Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Fat Girl 2.2 scale rock bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Fat Girl 2.2 scale rock bouncer

So I've been admiring this rig for a long time, since someone posted up a video of it doing a wheelie up an incline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32kjYzP4R4

So I decided finally to build this up as a scale rock racer. So far, I've got the frame done and all the parts scattered around

I've obviously got a bunch of cleaning up to do. I will never buy brakeline from Napa again! For some reason, their brakeline just does not braze up well for me, and I end having to use excess heat in my opinion. My tubers using brakeline from elsewhere always braze up much nicer.

Anyways, one of the big stumbling blocks I'm running in to is how to do the hood. On the 1:1 it kind of looks like a narrowed Jeep hood, like the Rubicon or Liberty. However, the HPI Rubicon hood does not have the same roundedness around the headlights. Looking for suggestions here.

Also, anyone want to paint my Willy ! Seriously, I suck at painting, if someone out there can do a decent paintjob for me, PM me.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice start.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

That's some sicc tube work there buddy Pretty much an exact replica of the 1:1. I love it. I like the Coleworx buggies alot & thought about making one, but them curves

Are you going to braze some nuts on for the panels? And what did you want painted-the panel or the chassis? If it's the chassis I can powder coat it for ya. LMK, and keep up the good work.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

WOW, I wish I had a sliver of talent that some of you guys show with your tubing work !!

That is just sick
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, getting the curves right was definitely a challenge. I swear, there's not a straight piece on this entire frame! Will be brazing on nuts shortly.

I need the driver (Wild Willy) painted. I can luckily paint a single colour on lexan panels ! For now, I'll just be throwing on some primer and silver metal paint for the chassis. Assuming I don't get bored of it, I may get it powdercoated later in the year, so I'll keep you in mind.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You can always use a heat gun to form the hood better.

Great start, that is certainly a killer tuber.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
WOW, I wish I had a sliver of talent that some of you guys show with your tubing work !!

That is just sick
Thanks! Hell, after building Jester's piglet (see the large scale section), everything else is easy :-P
Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Awesome! Nice work so far!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #9

hi ecoli,

what is the diameter of the breakline you used for the frame?

greetings
ecodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Donkey Punch Champion!

Nice start man. I think this 1:1 rig was sold recently. We had a MS Crawl for the Cure benefit at an Offroad Park here in MN a couple weeks ago now. This guy showed up with a rig looking VERY much like the one you posted the video of. I talked to him and he said it was a well known rig. Must be the same one. WOW, SICK rig. Sounds awesome and worked! Here are some pics and I have a video I will link later if you wanted.

Good luck on the build...

BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Donkey Punch Champion!

After seeing the rig in person, the ONLY powerplant you can use for your build is a 5t Puller from Holmes. Better get looking!

Ryan
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Awesome job with the tube work.

Here's a link to PBB about the rig and it's new owner.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694203

BigBaller that's the same rig.
thebigJAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

some painting tips for your willy:

I've painted many o Willys, but this masterpiece was done for my top Wild Willy by canandian Franck Edet, who is a miniature WW2 model painter - and a darn great one too.

Hope it inspires you.
simensays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You can always use a heat gun to form the hood better.

Great start, that is certainly a killer tuber.
Yeah, that was suggested to me as well. Guess I may try that out and see if it works out.

As pointed out above, it needs a killer power plant (hint hint ). E-mail order to be dispatched in the near future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecodriver View Post
hi ecoli,

what is the diameter of the breakline you used for the frame?

greetings
3/16" brakeline. I use 3/16" brakeline for about 99% of my builds, even supers. 1/4" brakeline sometimes for supers when there's lots of space. The piglet, which was even bigger than a standard super, still only used 3/16" since there was so much tubework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Nice start man. I think this 1:1 rig was sold recently. We had a MS Crawl for the Cure benefit at an Offroad Park here in MN a couple weeks ago now. This guy showed up with a rig looking VERY much like the one you posted the video of. I talked to him and he said it was a well known rig. Must be the same one. WOW, SICK rig. Sounds awesome and worked! Here are some pics and I have a video I will link later if you wanted.

Good luck on the build...

As noted, yes it was sold recently. I'm going with the orange. The skull scheme is a little complex to paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simensays View Post
some painting tips for your willy:

I've painted many o Willys, but this masterpiece was done for my top Wild Willy by canandian Franck Edet, who is a miniature WW2 model painter - and a darn great one too.

Hope it inspires you.
Inspiring, yes. Doable by me, no! Really, I can braze up a good frame, but I'd have to pay people to take lids I've painted :-P However, looking for a miniature model painter to do this for me is a good tip. I'll have to see if one of the local guys wants to tackle this.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. More to come!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

man this is one sick build. If you ever decide to sell that frame let me know. I have seen that 1:1 rig in person at tellico one year and that thing was bad to the bone.
hummer6504x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:11 AM   #16

Subscribe to this thread.
Impatient to see more ;)

My painted Wild Willy :

Last edited by doub; 08-09-2008 at 02:14 AM.
doub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have wanted to see someone build up this rig for a while. Nice job. The suggestion by Big Baller on the 5 turn is a good one, especially for that rig.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
RCC Addict

This is going to be soo cool, cant wait for more!
G-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
rbl
Rock Crawler

what kinda axles are you going to use? txts? how about tires? some 2.2 rockstompers would give it a good look when timmy had the 47 ltbs on it

and you better learn what ''Bangin Bible Holla'' means if your going to bring it ;)
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

No progress pics. Dealing with a partial basement flood Hopefully early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl View Post
what kinda axles are you going to use? txts? how about tires? some 2.2 rockstompers would give it a good look when timmy had the 47 ltbs on it

and you better learn what ''Bangin Bible Holla'' means if your going to bring it ;)
Axles are going to be Axial running 2.2 rock crushers. Probably not the most scale axles, but they're readily available. Tires are definitely scale, and at least are the easy part to change up in the future!

I do need some matching aluminum wheels/beadlocks. I thought Mayhem made some similar ones, but I couldn't find anything in my search. Anyone help out here?

Bangin Bible Holla, still haven't figured that one out, though I've got an idea what it means. I live too far north I guess

Fat Girl 2.2 scale rock bouncer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro Fat Girl (TMC chassis) Paul4x4 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 13 03-25-2011 09:33 AM
Fat Girl 2.2 run ecoli Scale Videos! 11 09-15-2009 10:43 PM
Fat Girl copperhead rock crawler cruciface Chit Chat 10 02-19-2009 08:39 PM
Fat Girl Wheelie cheapjeep2 Chit Chat 26 05-23-2008 10:28 AM