Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 4Runner SAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default 1/16 4Runner snow run pics and video page 3

well guys, the idea hit me when i had my hulk werks tuber sitting next to my 4runner, i sat the 4runner lid on top of the tuber and it looked sweet! so i new i had to do something with this 4runner. the truck has been discountinued for some time and parts are near impossible to find, even hard then most 3 speed parts. i really like this truck and its runnable but i dont want to risk breaking hard to get parts. not to mention the suspension and axles are not the greatest anyways and the flex on it sux. so this is the Goal:
1)SAS (solid axle swap) to the front, no more IFS, using tlt axles.
2)get rid of craptastic belt drive transmission, swap in Aluminum pede trans, why aluminum? why not?, i dont think i have scene another crawler with it plus itll be blinging...:rollin
and yes im aware that "chrome wont get you home" i just wanna have it cause i can
3)modify truck in such a way that doesnt include hacking it to pieces, i want to use all existing mounting spots and advoid drilling and cutting anything that is unnecessary. after all its a valuable truck and is in perfect complete shape, i just want to use it with out worrying about destroying the original drive train.
4)keep it is as scale as possible BUT also make is a very functional capable crawler
5) attempt to use the steering set up how it comes, why? because its clean and the servo is hidden under the body, i want to keep it scale.
6) full 4 link suspension with 4 inch shocks, using either carbon fiber arrows or brass tubing as links.
7) use original wheels because they have cool toyota center caps
time to get to work..................

1st thing to go was the rear, good bye, not very scale looking in my opinion, the tlt rears are going to look so much better. the rear diff will be locked up

here is a shot of the front b4 i tore it down

front diff dropped out, good bye IFS

heres what it looks like pretty much stripped down, yuo can see the stock steering set up here, i want to try to retain this, by dropping it down and extending the linkage if needed.

pile of parts.... front inner fenders, rear axle, front axle, front bumper etc

hopefully itll end up looking something like this...

well thats it for now. i left the original trans in for now, i still have to get the pede trans....probably gonna set me back a 100$ or so...ill see if i got the funds for it, the goal is to have this done for the winter monster jam trials.

check back for more updates.

-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 01-15-2006 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Update 1/16 snow pictures and video
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
varcor.org

good luck. can't wait to see the finally product. btw, love the 2dr 4runner body...
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looks good man. As with swell searcher, I too cant wait to see the finished product.
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This is gonna be cool. What kind of truck is that? The brand I mean?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

Dave, I think it is a kyosho 1/10 scale 4 runner, mid nineties?
This is going to be a great build, another " outside the box" build, I love these. Most likely because it is what I love to build myself, stuff not many people have tried yet. Keep us posted with lots of pics.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
Sinking with the ship

Default kyosho 1:9 scale

thanx for all the positive feedback guys, i have been into rc for many years, crawling only recently but i realized that both my crawlers were not really built entirely by me, not that im complaining because they are awesome trucks, but when i look around the forums and i see everyone having thier own custom build up it made me want something of my own. something different, that no one else has or has tried yet.

the truck is a Kyosho 1:9th scale, or should i say was ;)

^^ thats what it looked like before i started, i have some more pictures at home that i forgot to upload, ill put up more later.

thank you and check back for updates

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 10-28-2005 at 10:50 AM. Reason: pic didnt work
Old 10-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I found some more info on those trucks:

http://www.zurru.de/english/4runner_historye.htm

Apparently they had a 2dr Pathfinder and Montero body also.

