Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 2.2 1/6 New bright f150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

The chassi mounted steering has been a challenge but I think I have something testable....Hopefully I will ba able to put some juice to this thing and do a test .....I better dig out them 12 volt packs I have. I also have a 3s pack that fits great...Its getting close......I will be posting pics of the latest work tmo and hopefully some report of how the steering works....Onwaed to the evening (company dinner)
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Well I have got it up and running ,the steering seems to work great but not my esc seems to have issues..... I am currently at the "F disk" status with my comp at home so posting any pics is sorta not gonna happen till i get it fixed....Grrrrr I hope to get this resolved by the end weekend. Any pc gurus feel free to send me a pm as I could use a backup resorce Thanks guys Dave...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Well looks like I have some catching up to do. I finally have my pc done the way I like it... Reformat both drives ect...
Anywhoooo Here we go.. I have done alot of work that isnt posted I hope i will catch you all up to speed..
I have since done some work to the toolbox by giving it a false floor, under which I am hideing the electronics. I have done the chissis steering and so far I like it tho it does need some refinements.... I started my testing with a fxr esc and had a few issues with it cutting out, or what might be an overheat??? There is alot of plastic on car/truck esc. I come from f/e boats where we water cool and you can actually feel the esc not a box... Ok anyways I switched to the msonic4 14.4 volt. It seems to be alot smoother than the fxr and also runs slower???
I think I need to recalibrate the esc/throttle. I think I have the bugs worked out of the drivetrain....It is time to make some descisions about the winch. I have seen quite a few different kinds and a wide range of prices.....Ya onna those 200$ units would look nice but....... Im not going that route. I forgot to link it but A guy here made one with a servo into a gearbox that looked real good. It isnt a bumper mount but a interior frame mount.. I plan on going with a interior frame mount design.
I would like to figure out a nice ratio for a servo and build a set up that way. I havent figured out a spool yet ... I have been thinking about a spare line spool for a open face fishing real... I have a mill at work but no lathe so I am stuck with Mcgyvering something up...

I took it for a run outside in the snow today was pretty fun but the fingers get a bit chilly at 21 degrees... It seems to get along pretty good tho i was haveing some esc issues.. I intentionally got it stuck and I was impressed how it really dug in and gave it a good shot.
It isnt fast enough to "jump it" and the snow is pretty fluffy so my last run at the snowbank didnt go very far lol...
Time to order up some winch parts...
OK OK i get it pics time...

I may start with some lighting also. I will also be adding some tubework in the near futer well soon as I recover from the seasonal spending AHHH!!!! taxtime lol... A new map torch is in the future time to try some tubework should be fun...
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Well after some testing and playing it looks like the 4:1 gru didnt hold up. Not sure if the pinion shifted some or wasnt aligned properly to start with, but its pretty chewed up now!!!! I and not sure what to try next.
In actuallity the 4:1 wasnt quite enough reduction. Sure it was fun cruising but it lacked power and would stall.... I need a different set up for gr. Not alot of room to work with ieither.... Any ideas guys.
A different motor ????? I did mods to allow for a 540 with a gru.
Maybe a low rpm motor with alot of torque??? Suggestions plz.
Thanks Dave
Old 01-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Beautiful Build! I wish I had half your talent and ALL of your patience. lol

For a GRU, try the Hpi unit for the WK. 7.4:1 reduction should help out with the stalling.

Check the vendors here on RCC but here's the unit:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVLE9&P=7
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

AWESOME BUILD man looks great,great owrk keep up the good work i ahve the same exact body sitting around here besides is red/maroon has working head/tail lights
Troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

I will have to try out the hpi unit better reduction maybe it will be easier to set up and will last more than 2 packs lol....Actually I am thinking about selling this and concentrateing on other builds I have going... Mine has lights also but not currently installed. The "cool" stuuf comes after if a solid running rig...
Thanks for the compliments and the tip on the hpi unit more to come later after I get the hpi gru
Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Well I finally ordered the hpi gear reduction.. Hope it fits in the provided space......Looks like it will...we shall see.....Hopefully next week sometime I will have an update...
Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Well I got the hpi gru installed and did a short test....
Well im satisfied with the wheelspeed and will find out about the power and torque tmo.. As of now my 3 pm needs repairs??????? trigger something popped loose... The rig slowly hit a register then started sopinning the wheels not stall here lol!!! Mlore testing and hopefully a vid. BTW this rig will be for sale soon I need a dx3r more than this rig.........
Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #70

what wheels are under the blazer that u said WB would be around 9.5'' i have a jeep witha WB of 10 and 1.9 mudslingers still seem to large to fit my body
mmikeclass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Take the WK GRU and plug it into a DG600, and that into your transfer case, taht's what I plan on doing to one of my large builds. Using the GD600 gives you a 5mm shaft too
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #72
RCC Addict

whoa that is a freakin awsome wheely king
Hydro-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

The w/k gru and a 65t puts the speeds just right. I havent tried doing anything major as far and trail running or climbing yet but its faster than a reg crawler by a few mph on 8 cells. I had to do some more interior mods to make it fit around the gru but Thats part of doing a scaler. Once done hopefully it will look pretty scale on the interior. This rig may go in the classifieds if my currents sales dont make enough for a new dx3r and 2 rx.
No this is not an for sale add . just saying it could happen. I do have another scaler that Im still gathering parts for at the moment. The bigger rigs seem a bit easier to work with however they do have their drawbacks.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

bump
Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck its getting their,Nice choice on the wheels.I still want to know where everybody getting these hard plastic bodys from.
Greg
LOSIASSOCIATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

You can get dodies from several places Thrift store are a great place to look. and cheap... Most of these bodies are of toy grade r/c the kind you will find at walmart and such...
Old 04-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #77

Default gotta have that body

where did you come across that body id like to get one for my Clod or any others that might work will help
PlowNMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowNMO View Post
where did you come across that body id like to get one for my Clod or any others that might work will help
The post directly before yours answers that question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
You can get bodies from several places Thrift store are a great place to look. and cheap... Most of these bodies are of toy grade r/c the kind you will find at walmart and such...
Also check ebay and craigslist.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by John82601 View Post
Beautiful Build! I wish I had half your talent and ALL of your patience. lol

For a GRU, try the Hpi unit for the WK. 7.4:1 reduction should help out with the stalling.

Check the vendors here on RCC but here's the unit:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVLE9&P=7
If you use this WK reduction unit, then is a t-case all you need (in place of an original WK center gear box for example)?

Awesome looking truck by the way. I'm a bit jealous.
dbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Well it has been shelved for some time now other projects come up ect....
I still have it and plan to finish it sometime...? Hey this is a for life hobby,be it planes,boats, heck I still wanna do up a sled for the snow...

As for now Im packing and moveing to a more peacefull hood. Shoot the dog... darn lil yippers...... was gonna hook up a silent dog whistle to a low preasure air comp and let it rip till the lil f'rs go coarse and cant yip anymore...... Ya cant wait to get moved and a new shop set up..

Thanks for the compliments...Its a fun build...still need to work out the steering... The wk gru works great and alot beefier....should hold up long as I dont try a Holmes 7 turn.............Lonewolf....