Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scale FJ40, leaf spring tlt build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

looks good man, very nice work. Are you planning on pulling that boat trailer to the lake with the LC? run them together?
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

That is a NICE truck... Very good work. Can't wait to see more
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
looks good man, very nice work. Are you planning on pulling that boat trailer to the lake with the LC? run them together?
Thats the plan, we do a fair amount of camping on the lake so I will take it along for those times when we are hanging out at camp. I have some 1/4" square stook to make a drop hitch, I plan to fab a reciever hitch for it.
Glen
76kcfdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Mmmmman That thing is looking sweet! Nice progress! Keep it up

ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76kcfdeng
I have been working on the springs and shackles, still don't have axles so I can't mount to the frame yet. I made bushings out of vacuum hose and the little brass tubes that come in a clod kit. I am going to use 3/4 elliptical in the back if it works. The shackle on the front spring will bolt through the frame and the front eye will be spaced down 1/4" or so to keep the caster angle close. The rear shackle will mount as shown in the pics and the eye will mount close to the frame to point the pinion towards the tranny, no rear steer so caster is not an issue.
I also built a trailer for my traxxas villain that I will pull with the FJ. It still needs fenders, paint and front support. The boat came used like you see it, needs new paint and some tlc.
Glen

3/4 elliptical

mock up

boat & trailer

trailer

trailer
Thats actually a buggy spring. A 3/4 eliptical is using 3/4 of a leaf spring upside down like a buggy spring but attatch the spring to the axle via shackle where the spring perch usually is and then running a link set-up with coilovers or air shocks to top it off
Yotakid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Sweet, it is going to be nice when it's finished!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotakid89
Thats actually a buggy spring. A 3/4 eliptical is using 3/4 of a leaf spring upside down like a buggy spring but attatch the spring to the axle via shackle where the spring perch usually is and then running a link set-up with coilovers or air shocks to top it off
I beg to differ, that would be 1/4 elliptical. Do an internet search for more info. Thanks everyone for the comments, lots of work to do.
Glen
Old 02-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

76kcfdeng is right, he is running a 3/4 elliptical, a 1/4 elliptical would be using half the leaf spring with one end mounted to a shackle on the axle end and the other side hard mounted to the frame.
76kcfdeng, awesome build. I also have a 1:1 FJ-40 and it inspired me to pay way to much for a lexan 40 body and put it on my nylint crawler. One day I'll have to do what your doing though. That is too cool. Keep up the great work. What color are you going to paint the body?
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
76kcfdeng is right, he is running a 3/4 elliptical, a 1/4 elliptical would be using half the leaf spring with one end mounted to a shackle on the axle end and the other side hard mounted to the frame.
76kcfdeng, awesome build. I also have a 1:1 FJ-40 and it inspired me to pay way to much for a lexan 40 body and put it on my nylint crawler. One day I'll have to do what your doing though. That is too cool. Keep up the great work. What color are you going to paint the body?
I am going to paint it red with white top, silver diamond plate and maybe black hood which my 1:1 has because the red paint faded so bad. I paid a little extra for my body also, I plan to make a plaster mold before I cut it so if I get ambitious I could build a vacuum table and make some more .
Glen
Old 02-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

I beg to differ since an eliptical suspension mounts the flipped spring directly to the axle housing via shackle while a buggy spring mounts the spring to a shackle wich is attatched the the other leave spring.

Yotakid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotakid89
I beg to differ since an eliptical suspension mounts the flipped spring directly to the axle housing via shackle while a buggy spring mounts the spring to a shackle wich is attatched the the other leave spring.

It is also part buggy spring but it is 3/4 elliptical. A full buggy spring is 2 complete leaves opposing each other, a full ellipse. An ellipse is a full circle, hence what I have is 3/4s of an ellipse. You are also thinking of a 1/4 elliptical.
Glen

Last edited by 76kcfdeng; 02-17-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

The 3/4 elliptical is often called a buggy spring. When you are running the standard SOA suspension like the front of his rig here, it is a 2/4 or 1/4 elliptical, hence the spring mounting in two places or half elliptical. With the rear like he has it with the buggy spring or 3/4 elliptical the spring mounts in 3 places, or has 3 places to pivit....3/4 of a circle or elliptical. Here is a site where he did a 1/4 elliptical on the rear of his FJ-40 buggy...scroll down to the rear suspension http://medusa.ih8mud.com/cruiser/FJ4...n/Springs.html

I can't imagine the time you have into that. I started on a 4 link today that is not near as complicated as your set up and its kicking my butt. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

looks like its going to be a fun rig good job on the frame it looks really good
Inclodneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

1/4, 3/4, 2/4 who cares! I love to see something different. Great job on the build up! It would be nice though if you would pay the $20.00 to RCC and post the pics. I tend to not look at the pictures if I have to click on a link. All the bickering got me interested and I had to see what it was all about. I lok forward to seeing the finished truck.
crawldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #35
RCC Addict

What are the leafs made out of, and how wide/long are they?

Looks killer. I'm going to make a similar rig.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
What are the leafs made out of, and how wide/long are they?

Looks killer. I'm going to make a similar rig.
The springs are about 1/4" wide, I think they were 7 1/2" long before bending the eyes in. I had to add a leaf to the front and torque bars to the rear. They are made out of a coil spring that winds up like out of a big clock but it came out of some kind of meter or counter. I got it out of a pile of junk that had lots of small gears and such.
I have made more progress and even drove it, now I need to finish the cage and smooth out the welds and paint.
Glen
Old 03-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

looks good
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
anything that is a toyota based and has leaf springs is awesome

couldnt have said it any better myself.. I am a toyota junkie as well as a realizam hawg.. Combining both into RC is awsome.. Keep up the good work..
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

any update son this FJ? really want to see the finished product.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

anything new