I would give an arm and a leg for one of those Pathy bodies!
Lextronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

and there's one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-R-C-toyot...ayphotohosting
Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

The more I look at this 4runner, the more i want one, they are really cool!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Those are cool, I've got the nitro version but it's missing the belt from the engine to the tranny. If anyone knows where to get one let me know.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'd use bruiser axles and smaller tires if you want to keep it looking scale for a 4runner. However, bruiser axles are $$$, but smaller tires will look better, and probably work better for a truck that will have limited flex/ body clearance. I have mixed feelings. Its a toyota 4runner RC. Its rare. But I guess people hack up bruisers, so go for it.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
Sinking with the ship

Default bruiser axles

i want to be able to use this thing, and i mean USE it, i dont want to destroy the body but i have no problem scrapping the underside off rocks, while bruisers axles would be the ultimate scale affect, the parts are exspensive and in my opinion more fragile. the 2 tlt based crawlers i have now i have been beating the snot out of them and havent had any drivetrain problems yet, plus when i was able to pick up a TLT-1 kit from ultimate hobbies for 79.95 shipped i cant go wrong, a bruiser rear axle alone would have been that much and probably wouldnt even have hubs.... plus now how often do you see guys throwing tlt axles under bruiser frames?

probably the biggest reason besides durability is that i want to use the original 4runner wheels, i know i could by the the adaptor from rc4wd.com but that would just put me further into debt...

sure its rare but one of main goals is to not hack it up, im going to try using all existing mounting spots and im going to do my best not to drill and cut anything out, this way if i ever want to restore it back to original i can.

ill have the best of both worlds with this project, ill have a RARE cool truck that i can actually drive and not just look at on the shelf.

i want to be able to use it and have some fun with it.

any suggestions or comments are welcome to.

any suggestions on tires? im going to use the stock wheels which are really narrow 2.2s...

-Mike
Old 10-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

I think if you are going for 2.2 scale than the geolanders will look and maybe work the best?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

what's the wheelbase of that body? i would love to use one for my tlt if its not too long!
Turboduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #15
Sinking with the ship

Default rear 4 link

here is an update guys, i made up some rear links, i found the two carbon fiber ones (carbon fiber arrows) in the tool box and they were almost the perfect size, so i had a good start there. i mocked up up some top links using brass tubing for now, once i have the perfect final measurements im going to make them carbon fiber as well. i bolted up some losi shocks, there too tall but its a good basis for now. im not using the g-hawgs or those wheels, im sticking with the original wheels (they are really narrow) and i have a set of moabs on the way. i think its going to look more scale with a smaller tire and wont sit as high with moabs and smaller shocks. im going to pick up some losi 3 inch buggy fronts , those should be the perfect shock for this. well here are some pictures.

one of the things im having a problem with it that the stock transmission location is sooooooooooo far towards the back its rediculous the original front drive shaft is like 2 1/2 times the length of the rear. this is a problem because the original front drive shaft had no angle on it as it was an IFS set up. so now i dont know what im going to do for transmission..... i really dont want to hack up the chassis. the only thing i can think of is if i some how made a hanger bearing for the front. a 2 part front drive shaft, one going straight across from the trans to the hanger bearing and then another one from the hanger bearing to the front axle....but i think this set up would suck and would be a huge weak link so im kind of at a loss that this given point. plus im not capable of making a hanger bearing so im just gonna finish getting the axles and mounted up and go from there.

if you have any input or advice on this trans issue lemme know, ill appreciate all the help i can get.

-Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

ooo looks pretty good so far keep updating !
Vegerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I don't now if this is right but why not try a kyosho chian tranny out of thier mad force or something like that. I don't know how low those thing's hang down or if it would even work. Like my name says I'm not the smartest donkey on the block so if I'm talkin out my arsss please be gentle with the responses .
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Coming along nicely. It makes me want to convert my WW2 to sas front and rear? Hmm. I've got spare axles. Hmmmmmm. futrue project.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #19
Sinking with the ship

Default jeep

im pretty sure wild willy would love to have a SAS done, hes prolly pretty upset as it is that his JEEP is IFS ....lol

later
Mike
Old 11-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I like it! It is not the usual project that you see on here. It looks very cool so far. I would like to build something like that. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for a rig like that. Amazing what you can find at a yardsale sometimes.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote