Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: JK Axle swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default JK Axle swap

New update on the JK. I ditched the AX10 axles in favor of something a little cooler. I snagged these off some weird tractor at the local yard. 45 degrees of turning, lockers and 25:1 axle ratio!

I stuck em under the JK to see how they work. They fit pretty awesome, and look great. The brakes from the axle gears is awesome, the diff clearance is disgusting (sitting at 2 3/8in!) and the steering is way more than i can use before the tires are hard into the links.

Plus the rig got some new wheels! Beadlocks, which im pretty stoked about. They look pretty nice, a little blingin for me, but once they dirty up il like em more. Or maybe il weather them.

Heres the spy pics. Still need to hook up the steering then its time for a test drive.

Enjoi.
Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Thats sweet looking rig man. iv seen those axles alot, what are they?
LabRat 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Hateraide

looks awesome, the suite it really nice
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

best use for the losi axles i've seen sofar
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

dude them are awesome good job!
AXIAL CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome! I love it!
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I hope your using the LOSI tranny or your going to be sorely disappointed with your complete lack of wheel speed.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
I hope your using the LOSI tranny or your going to be sorely disappointed with your complete lack of wheel speed.
You shoulda seen it when i had the AX10 trans AND a Disruptor in there!!! Full speed was like 6-9in per seccond, it was crazy slow.

Ive also thought about ditching the Losi in favor of a GD-600 prolly set around 2:1 or 1.75:1, then that directly into the RC4wd Disruptor. I dont know yet, F/R digs are pretty tempting too.

As for gearing and transmission... Its set up right now exactly how i had it set up with the AX10 axles, but i just replaced the AX10 trans with the faster Losi trans w/ 19t pinion. Right now its about equivilent speed wise as it was on the axial axles. Very very slow.... I am liking the dig unit on the Losi trans more and more, and if im careful, i think i can move the Losi trans from under the hood to under the seats without cutting anything. Right now im refusing to cut any floor boards, i like the full interior too much. Moving the trans to the center would get rid of the 2.18:1 from the Disruptor and make me 2.18x faster. That sounds pretty good to me. Plus i think im going to hook up the dig and mod my 3PM so i can do F/R digs. I know i cant comp with it, il probably make a quick disconnect for comp days, but F/R dig would be hella fun to play with. Powerbraking and whatnot, i cant wait.

Motor wise i have a Hand would tekin 55t that i really like. Smooth, quiet, powerfull, and im only running 6 cells. Id like to not have to go 3s, since i have so many 6c packs already and dont have any funds for new batteries. I might buy a hand would 35 if i need something faster, but this JK seems doomed to be a super slow crawler, and im ok with that. I dont want to stress the axles too bad with the reviews of the CVDs and everything. The JK is heavy and i upped the tire size as well. Il drive easy on it until the axles prove their durability. Driving rigs this slow gets kinda fun anyways, forces me to be patient and drive with finese. Plus if i dont pick the right line, i have to go back and pick the right one, no wheel speed for bumping over a bad spot. Im getting more and more into it, the more i drive the rig. And i havent drove it with the Losi axles yet, i cant wait. The precision of the worms is gonna kick some ass.

Heres my powertrain as of right now. Moving the Losi to the center too would give me a lower CG, cant argue with that. Though il probably have to redo my front link geometry to clear the trans i think the digs and CG gains would be worth the effort.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

go easy on you'r steering EP's should hold up fine. I am sure you pulled them axles down and greased the %^&#$ out of them. figured you would rip your truck apart before you even drove it. PS, I am gonna need those 1.9 wheels from you soon now that I have all these axial parts laying on my bench, its time to put the Orange Yota back together
jafa0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa0 View Post
go easy on you'r steering EP's should hold up fine. I am sure you pulled them axles down and greased the %^&#$ out of them. figured you would rip your truck apart before you even drove it. PS, I am gonna need those 1.9 wheels from you soon now that I have all these axial parts laying on my bench, its time to put the Orange Yota back together
I shouldnt have to worry too much about the steering EPs, the tires are hard into the links at about 35 degrees steering which is where i stopped it. The 645 couldnt even push the tire hard enough to hit the steering stop.

I broke em in for 20 min each with a small, constant load on the drill press with the grease they came with. Then i tore em down, and greased em up real good with some LGB train transmission grease. The Big LGB trains use worms and have forever, i figured if anyone made a quality grease for worm transmissions, it would be them. Im real happy with the grease so far, i used it in AX10 axles, and i like it better than the GM grease i had been using, i even like i more than the Asociated black stuff i had always used. Seems to spin pretty freely, not fling as easy and it keeps constant viscocity up to 300F or something like that.

I still have those wheels just sitting on my shelf, il bring em into Tammies, and you can just pick em up whenever you come in next, im leaving for a week on saturday, so i wont be working till the following monday. Il just tell Rbgerrish and Mikey that im leaving em for you. Or whatever you want. Mexico, here i come!

Last edited by Dumptruck; 06-03-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Those axles look great on there. They actually look a lot like the 2 1/2 ton military axles. I think a simulated disc brake on the front would really set them off.
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett314 View Post
Those axles look great on there. They actually look a lot like the 2 1/2 ton military axles. I think a simulated disc brake on the front would really set them off.
Im am familiar with the axles you are talking about, i feel these look more like a spicer tractor axle, or spicer planetary unit or something. Most those run wet brakes, so no brakes on the axle is pretty scale IMO. I did a 1/6 TJ with TXT axles i painted Olive Drab, now thats an axle that looks like a 2.5t.

These axles are what made me think Tractor when i saw the Losis.

Last edited by Dumptruck; 06-03-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Ah yes. Those do look like them. Never seen those before.
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

can we get some more pics of this one..
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

those are cool. so, what Losi axles are they?
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I believe those are off the 1/10 losi comp crawler.
C-MuRdaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Very nice and clean job. Props!!!!!! More pix please as well..lol Thanks for the eye candy.
WrenchHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

really nice very creative
rtousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

That is just sooo sick! Those are perfect. I was wondering how long it would be before we saw these used as scale axles...
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

If those are losi worm gear. I hope you are running a BIG Battery
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote