RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   2.2 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Scale FJ40, leaf spring tlt build. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/24319-scale-fj40-leaf-spring-tlt-build.html)

76kcfdeng 01-26-2006 03:32 PM

Scale FJ40, leaf spring tlt build.

I built a clod and now I am starting on a scale FJ40. I own a 75 1:1 so I am building a loose copy. Homebuilt frame, leaf springs and everything else I can. I have a tlt on the way. Here are some pics of the frame and leaf springs. Need some ideas on scale looking shocks.
Glen

scale fj40

scale fj40

scale fj40

ScaleHobbies 01-26-2006 03:42 PM

Nice hand work!!
How did you do the bending on that frame?
Can you do a TJ Jeep frame???
Matt

BrandO 01-26-2006 03:49 PM

Nice Job. I like the frame. Looks like we are going to see a few leaf springer buildups. I have have a Bruiser project I am starting. Along with a couple others I have seen on the board. Good luck on your build, we will be watching.

1BadJeepBruiser 01-26-2006 03:54 PM

Nice frame, Ill be keeping an eye on this build, anything that is a toyota based and has leaf springs is awesome :mrgreen:

Mike

Unimoger 01-26-2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
Nice frame, Ill be keeping an eye on this build, anything that is a toyota based and has leaf springs is awesome :mrgreen:

Mike

2nd that Mike, gotta love the yota with the leafs and metal frame.:mrgreen:

76kcfdeng 01-26-2006 04:56 PM

Thanks, I sure like the look of the scale builds, alot of nice work by people on this board. The frame was bent with a little heat and a little persuassion, the metal is 1/2 sqaure tube cut lengthwise. I have a cage to build and the front bumper. I also need some more cross braces but I am going to wait until I have the axles and trans. I will keep updating as I progress.
Glen

James Luce 01-26-2006 04:58 PM

As long as its not that Toys r Us crap with a plastic chassis.:mrgreen:

Just kidding!!

ranger12 01-27-2006 02:36 PM

Bumper

I built the front bumper today, here are the pics. I just noticed that ranger12 was logged on with my computer, I will have to change it. :?
Glen

bumper

bumper

bumper

76kcfdeng 01-27-2006 03:35 PM

I posted the reply above before noticing that ranger12 had logged in with my computer. He is my daughters boyfriend and he is here more than at home. Hes a good kid so no big deal + he is in to RC. :-P
Glen

thaclodking 01-27-2006 08:36 PM

Very cool, love the frame-work. What wheels and tires are you thinking of running?

76kcfdeng 01-28-2006 09:56 AM

I am getting a TLT used and it comes with mashers on hpi wheels and g-made wideners. I may want to try some geolanders an pede wheels though. The Pedes look like the wheels on my 1:1 LC. I am going to use a Losi xxt tranny with full bearings since I have 1 extra. The truck also comes with an Integy lathe motor. Lots of work to do and things to learn, any advice is appreciated.
Glen

76kcfdeng 01-31-2006 02:15 PM

update

I have been working on the springs and shackles, still don't have axles so I can't mount to the frame yet. I made bushings out of vacuum hose and the little brass tubes that come in a clod kit. I am going to use 3/4 elliptical in the back if it works. The shackle on the front spring will bolt through the frame and the front eye will be spaced down 1/4" or so to keep the caster angle close. The rear shackle will mount as shown in the pics and the eye will mount close to the frame to point the pinion towards the tranny, no rear steer so caster is not an issue.
I also built a trailer for my traxxas villain that I will pull with the FJ. It still needs fenders, paint and front support. The boat came used like you see it, needs new paint and some tlc.
Glen

3/4 elliptical

mock up

boat & trailer

trailer

trailer

Brian, aka XJFanatic.com 01-31-2006 02:47 PM

so ya wear nail polish or lipgloss eh?

Lookin good i really wanna build a leaved xj, just need to find an xj body to do it

Unimoger 01-31-2006 02:51 PM

Great metal work, love the boat trailer.

ColquittCustom405 01-31-2006 07:21 PM

What are using to mend your frame and bumpers?

shortbusjeep 01-31-2006 09:36 PM

how are you going to put the springs to the axles?

crawlingfireguy 02-01-2006 07:16 AM

very nice work!!

76kcfdeng 02-01-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbusjeep
how are you going to put the springs to the axles?

I am not sure yet, I don't have the axles. I may make u-bolts like in the 3/4 elliptical pic or figure out something else when I have the parts.
Colquitcustom405, do you mean "bend", I am bending the metal around pipe, bar and other things I have laying around. I use heat when needed like on the frame, it is all mig welded together.
Glen

76kcfdeng 02-16-2006 10:04 AM

update

Here are some pics of my progress on the scale fj40 and a couple of the boat trailer. I had to narrow the fj frame 1" in the back to fit the axle, next to build is the upper shock mounts and cage. I had back surgery Mon 13th so progress will be slow for awhile. I took the pics since I am just laying around the house.
Glen

fj

fj

fj

fj

fj

fj

fj

trailer

trailer

1BadJeepBruiser 02-16-2006 10:18 AM

Sweet! The frame and everything looks good, I like how you mounted the trans, looks realistic that way, kind like the TC is hanging down a bit ;-). The shackles looks great too, and its got some serious flex for a leaf spring rig :shock: . Keep up the good work!

Mike