Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Trail Tough FJ40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Looks great! Very nicely done sir. I have to ask. Explain the switches and servo? I'm guessing to have indepent control over both servo's on one channel????
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #82
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
Looks great! Very nicely done sir. I have to ask. Explain the switches and servo? I'm guessing to have indepent control over both servo's on one channel????
You are on the right track as far as the switches go...3rd channel is going to be multi-function as it will operate the dig and the winch. Note that I am running my winches on 3-cell and winch control is done by the servo and (on)-off-(on) DPDT switch. The other three switches control LED's, dig - winch selector, and front rear winch selector.

Also wanted to post up a super sweet retouched picture that Tremelle sent me, thanks man!

Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Rnr View Post
You are on the right track as far as the switches go...3rd channel is going to be multi-function as it will operate the dig and the winch. Note that I am running my winches on 3-cell and winch control is done by the servo and (on)-off-(on) DPDT switch. The other three switches control LED's, dig - winch selector, and front rear winch selector.

That's brilliant! I was trying to figure out how you were going to make the dig and winches work on what I assume is still your 3R.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbentrodder View Post
That's brilliant! I was trying to figure out how you were going to make the dig and winches work on what I assume is still your 3R.
Yep using the 3R, but note that it is really tough to make this setup work properly...the travel for the dig servo must be exact (or very close to) the travel for the winch servo...
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #85
Pebble Pounder

I noticed that you have the motor with the gear facing towards the front of the vehicle, does it have alot of torque twist with this setup as opposed to having the gear facing the rear of the vehicle? Looking for the best way before i mount my motor and tranny. I'm not running a dig by-the-way.
dingo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Been busy at work again the last couple of weeks, f'n lamo with traveling and employee crap. But finally spent some time working on this rig on Saturday. I painted the fire wall and and wired a 4-pos micro deans on the winch switch. Also sourced some sweet threaded boots that will seal the switch's up nicely and made up the dig / winch servo switch harness.

Today I wired up the 8x LED's, I used micro deans for the head lights and also for a light bar that is soon to come... Also to make an easier job of setting the end points for the dig / winch servo's I picked up 3-True-Position adapter from wantAsummit. This should allow me to set symmetric end points for the winch using the radio and then set the dig end points using the 3tp-3pTX

Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

This thing looks amazing Eric, I wish I had your electrical skills. You always come up with some crazy stuff. Nice work, when are you gonna come down to the south bay again?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #88

Nice truck where did you get the braided wire cover from.
kam2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #89
RCC Addict

1/4" expanded sleeve comes from McMaster:

9284K412
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #90

Default solid rig -

insane build
looks great and is really a runner

I have an FJ40 that is the same color - this gives me some ideas

Teeth to the wind,
Sno Dawg
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"

man that thing is really nice, keep up the good work.
buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Will you wire my toyota?
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

nice work man...looks pretty nice....
david_387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Some updates for you guys...

I decided it was time for some more beefiness in the axles so I purchased gunner/KC beef tubes, axial under-drive gears for the rear, axial CVD's with gunner pins, Jfab wide hex's and axial knuckles & lock-outs. Also built the rear fender wells using .060" black styrene sheet, I used a heat gun to form the top piece. Same story for the floor and front fender wells. Also added a couple scale touches with the axial shifters mounted on an aluminum plate and the oh-sh!t handle over the glove box:

Installed with the bed floor the fenders give the truck a more completed look:

The wiring for the multi-function third channel takes up a ton of space. I ended up having to use two of the 3tp-3pTX units from wantAsummit so that I could dial in the end-of-travel limits independently for each servo. I set it up so that I use the "F-button" when I'm in the the dig mode and for winch I use the "E-switch". Default position for dig at start-up is 4wd but unfortunately when I use the winch the dig servo is neutral so it sometimes goes into front wheel drive. I also get a little glitch when I switch from the dig to the winch servo but it's not too bad.

Last edited by Mad4Rnr; 03-07-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #95
RCC Addict

To get the truck ready for the G6 scale comp last Saturday I also picked up some Nova dual stage foams and stuffed them in the tires. The front end of the rig is a bit heavy so I had to use the medium outer to keep the side walls from folding under on off-camber. To increase the bite I used the firm outer in the rear but a wish I wouldn't have. Also had to narrow the foams quite a bit to allow me to mount the beads.

Anyway, here are some pics taken at 1:30AM the night before the comp. These are taken with my new Nikon D90 using the 85-105mm lens. I haven't used a SLR since high school and still learning the camera but here you go (shouldn't have used autofocus in my low light garage):

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Awesome rig!
herman712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Default post scale nat's update: C3

not much to do here since I built this rig specifically for C3, only a couple small mods...

First off I had to get some more mAh's for the thirsty 7t puller motor, to do that I fab'd a new battery plate and rearranged the electronics, now I can squeeze in 3-cell 1800mAh 65C batteries. Also to keep the tires beaded I picked up a set of Mayhem scale 2.2 wheels, which I de-anodized the rings... looks awesome but ugg, all those tiny screws!

Lastly I fab'd a quick spur gear cover to keep the masses happy, only failure during scale nat's was a broken CVD inner but Gunner pins held up fine. Will need super 300's and other cool stuff soon...
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Still really like this FJ Erik, looks great!

What brand are the batteries you're running? 65C in an 1800mah battery is pretty spiffy! Is that burst or continuous rating?
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

how was MSD Erik?

you can still get the 8 hole beadlock rings like i did.looks much better than the 16
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #100
Donkey Punch Champion!

The wheel speed on this thing is wicked. Keep up the wonderful work Eric. Let me know when it's for sale...Chino knows my address.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote