Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MSD44's TTC Build..... "Project Playboy"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default MSD44's TTC Build..... "Project Playboy"

Well... the build bug has got me yet again. I have been toying with the idea of building a TTC rig for a while now, but with my other projects, travel for work, and the wife and kids... my time and money have been pretty tied up.

I finished up my other scale truck a while back with some help from my friends, and the build can be seen here:
Ya.. It's a JK.. but it's gonna be mean! So now that I am happy with that rig, time to start my TTC!!!

The Build spec's:
1.) Axial SCX10 chassis
2.) Axial Axles
3.) Axial Tranny
4.) Traxxas VXL 3s ESC/Motor
5.) Newbright JK body, Turned Brute Truggy
6.) Proline 2.2 TSL's
7.) Custom Tube bed, and possibly exo cage.
8.) RC4WD Bully Winch (Front for sure, possibly rear as well)
9.) KC_JoNeS's light kit

Not much as of yet. I am waiting on the Axles and Tranny as well as the JK body. I should have those here soon...

But on to the pics...
Just your standard SCX10 (rpp's salvage yard special) chassis with a chassis mounted servo. (RcBros) Gonna lose the plastic links once I start figuring out where everything is gonna go, and how long I needed to stretch out the wheelbase.

And of course the power system.

All I have of my JK right now.... but of course that will change soon.

Last but not least... Proline 2.2 TSL's... Mounted up and ready to go.

And here is what inspired the name of the project. They are just to pimp...

That is it for now.. but I will be posting more as I go! This rig is gonna be awesome when it get's done. Big plans ahead!
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Good start im runnning the vxl in mine with a summit tranny and love the power
lifted_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted_xj View Post
Good start im runnning the vxl in mine with a summit tranny and love the power
I am curious to see how it works for a crawler. I loved it in my slash 4x4. Just unsure about not having a drag brake.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd44 View Post
I am curious to see how it works for a crawler. I loved it in my slash 4x4. Just unsure about not having a drag brake.
Yah I got 2 of the systems and have been thinking about putting it in my jk but the lack of a drag break throws me but it seemed to do ok at the scale nats in I believe was Justin's rig.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Default Update# 1

Well, it's official. I have a roller! (Thanks to dubAron for the loner axles and tranny for mock ups)

That traxxas motor is a bit of a tight fit. I am also gonna have to find a pinion that I can fit in there, or mod the motor plate a bit to move the motor away from the spur a hair.

Got my body today as well. Again, a huge thanks to dubAron for his body work skills)

What's that on the hood??

Bad things start to happen when I pull out the dremel... No more running boards or front bumper.

Now here is where I am going to need help. I have yet to modify one of these body... well... really modify one. I am going for a brute cab. I was thinking of using the lines closest to the front doors (Far right side of the tape) as cut lines. Is this correct? Anyone that has made a brute before... please chime in here.

Same with the rear part of the jeep. The cut lines would be on the left side of the tap. Correct?

Last edited by msd44; 06-20-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looking good man!cant wait to see it come alive,lol...i got my 1st scale build going on myself with my little boy,we got the fj cruiser body with custume cage etc...just started it lastnight and just waiting on my tube bender to come in so we can strt this tube work.hey good luck with the build,i'll be watching.
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

the hood is sick
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default Good lord... some one take the razor blades away!!!

Got a little happy with the razor blades today....

Now... how to put all this back together again. Off to the hobby shop tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I run the velenion setup in both my truck and my wifes and we love them, now there not the best for "crawling" but there more of a ''trail truck'' not a ''rock climber'' so i dont sweat the drag brake to much i just enjoy the crazy wheel speed we get with 2s and even 3s in the loose sand and deep mudd
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbogger View Post
I run the velenion setup in both my truck and my wifes and we love them, now there not the best for "crawling" but there more of a ''trail truck'' not a ''rock climber'' so i dont sweat the drag brake to much i just enjoy the crazy wheel speed we get with 2s and even 3s in the loose sand and deep mudd
Good to hear! I do not plan to jump up past a 2 cell.... but if I do... Lord watch out!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Update #2

The wife had a girls night out last night, and the kiddos decided they were sleepy, and went to bed early last night! So that gave me some free time to start work on the back of the cab.

Now please be kind. This is the first time i have ever worked with styrene, or have done ANY body modifications at all. This is going be be a lot of body work, most of witch I have probably created for my self. But, you learn as you go along... right?

I decided that I am going to go with truggy bed, and ditched the Brute bed idea.

Here are some shots of the rear of the cab.

It's gonna take a lot of body filler to get it just right, but this is only the first application.

Overall I am happy with the progress so far.... More to come!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Looking good so far are your hands tired from sanding yet?
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #13

curious to see what thats gonna end up looking
pebblecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Got a bit more work done today.... started work on the fenders, got the interior to work, and got the back "glass" to fit back in after modifying the rear of the truck.

Still need to get out to get some sand paper so that I can start some of the final body work before primer. But that I probably gonna have to wait. Gonne be out of town for a few days... yet again.

And just a few body on teaser pics. I have some clearance issues going on with the interior in... hence why the body is sting so high.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubAron View Post
Looking good so far are your hands tired from sanding yet?
Dude... you have no idea. But I get to get some more sand paper before I continue on with anything else. Gives my hands some time to rest!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblecrawler View Post
curious to see what thats gonna end up looking
All in time my friend.. all in time. I have some big plans for it!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Default UPDATE: Body work done...... I think....

Body work is now done.... I think. Petty happy with the final outcome. I spent some more time with body filler and sanding. Good lord the sanding. But I think I am finally ready for some paint.. (After yet another fine sanding of the primer)
(Bonus: Can you tell what is missing???)

I still have a few areas that I am just not happy with yet. Am I just being to much of a perfectionist?
Here you can still see some the body filler. No matter how much I work on this corner.. I just can not seem to get it right.

And from here, you can still see the "hinges" from the body... again.. This will get covered up with the tube bed... but still. It is freaking killing me to see it there.

So now... the big question. What color to go with? It was suggested a bright Lime green w/flat black fenders and accents. Thinking that could be sick looking. What do you guys think?

BTW: Ya like my "paint booth" .....
Old 07-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Yeah that would look sick!...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Lime green it is! Going to the hobby shop today to pic some up... along with some drive lines. Gonna try and get a full roller here soon.

I think I am going to hold off painting the exterior until I get my tube work done. Don't want the first scratches to be ones from me working on it!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd44 View Post
Lime green it is! Going to the hobby shop today to pic some up... along with some drive lines. Gonna try and get a full roller here soon.

I think I am going to hold off painting the exterior until I get my tube work done. Don't want the first scratches to be ones from me working on it!
..good luck man..i've always been a fan of bright colors especially greens and orange and pink..YES PINK..here's a shot of my super wheels that i cut and shut,picture speaks for itself