Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy R's TTC Build - "Big Oly"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82-Toyota-SR5 View Post
were did you get the beedlocks for the 1.9 ?
Do a search for Locked Up's Scale Ready wheels.

I ordered up some wheels for this rig. Troy at CAC got some EZ-Locs in stock and I managed to get his last set! They come with tires, too. Can anyone identify them? I've never seen them before...

Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #62

those wheels and tires are bad....they look like rok lox but a little bit wider...but they look better in my opinion....cant wait to see them mounted
civichbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

The tires look cool and are supposedly a Losi, but I've never seen them before. Once they're delivered I'll have chance to look at them closer. If they're soft enough, I'll try them.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Looks like the tires are Losi Desert Truck tires. No idea how soft they are yet or if they'll be good for a crawler, but everything shipped out yesterday so I'll know soon.

Started working on the cage last night. I've never built an internal cage before (well, except in a real car!) so it was a new challenge and kinda fun....as warped as that sounds. I got the main portion of the interior section done and also did some body trimming. No brazing has been done and I'm not quite sure (yet) how I'm going to hold it all together while I braze it. Maybe I'll go get my MIG back from my buddy and tack it all. Anyway, for now it's mocked up with masking tape. Let me know your thoughts...

I also need to fab my upper steering mount on the knuckle, move my rear shocks back, and it'll be a true roller. I'll also make front shock mounts because the truck currently sits way too low to use the stock Axial units.

Once the main cage is done, the challenge will be how to tie it in with rock sliders, front bumper/winch mount, and body mounts.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

I always respected those of y'all who can do quality tube work. Well, now y'all have even more of my respect.

Maybe I'm going about this wrong or something, but fitting a cage inside a body is quite challenging. Getting the angles right, making things parallel, and most challenging of all, finding a way to secure everything in place while you braze it. I gotta tell ya....it's tough. The basic tube work (bumpers and such) I've done up to now has been child's play. It's another world when you have to add design considerations like symmetry within a body, how it will mount to the chassis, how the body will attach, etc. On the plus side, I've learned a lot and next time I won't try to make the cage fit so tightly within the body. And I may cut away more of the body, too. That definitely would've been easier!

Anyway, the method I used was I taped the pieces of the cage inside the body where I wanted them. I then hot glued all the joints and let them set up. I then carefully removed the cage from the body intact....or as intact as possible! Then I would break off the glue at a joint and braze it. It didn't work perfectly and I had to repeat the process multiple times as often times the glue would not hold. But overall, it worked pretty well.

My biggest issue, I think, has been trying to fit the cage so perfectly within the body. Now that the cage is brazed together and things aren't 100% perfect, it's a challenge to get it to fit right and that's what I wrestled with yesterday. I'm too much of a perfectionist for my skills!

Anyway, I've accepting the fact that my first "real" tube project won't be as perfect as I'd envisioned and I'm moving forward. Afterall, our TTC event is in just 2 weeks so I need to get on the ball if I want to run this truck in it! I'll get better pics tonight after some more progress, but in the meantime here's a cruddy cell phone pic of how it sits now....

Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Nice Bronco! That RCBros leaf kit looks great on there. Nice job with the anti wrap bar, very creative. Keep up the good work!
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #67
PapaGriz Yo

Yeah, building a cage to fit the body, mount to the frame, and be square is a pain in the butt. .

It's looking good so far though.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Yeah, building a cage to fit the body, mount to the frame, and be square is a pain in the butt. .

It's looking good so far though.
Well, now you tell me! I thought all this would be a piece of cake. You, Tim, and these other guys all make it look so easy! I guess everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #69
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Well, now you tell me! I thought all this would be a piece of cake. You, Tim, and these other guys all make it look so easy! I guess everyone has to start somewhere, right?
That's right, you gotta start somewhere. If you look closely at Guido's cage you will find some slightly crooked bars. It was my first attempt as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

That actually makes me feel a little better. I really need to just get on the ball and finish this thing up. Time's a wastin' and I've got a lot left to do!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Finally. The first night of REAL progress since I started this dang build! I got the bulk of the cage finished and mounted to the chassis. It took me a lot longer than I thought, measuring a bajillion times before deciding it was good to go only to spend another 20 minutes figuring out how to jig it. But, it's more symmetric and square than I thought I would be able to pull off. Here's some pics of how it sits after tonight.

And with the body over it...

I ended up using 1/8" plate to mount the cage to the frame rails. This was quite difficult to weld to as it was hard to get the plate as hot as the tube. I think what I'll do is leave it as-is 'til I get my welder back and I'll put a couple tacks on it for good measure. Hopefully the rest of the joints hold, but I plan on going over some of them again before paint.

I still have lots more work to do to it anyway so lots more tube work is coming. I need to build the front bumper/winch mount, build some sliders, finish the rear bumper with a tow point, and add lots of triangulation to the main cage.

I'm still searching for the right band saw, but I picked this little guy up the other day. Should make working on this thing a little more pleasant.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

By the way, if a mod or admin wouldn't mind moving this into the "Scale 2.2" forum, I would very much appreciate it. Not sure why I put this into "General Scale Talk."
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome Tommy! Great job on the tube work!
SAL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

The rear of the cage is done....for now. I'm sure I'll be making changes to it, but time is running short and it's "good enough" for the time being. I don't like the rear bumper setup or my recovery point, but it'll suffice 'til I have more time. I also mounted up the new CAC wheels with my Rok Lox. The body is set pretty far rearward because I plan on stretching the rear wheelbase another 1/2" or so. It should look a bit more proportional then. But so far I'm liking it.

I had to slap the suspension on for a few quick shots just to get some more inspiration.

Naked shots...

And with the body on...

Looks like it might twist up better than I thought.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #75
RcBros Hobbies

Your doing a killer job, keep it up!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #76
RCC Addict

X 2, awsome tube work Tommy,cant wait to see the finished rig...
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, y'all...
Old 03-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Nice build. You don't have this build on ORCRC do you. Don't remember seeing it there. Sweet truck. One of these time I'll have to meet up with you when I go to Texas. I like you yellow Jeep alot and would love to try your TTC course your building.
aprobert1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

As a matter of fact, yes, I am documenting this build on the ORCRC site. It's in the Scale 2.2 Build & Tech forum...
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #80
PapaGriz Yo

Impressive flex. Everything is looking good so far.