Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy R's TTC Build - "Big Oly"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Thanks for the info. I feel your pain on giving the rig hell then to find out it might take a dump on you at a comp. I'm still trying different batteries pinions on my 1.9..Progress is looking good dude.I love those Rok Lox!
Yeah, man, it was a rough day... I've sunk quite a few hours and quite a bit of cash into this thing. It's frustrating that's it hasn't worked for me yet, but I'll get it all fixed and will finish the build. Hopefully I'll gain more enthusiasm for it as I make more progress.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #202
www.team3sixrc.com

Dont get too discouraged. sometimes a complete rebuild is what some trucks need before they become epic.

i.e. Warpigs Bronco and Griz's Guido
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #203
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
That looks like it's what I probably need, but I'd like to see more pics. I assume there is a flat inside there for the axles and the other side has the ring gear bolt holes? The pic doesn't exactly show a lot.
Yes they do. I have a pair in my XJ.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Go Tommy Go! Your getting close. Keep it up!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Yes they do. I have a pair in my XJ.
Thanks! Looks like I need to place an order today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Dont get too discouraged. sometimes a complete rebuild is what some trucks need before they become epic.

i.e. Warpigs Bronco and Griz's Guido
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Go Tommy Go! Your getting close. Keep it up!
Thanks, y'all. I appreciate the encouraging words. This thing will never be on the level of Tim's and Chris' rigs and I knew that before I started, but I nonetheless have pretty high expectations for it. I thought about it some more last night and I'm wondering if I should keep it's overall look as it is or lop off the whole back end of the chassis and body and make a true truggy out of it. The trouble is time is tight and I'm trying to build a real car right now so I'll probably just leave it like it is....at least for the forseeable future. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #206
I wanna be Dave

Too many truggys out there, full bodied rig is where it's at.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #207
Pebble Pounder

Golden Horizons makes an aluminum carrier. They show up on Tower Hobbies as discontinued, but Im sure you could find them somewhere. They work with the locker you have now.
scottb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb83 View Post
Golden Horizons makes an aluminum carrier. They show up on Tower Hobbies as discontinued, but Im sure you could find them somewhere. They work with the locker you have now.
Except his locker broke.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

LOL! Yeah, it was the sintered metal locker that broke. Surprisingly, the plastic carrier still looks fine. Go figure! I've got a pair from RCP and I just got notification that it shipped today. Sweeeeet..... I also have a solution for my driveshaft. Hope to have updates on that this week.

2JSC, thanks for the input. I think I'll leave the truck mostly as-is, but will add some more rear cage work in hopes of giving it more of a finished look.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #210
Pebble Pounder

Oops didnt see that in the pic. I havent broke one before but I did strip out the carrier on my rear axle when I swapped in a Summit tranny. Good luck on the build by the way, it looks good.
scottb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #211
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Thanks, y'all. I appreciate the encouraging words. This thing will never be on the level of Tim's and Chris' rigs and I knew that before I started, but I nonetheless have pretty high expectations for it. I thought about it some more last night and I'm wondering if I should keep it's overall look as it is or lop off the whole back end of the chassis and body and make a true truggy out of it. The trouble is time is tight and I'm trying to build a real car right now so I'll probably just leave it like it is....at least for the forseeable future. Thoughts?
The last 20% of detail is what brings out the most in a scale rig, however that 20% of detail is 50% of the work......Not totally accurate but you get the idea. It's hard work, it's frustrating, and you will want to give up; but that's what makes it worth it in the end.

Finish that cage, hide the electronics, make some inner front fenders, and take your time on a good interior, then you will be happier with it.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #212
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The last 20% of detail is what brings out the most in a scale rig, however that 20% of detail is 50% of the work......Not totally accurate but you get the idea. It's hard work, it's frustrating, and you will want to give up; but that's what makes it worth it in the end.

Finish that cage, hide the electronics, make some inner front fenders, and take your time on a good interior, then you will be happier with it.
Thanks, Chris. I'll give it my best.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I think it's more like 80% of the work At least it feels like it.

The truck looks great so far, I sure hope you do see it through to completion...and then sell it . Sometimes, taking a week or two off of a project can really help refresh your interest and ingenuity
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I think it's more like 80% of the work At least it feels like it.

The truck looks great so far, I sure hope you do see it through to completion...and then sell it . Sometimes, taking a week or two off of a project can really help refresh your interest and ingenuity
Thanks again. Y'all definitely help out when it comes to keeping up the motivation. I took a break off from this truck for about 3 months or so when I got my vintage hot rod project and started acquiring parts. But it's been a solid 2-3 weeks or so that I've been non-stop on this thing trying to get it ready for last weekend's comp and that wore me down. I'm going to start working on it now with a more casual attitude and not rush it. Hopefully, that'll make it more enjoyable to work on.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #215
I wanna be Dave

By the way, if anyone is interested in traditional hot rods, here's my build that I'm documenting on the H.A.M.B.:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=482087

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #216
Moderator Rule Breaker

So Tommy you ran the winch and steering off Holmes esc ?
No problems ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #217
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
So Tommy you ran the winch and steering off Holmes esc ?
No problems ?
No, Eric, I didn't. I forgot the winch controller has a separate power lead. I didn't test it out yet, but I assume it won't get power through the receiver connector alone. That would mean I would need to tap into the power leads going from the battery to the ESC and I just didn't have time to do that. And if I ended up having to tap into those wires, I would likely just go ahead and add the BEC anyway. In short, I was just trying to avoid tapping into those wires if I could help it. For whatever reason, I always have a hell of a time soldering multiple wires to a Deans lead.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #218
Moderator Rule Breaker

Dang, I was hoping to get away not using a Bec.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Dang, I was hoping to get away not using a Bec.
I think if you just wire the winch controller leads to the power input wires of the ESC, it would be fine. I really don't think you would need to run a BEC, especially since the TorqueMaster output is the same voltage I would set the BEC to.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #220
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I think if you just wire the winch controller leads to the power input wires of the ESC, it would be fine. I really don't think you would need to run a BEC, especially since the TorqueMaster output is the same voltage I would set the BEC to.
LOL. I had the same question and was about to go search out the answer this morning.

Tommy, where are you making contact under compression? EDIT: never mind, I found it here. You and I look to be in the same boat; we need to fit too much burly in too little space. Hey, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Better than under-building. The rig(s) looks great, including your other project. Keep up the good work, dude.

Last edited by Nickle; 09-29-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote