Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project Guido: Bruiser Crawler (w/1:1 pics now)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default Project Guido: Bruiser Crawler (w/1:1 pics now)

Well after dreaming of owning a Bruiser since the HiLux first came out, I finally got a set of axles. I picked these up off Ebay am hope to get started on this project soon. This rig will be a totally scale rig. I plan to duplicate everything on my 1:1 Bronc including the James Duff radius arms, winch, lights and bumpers. The front end will be coil sprung but I have not decided if I will use the leafs in the rear. They are so stiff I may do a 4 link coil spring rear because I fully plan to drive this. Not as hard as I drive The SuperDuke but it will see plenty of rocks.
This ones gonna take a while and I have several projects ahead of it but I just couldnt help but post some mockup shots.

The body is borrowed from my daughters Clod but it will be a Bronco of course. The axles need to be rebuilt.

Rear end view. Man I love those axles. The Masher 2000 are perfect 40"s tall in 1/8 scale.

The frame is a 1/2" steel one, the second one I ever built. The shock hoops will be replaced with coil spring buckets and shorter hoops. The chassis tub will have seats, hopefully. Well see if my drivetrain idea werks out or not.

The Mark Thompson wheels came from FullmodTXT, thanks again man. I love them.

Hopefully I can make progress on it in the next month. Hope you guys follow along.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2004, 11:55 PM   #2

Default Re: Project Guido: Bruiser Crawler

bitchen bronco nice work
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

oh wow. this is gonna be one nice, nice scale rig. how have bruiser axles escaped my attention for so long? oh well. i suppose parts for them are not cheap. good luck on the build, you have a wonderful start.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:21 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

a high turn motor with a planetary 7:1 would probably mount up supurbly and give gobs of power. have one going directly into each axle. at least thats my guess on what you have in mind. now i want to try that on my tlt!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:42 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Great looking start on things, Griz! Oh boy am I glad that I sold those wheels! I would have had to spend a bunch of money to build a truck around them! Nice to see that they got a good home!
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

looks nice bro. the leaf springs arnt that stiff if take out the pin and just use a mono leaf set up, but they offer very little travel.
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thats one hell of a bruiser wannabe! man i see the bronco in the backround lets see some pics of your 1:1 bronco!
Team-FSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hope you guys follow along.
Heck yes I'll follow along!! You are going to build the truck I wanted to but couldn't due to limited money and ability. Keep the pics coming.
CWDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I removed the bottom leaf on my spring packs, made them a ton better.
CrawlinForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-FSU
thats one hell of a bruiser wannabe! man i see the bronco in the backround lets see some pics of your 1:1 bronco!
I agree being an owner and lover of broncos
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I agree snap some pic's of the 1:1 Bronco!!!

Oh yeah the RC one looks cool too!!

...Tom
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

OK already! You guys are killin me.
Here are some pics of the 1:1 Bronc, named Guido. The inspiration for this project.

Pimpin with the 39.5" IROKs. The top of the fenders where they meet the windshield is 58" tall. 4" National springs and 3" body lift.

Here's the 302 w/ Holley fuel injection. Everything is covered with white dust from sanding the body. The 302 will come out and be replaced with a built 351W soas I can build the 302 for the roots blower.

I cut out the innner fenders and radiator support and built my own out of square tube. This gives more room for a larger radiator and helps with cooling. I mounted the batteries on the firewall for better weight distribution.

Here is one of the James Duff radius arms and the 78 Bronco D44R w/Detroit Locker, 5.13:1 gears, Warn Chromo shafts, and CTM U-joins.

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7928/f0-157_5747_R.jpg
Drivers side shot showing the BBK ceramic coated Mustang headers and West Texas Off-Road modified steering box. It has been modified for ram assist steering.

Thanks Jinx, I appreciate it.

Thanks John, Bruiser axles are the best as far as scale goes and I'm not telling on the tranny yet.

Thanks FullMod, I'm glad you sold them too. I'll take good care of them.

Thanks NoMercy and CFL, I'll pull apart the springs and see what one leaf feels like.

Team-FSU, CWDU, the66ss, thanks guys glad you like it.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 07-14-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:35 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Re: Project Guido: Bruiser Crawler (w/1:1 pics now)

Very nice scale rig Griz. YOur 1:1 Bronco is looking sweet too. When you are done with yours, I have my stock '69 ready for you to start on

On that James duff lower link, are the 3 through bolts enough to not damage the frame? It seems like you would want to sleeve the frame at least or weld that bracket on. I know many people who have knocked off or really damaged the solid brackets (on other rigs though). Just curious. It looks awesome though man. Keep the pics coming.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:46 AM   #14
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam
Very nice scale rig Griz. YOur 1:1 Bronco is looking sweet too. When you are done with yours, I have my stock '69 ready for you to start on
I dont think my wife would appreciate another project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam
are the 3 through bolts enough to not damage the frame?
I have been debating that myself. I am leaning towards welding it to take stress off the bolt holes. I will also build angled braces on the backside of the bracket to keep rocks from wedging against it. My transfer case hangs down about even with the bracket so I will also build the skiplate to help protect it. All that said, this rig is mainly built for snowbashing and rock trails like Montrose and Independence. I wont even preted that I can keep up with rigs like yours or the buggies, so I think I can make it werk. Thanks Sam.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:39 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

You are da man!!!!

I can't get enough of seeing these early Bronco's!!! If I had that sitting at my house I would be out of r/cing until I was done with it!!

I saw a show on cable (2 years back I think) this guy was building an early bronco's with a bunch of trick parts. For some reason the name steel horse comes to mind. Anyway's the thing looked like it was going to be the coolest thing on the street imo!!!

Thanks for sharing you 1:1 project also....Tom
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:52 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
I wont even preted that I can keep up with rigs like yours or the buggies.
You say that now....

At our last comp in AZ, we had a two part course set up, one hard, one easy. Fireman was doing the hard one, and was having a rough time..

"Why don't you just take the easy one?"
Fireman: BECAUSE I'M A MAN!!!

We've all been guilty of that a few times....

That bruiser looks sick! I wish I had the money to do a bruiser, it'd go GREAT under my Willys body :( Maybe if I save for another 6 months....

As for the 3 bolt radius arms... Leaf springs are held with two, that being said I approve of overdoing EVERYTHING
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by th67ss
You are da man!!!!

I can't get enough of seeing these early Bronco's!!! If I had that sitting at my house I would be out of r/cing until I was done with it!!

I saw a show on cable (2 years back I think) this guy was building an early bronco's with a bunch of trick parts. For some reason the name steel horse comes to mind. Anyway's the thing looked like it was going to be the coolest thing on the street imo!!!

Thanks for sharing you 1:1 project also....Tom
Thanks Tom. It has been sitting for a few months because I had to save for a down payment on a house. R/C's have filled the hole until I could start spending money again. Hopefully it will be running again in the next few months.

Was that Project Crazy Horse on the show Trucks? It was purple and white? That Bronc is sweet.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:35 AM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
You say that now....
True to some extent, I have owned this Bronc for 17 years now. The last few years were spend destroying it trying to do harder and harder rock trails and follow the big dogs of 4wheeling. I've grown tired of that and it's hard to take the family when you might roll it over.
My 1:1 will never be the greatest rock crawler, but it is pretty good and there aint gonna be many rigs that can bust snow trails like it. Plus I can still drive it on the street.

Thanks for the compliment on the Bruiser and while I dont build things to be bombproof, I do shoot for bulletproof.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

cool truck.

CMT's = bling
GeoffSFAs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffSFAs10
cool truck.

CMT's = bling
CTM's? bling? Yes, because they are $185 each 8O But they are strong.
Thanks Geoff