Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy R's TTC Build - "Big Oly"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tommy R's TTC Build - "Big Oly"

Hey y’all,

I’m about to embark on my next build and I think it may be my most involved yet….not that that says much. There’s a few motivating factors behind this build. First, is the fact that our club in central Texas has two classes: Daily Driver class for more moderate trucks and a Trail class for the more radically modified rigs. These are based on modified Montana Scale rules. My Jeep fits pretty well in the Daily Driver class, but I’d like to have something for the Trail class, too. For the second reason, I owe a debt of gratitude to the Oregon (ORCRC) and Canadian folks. I saw your Top Truck Challenge (TTC) builds and videos and they inspired me. They inspired me to organize a local TTC styled event which I’m in the process of doing now. They also inspired me to build my Trail class rig to look like a TTC competitor.

Our local scale rules don’t yet allow 2.2 wheels/tires, but that may change at some point. In addition, I envision 2.2’s being allowed into the TTC event(s) and I'd like the option to run them, too. In my opinion, most rigs need to be at least 1/9th scale to look reasonable scale with 2.2’s. That means no small bodies like my F-350. I need to go larger….

I’m shooting for the look of a heavily modified truck that did not start as a tube buggy, but ended up being a buggy/truggy. It will resemble its original “truck” profile, but will bare little resemblance otherwise to it’s original form. There were several rigs which inspired me. At the top are War Pig's TTC truck and Grizzly4x4's Guido. Just Zach's Tube Bronco and Saydee1800's Pirate builds were also heavy influences. They resemble early Broncos, but it’s clear they’re now hardcore, purpose built trail rigs.

Of course, there’s no point in having a rig look like a TTC competitor if it only has the performance of a stocker. This means it needs big power for a sled pull, wheel speed for mud bogs, torque for crawling, and a suspension that's flexible and stable for all this, in addition to rock races and time trials. That means high speed capability to some extent.

After lots of thought and calculations I thought it best to start with a Honcho SCX10 from Axial. I’ll definitely use the chassis and axles. I’ll likely keep the transmission for now, too. Not so sure about the rest of the suspension. Definitely selling the entire body/cage and will be fabbing my own. It may retain the Honcho suspension bits since it has the wheelbase I want (~12.5”), but I’m thinking of doing something different. Battery will definitely be 3s LiPo. Servo will be high torque. I’m still undecided on the motor. Holmes puller? Handwound? Brushless? ESC will be something that hopefully can handle 4s…..just in case!

As of today, the Honcho has arrived and is built as far as I can go while I await more parts so there's not much to see. Suspension bits, body, and some other upgrades are all purchased and on the way. I’ll be updating when I have something worthy of sharing.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i will be watching
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

A couple goodies arrived today...

Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks and sounds great Tommy! Can't wait to see what you come up with.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, Tim!

Made a little progress today. Not so sure these RC4WD springs will hold up to the weight and power this rig will have, however....

Old 01-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looking great!
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
RcBros Hobbies

I will be watching this one. Looks like a great start!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Traction bars might be a good idea if you're going big on the motor
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I'm thinking front and rear traction bars will be required, especially if I keep these springs. I've got some Tamiya springs I can try, if need be. I would just have to work around the behind-the-axle steering I'm planning on using, which could be a challenge.

I will likely end up linking the rear, but before I do, I think I'll try to extend the chassis to move the rear axle farther back. Shooting for a wheelbase in the 12.5"-13" range.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hey Tommy

Are those springs super soft. How much do you think you rig will weight when its done. ? Looks like we are making great progress

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Hi Evan,

I suspect it'll be pushing 10 lbs. when all the tube work is done. I'm doubting these springs will be strong enough, especially in the front. Moreover, I think they'll have a hard time dealing with the rigors of a truck built for this kind of competition. Time will tell, though. ;)

Tommy
Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Got the body today. It's a shame it'll likely end up getting all chopped up.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Very nice so far....as for the body, yep a shame to cut it up but after the first snip it gets easier!!
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
RCC Addict

WHAT ,not a jeep body. Neah, looks like a killer build, i like the leaf/shock mounts on the axles.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

No, if I build another Jeep it'll be a long wheelbase JK. But if that happens, it won't be for awhile. I've got other fish to fry right now! ;)

Right now I'm wrestling with a few things....

- I don't think the leafs will hold up to the weight/power this rig will have. And traction bars aren't the only thing it'll need. I'm envisioning at least the rear being linked and stronger leafs up front.

- I'm trying to get the motor under the hood so I can build an interior, but that's a big challenge to accomplish while also getting the gearing I want.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
RCC Addict

If it's gonna be a heavy truck why not use the rc4wd leafs for the high lift?? It comes with helper springs and they are not too soft but still flex good once you break them in?!?
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

nice looking rig. The leaf springs do look a little soft. Ill be watch as it looks like a great start to a very nice truck.
twisted crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteadily View Post
If it's gonna be a heavy truck why not use the rc4wd leafs for the high lift?? It comes with helper springs and they are not too soft but still flex good once you break them in?!?
I've got some Tamiya leafs, but they're really firm. Not sure what kit they're from, though. I may try them, but I'll most likely make my own.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I think I'm going to be linking the rear, but I still want to run leafs up front. Current wheelbase is only 12". I'd like to get about 1 more inch out of it. Anyway, since this rig is going to be set up to run either 1.9's or 2.2's, I picked up some 1.9 Rock Lox for it. I'm still undecided on the 2.2 wheels I'm going to run, but I really like the CAC stuff. I'll likely go that route or design my own. We'll see.

Still trying to find a way to get the motor and trans under the hood...
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I've got some Tamiya leafs, but they're really firm. Not sure what kit they're from, though. I may try them, but I'll most likely make my own.
maybe throw the helper springs in too it should stiffin up a bit
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote