. I can't do any fine tuning until the Spektrum module arrives. I'll also put this to use on my 8th scale electric conversions.

Still confused on why the Spektrum module on its own is $110 but a module and receiver is $100.

One question I have for you is when using a dial to trim back mixing is it normal for it not to return to the original setting or did I set something up wrong.

Example.
Throttle: 100%, CH3: 100%
Adjust preset dial to trim back CH3 to say 60%
Disable mixing with one of the buttons
Enable mixing with one of the buttons
Result is CH3 is still 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Hey, I'm not mad at ya, the 3PK is probably one of the nicest 3ch radios available for our needs. It has some killer feature for sure.

You can pick them up at a pretty good price too, even with the spek module.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #154
20K Club

Everything sounds good to me, the radio will retain the mix settings even when the mix is turned off then back on. You will be used to it in no time.

Glad you are running Futaba now.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #155
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I had everything set up right.

Once the Spektrum module is here and this California rain stops for more than a few hours I'll get to actually try it out. First day out is going to be with the Zero T Berg using RS switches for dig. I want to get this setup nailed down so I can fall back to it reasonably quick at a comp if a ESC starts acting up. Once I have this down I'll pull my 2nd FXR out of the Rock Force and start testing/tweaking the dual ESC setup.

I noticed for mechanical dig setups DT3 in 2 position switch mode goes from end to end not end to neutral. This is something I could not do with the DX3R without putting one end at neutral or double tapping a 3 position switch. If SW1 reacts the same I may set it for 4WD<-->Lock and then put DT3 as a 3 position switch giving me 4WD<-->Free<-->Lock. This may work good on the RF & Axial.

I'm also waiting on the optional large grip for the transmitter to see if it feels any better in my hands and need to figure out what I am going to put in for better battery life be it LiPo or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Everything sounds good to me, the radio will retain the mix settings even when the mix is turned off then back on. You will be used to it in no time.

Glad you are running Futaba now.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #156
20K Club

Let me know if you have any specific questions on the programing. The dig switch setup should be pretty straight forward.

I should have a Lipo write up fairly soon, my lipo pack ships tomorrow. It takes some work though but the weight savings will be nice too.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #157
RCC Addict

Harley, I would like to wheel the spare rig in Omaha so I can try the 2 esc's.

I have a DX3R with 7 spare Spektrum receivers, so it would be tough to switch (just got out of racing 8th buggy/truggy so I have lots of extra radio gear). The only reason I would go to a 4PK is to use 2 esc's in a Berg. Not sure if it would be worth the money to get a 4PK and 1 or 2 spare receivers.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #158
Rock Crawler

Casey,

Dump those spk receivers and DX3R on the Grid. Use that money to fund the change over to Futaba. Don't look back. The confidence that you won't lose bind with Futaba is enough reason to switch.

In fact, click the link below, get a free extra receiver by clicking the "buy now" link at the bottom Hell you can even use the EZ pay to split the cost over three months.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk4900.html

- David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post

I have a DX3R with 7 spare Spektrum receivers, so it would be tough to switch (just got out of racing 8th buggy/truggy so I have lots of extra radio gear). The only reason I would go to a 4PK is to use 2 esc's in a Berg. Not sure if it would be worth the money to get a 4PK and 1 or 2 spare receivers.

Last edited by dkingston; 02-21-2009 at 12:36 PM.
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #159
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post

No problem at all, you can try my rig which should be dialed in. I can totally understand how hard it is to switch radio types.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #160
Pebble Pounder

Harley didn't you say that the 4pk could run the dsm recievers with a program adjustment?
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/136728-4pk-setups-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
&bull; Afficher le sujet - Quelqu'un connais bien la radio Futaba 4PK ? This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:51 AM
&bull; Afficher le sujet - Mon nouveau joujou This thread Refback 10-05-2011 06:04 AM