Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: BIG BLUE 2.2 ssr chevy rig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default BIG BLUE 2.2 ssr chevy rig.

so I have wanted to replace the blazer body for a while now. The lexan body is very worn out from alot of time on its side :rofl: some of you have seen my driving style :rofl: So I took a chance and hit all the local goodwill stores.The first one I went to right down the street had this BIG BLUE chevy ssr with a missing bedcap. I thought it was a little different so I passed it up and continued on. Well 4hrs and alot of waisted fuel later I went back and got this BIG BLUE body and brought it home. It fit the blazers 12in w/b perfectly so I started trimming the fenders out. I plan on doing lights on this one, the winch of course, a full size spare, a couple new drivers, maybe a rollbar, and some swimgear.

then started the interior and styrene work. I had to shorten the interior floor to clear the tranny, and started the dropped bed where there was no bed anymore.

look a functional tailgate albiet a small opening

Ok so here is the latest pics. I took spatter paint to the bed and then some flat black. I hope it holds up, looks just like Line-X. this is pretty close to ride height.Im working on mounting up the winch, and mounting the body.

and here is a couple pics of the bed all done.

wheelinjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

damn its been awhile since I updated this here.I still need to finish mounting the seats, the driver and passenger, and some scale accessories. Since the last pics I have installed a brushed aluminum rollbar tied to the frame, wheeled it at a local comp, took 1st place then mudbogged it after the comp. then a few guys have suggested I throw some 1.9s on it to see how it looks. I do want to lower the body a bit so the 1.9s fit better and because when I first mounted it, it was 11pm the night before the comp.
mid-mudbog

it rolled in the mud a few times

with the 1.9s on it.

Last edited by wheelinjp; 11-21-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Turned out real good. You took a truck I hate and made it cool, good job man. She looks much better with the 1.9s. The 2.2s where too beefy (I though I would never say that, THANKS ALOT lol) for the truck.

Last edited by mastathug0; 11-21-2009 at 02:40 AM.
mastathug0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

That looks cool as hell with the HHR body!!
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Very awsome idea, i have never seen one of these bodies in r/c.

are you planning on making any rocker guards and bumpers?
1badxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So I remounted the body over a 1/2in lower than before. it is also much stronger now. I ran the winch line through a rivet in the grill and hopefully it works. im worried the line will just roll up in the middle and not spool evenly. I think most people running this setup have a servo winch with a big narrow spool. on to the pics.
with 1.9s and the seats, drivers, and gear sitting it it. nothing is screwed down yet.

1.9s and my homemade surfboard.

the 2.2s just look wicked to me, I love them on this truck. I think 1.9s would look better than they do with a different wheel and tire.

other side w/ 2.2s.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

drove it tonight and it performs great. it has a better approach angle, departure angle, and since the body is shorter in the mid section it is better clearance at the rockers. I like it.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

well took this rig out to the last scaler comp here with warcrc. Didnt do too bad at all. I like how it drives with the weight so low. I even fit a 2.2 full size spare under the bedit looks good running the courses too. here are a couple pics. I took these of my friend millemans run with it. I borrowed his 1.9 scaler for 1.9 and he borrowed big blue for his 2.2 runs. We had alot of fun.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well with the cold snap we decided to take the kids up into the snow. We ran out of time and stopped at a river and played with the dog and kids. Big blue got a chance to come out too. It was a little cold for the camera so all I got was a few pics. The video camera shut down.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

it looks great, i have the same body [ssr] in the big 1/6 scale i put it on my new bright 4x4 dual battery truck. my older brother gave it to me about 2 or 3 months before he passed away due to cancer he never got to see it. it has the opening hood, doors, tailgate, &tons of lights i never wired the lights yet. id post pics of it but i cant get them to post from photobucket. oh well im proud it !
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

boy now thats 2 hot bodies right there , the muscle man shirtless &his babe in a bikini in the ice frigid waters. LOL.
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #12

best looking SSR i have ever seen... LOL.
SpitzerCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Holy cow it has been awhile. I really like the performance of this rig with the addition of this hardbody. Ive been placing higher and higher in the local comps. So I think it finally deserves a paint job. here it is all scrathed up running at a local rockface.

Ok so I am planning on giving big blue a fresh custom paint job for montana so after the march 7th comp I will temporarily be running this hummer body. here it is on my 2.2 big blue chassis. I will be painting big blue for montana in april and may, so I plan on running this body on it until montana. it fits pretty good with no mods. What do you guys think? All I will add is a rear bumper, lights, and fill the bed with camping gear. Might even do a roof rack and canoe or kayak, not sure yet.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Seans building a shelf queen
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelinjp View Post
Well with the cold snap we decided to take the kids up into the snow. We ran out of time and stopped at a river and played with the dog and kids. Big blue got a chance to come out too. It was a little cold for the camera so all I got was a few pics. The video camera shut down.

Little cold to be ridin' around with the top down you think? Lol.
bluechevytuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASSPONY View Post
That looks cool as hell with the HHR body!!
i dont see an hhr?

now i do... ugly

your ssr looks great
rcfreak363 is offline   Reply With Quote