Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 4Runner SAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #21
Sinking with the ship

Default sas

hey Brando thanx for the compliment, i see your jeep is coming out really sweet as well ;), if you want a 4runner like i think there is one on ebay right now with an opening bid of $200, i paid 280 for mine. the parts are IMPOSSIBLE to get for it but if you 4 link it and tlt-a-fie like mine then the only worry is finding one with a descent body. the one on ebay had a body is in good shape.

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Thanks, I will have to take a look.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #23
Sinking with the ship

Default Its rolling

well here is an update, its rolling, i finished all the 4 links, they came out great, the carbon fiber bow and arrow trick with threaded rod works mint and links are strong. its got descent flex to it but a high COG but it hink its mostly dude to the chassis shape and it dont think i can it under 3 because other wise the tires would rub and all kinds of other disasters. i like the way it sits, the Moabs not only will work great but look good, i used RckJeeps foam trick, seems like itll work real good. im picking up a stampede 2morow for $50 bucks with a ESC reciever steering servo etc and im going to steal the transmisson out of it and try to fabricate it to work in this thing, hopefully i can get it done without hacking the crap out of it. well if ya have any suggestions or comments leave em.

-Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Talking

All I have to say is that it looks awesome and I can't wait to see in action on the rocks and trails, keep up the good work.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

The only way I can see to make it any better is to put a 80 series Land Cruiser body on it. J/K it looks awesome.
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

that body is absolutely beautiful
Turboduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:00 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

It looks really good! Also if you are still ahve a problem with having the tranny in the back and you need a way to make the front drive shaft smaller try running a set up like this guy did, here is the link to the thread Project "SHAFT" is Comin'............ LOOKOUT GIRLS!!!! and here is a pic of it http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52...ctShaft024.jpg
all he did was run one drive shaft parellel to the ground into a hub from a revo( could also use a regular maxx one) and then another revo shaft down to the front axle. You could also make your own. But it definately wouldnt be to hard.
RcRock-Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

looks good.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Default a radical solution?

i know it would take a lot of re-working to do this, but have you thought about moving the body and axles back a couple inches on the chassis? that would get your tranny centered up without having to hack the chassis too badly. of course you'd have to re-do your links, but you'd have a workable driveline.

just a thought.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:59 AM   #30
Sinking with the ship

Default 4runner

thanx for all the positive feed back guys, im still not sure what im doing with the trans. im picking a pede for the trans tonight and ill work on it over the weekend, the hanger bearing is looking better and better, might not be to bad and wouldnt envolve re doing links and moving the body and all that. thanx for the suggestions!
Mike
Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #31
Sinking with the ship

Default Update 12/4

here is an update...

I ditched the carbon fiber links after looking around the forum some more and finding that tmaxx turb buckles prove to be a good length for 4 links, so out with custom made junk and in with the new tmaxx links.

It came down to having to cut the chassis, there was no way in hell the drive shafts were going to function or anything, i cut it out real clean and straight, came out pretty damn good.

I fabbed up some custom trans mounts for a stand up pede out of the stock tlt chassis side plates,there not the best looking but they get the job done. I'm telling you its not worth just buying axles, buy the damn kit for the 79.95 and you can use some of the other crap and sell off the rest.

I made up the drive shafts and all and the front drive shaft angle is very steep at the trans, not binding but more then I would like it to be....SO i ripped the trans back out and im going to try for a layed down mount as it will give me a few mm less of an angle for the drive shaft.

here are some pics...its all torn back apart now again in 100 pieces across the floor in my room...I must complete for the trials class in Jan for the monster jam in PA. time is a ticken.... better get to work...

Mike
Old 12-04-2005, 11:11 AM   #32
Im Brandon

That is so sick! The moabs look alot better as well.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #33
Sinking with the ship

Default Nows its layed down

Well a few hours in the garage, and one custom made mount, the trans is now layed down... I like it much better this way...

I rebuilt the shocks, enlarged and drilled extra holes in the plastic piston top thing (whatever its called) that the oil flows through. I changed the shock mounting a little bit, seems much better this way, only problem is even with 20 wt oil and losi yellow springs its still to stiff, I need softer springs, maybe the whites... It doesnt way very much cause the chassis is all plastic so its fairly light.

Next step is steering, still waiting on small turn buckles at the LHS to come in

Then I will run it and get some video footage, hopefully it does alright....

Mike
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

That rig looks very cool. It looks like it will be fun to drive.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Great work Mike, looking very good!
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #36
Sinking with the ship

Default Its running

Well the 4runner is nearing the end...well kind of... its completey driveable. I added the poors man widener trick and picked up some King Black Foot half shafts, this gave it a better stance and doesnt hide the tires so far under the body. Its got a JR ESC in it, Airtonics blazer radio (soon to be JR Synthesized) Original Kyosho motor (untill i get a lathe) with a 12 tooth pinion and 87 tooth spur (biggest spur i can fit without it rubbing the drive shafts). I also got my Juggsterr bead locks painted up and put on, I think they look good. I finished up the steering although, I need to pick up a 650z for it, the steering looks pretty scale and even though its alot of linkage and all that its not really sloppy.

I went back to smaller shocks on the front, they work so much smoother then the traxxas ones and it flexes so much better now. My future plans are to wire up the head lights with some LEDs I picked up. Locate the broken mountaineer rim thats somewhere in my room and narrow it and get a geolander for it and make some kind of spare tire mount, I bought solid 3/16 tubing and i wanna make up some rocker guards for it, I just gotta bend it up.

I took all the gay stickers off it, I think it looks 10x better and more realistic. Im trying to think of some other scale 4 runner like things I can do to it, I have been out of the dealer for almost a year now and havent really scene any up close in a long time :neutral: . I am thinking about maybe a bruiser interior for it with a cage or something... I need to see if it will clear the transmission.

Well here are the pics so far, if you guys have any suggestions for more details let me know. I know there a few guys here who own 4runners.

Mike

Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Truck looks GREAT! To make it more scale you should add a roof rack & rock sliders. Maybe some bumpers. I can't find any pics right now but if I do I'll post them.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

that is awesome.
GeoffSFAs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

definitely one of my favorites on here
Turboduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboduck01
definitely one of my favorites on here
I second that. One of the coolest scale rigs I have seen. Best of all I have not seen another one like it. Very nice work Mike.