Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project Light Wallet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Quick Update

It's been a while, I am still compiling parts, but here is where I stand. The body is with the chassis builder for reference. I picked up an axial tranny and will probably be going with a GCM transfer case. For tires, I got a set of rock crushers and have been eyeing the Pro-Line TSL thread. Was hoping for swamper boggers but super swampers will work. I am still trying to track down a machine shop to fab the titanium links I will be using for suspension and steering. Other than that, just sitting back dreaming of the day I actually get to start building/assembling.
millrtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Here are some up to date photos from the chassis build.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

cool start, can't wait to see it all done. Have fun with your build
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Great start, the bed looks alittle long compared to the 1.1. Might just be the angle the other photo was taken from. Can't wait to see more.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Great start, the bed looks alittle long compared to the 1.1. Might just be the angle the other photo was taken from. Can't wait to see more.
Yeah I got caught between a rock and a hard place. The 1:1 has a wheelbase of 22' and I was trying to match that in 1:10 scale and it turns out, the Tamiya body when modded for the crew cab and everything came out slightly shorter, so the bed sides had to be longer. I think when it is all assembled it will look good, but it start to get a little long on me. Which is fine, this whole thing is about being over the top. I am still trying to find a local machine shop that will work with titanium, for my links.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

And more progress...
Also have a set of CAC EZ-Loks on the way in addition to continuing the efforts to make my RC4wd 110mm shocks smooth and internally sprung.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Great build bro! Love the axles!
shooter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

For those of you interested in RC4WD Blackwells, I will warn you the drive line is much looser than what I expected and for the price that I paid. I did however, come up with a few mods that tightened them up a good deal. PM if you are interested in details. Now back to the build.

Got notice today that the powder coated frame would be shipped back to me on Sunday. I have a shock rebuild kit also on the way to help smooth out the RC4WD 110mm dual spring shocks. I am hoping to convert them to internal springs, but want to get the rig assembled before I tackle that. I also found out that my modded F350 cab is the same length as a Tundra cab. So I will be having an alternate set up of a Tundra truggy, no bed sides. Should be cool. Looking forward to the new PL 2.2 TSL's that I will mount on CAC EZ-Loks, I still think for the final Ford version I will be mounting Mud Slingers in my RC4WD Rockza with the wide rings. The wheels offer the most realistic scale look for the truck and while the TSL's are more scale size wise, the mud slingers just look so agressive. I will have to see if the size throws everything off once installed. Still a while from being finished, but I am looking forward to getting the frame and body back so I can finalize those 2 major components.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:57 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Oop-dates?

Really like the layout of the cage in the rear.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Default Updates

Ecoli and Metal Fume Fabrications strike again. Got the chassis back from Chris today and the thing is ridiculous, powder coated semi gloss black. I couldn't have hoped it would come out any better. Now I can measure for my links and hopefully have them machined soon. I will be using titanium round bar that I got off of ebay and a machinist in town will be turning and tapping everything. Here are some photos. The ride height will probably drop a bit, that was just the height of the can I had laying around for use in tomorrow nights dinner. Some key components, hardware, are still on back order so can't quite start assembling yet, but hopefully soon.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Oop-dates?

Really like the layout of the cage in the rear.
It is very similar to a desert or trophy truck. After reviewing a whole bunch of pictures I drew up a frame that was as similar to the 1:1 as possible. Only real difference is the two hoops at the back of the cab, the 1:1 only has 1 internal hoop.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I was really happy with how it looked after coming back from the powdercoaters. Told you it was worth it !

This was one of the last frames I built before deciding to give up my vendors star. I'm glad I took on the challenge, it's going to be a cool rig once its finished.

What sort of wheelbase did you come up with? I know when mocking it up, it was probably close to 15" or so. Big beast!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

There or there abouts. It depends on where I place the servos and whether or not I run the front axle backwards for behind the axle steering. If the front axle is backwards it will probably be 15.5". Thanks again.

Sadly, the build will be slowing, which is weak because it hasn't been fast. I am going to be rebuilding the deck on my house before winter so most of my free time is now accounted for with that. Once the chilly days arrive then I should be able to crank.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

looking good man, i love those superdutys! the 1:1 had some crazy diesel in it, didn't it?
dealwithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

It did have a diesel, I don't know the specifics, but it did win the tow test portion of the TTC the year it competed. I was gonna go with a chrome stack, but found it would be too expensive, so right now I am juggling with either titanium, or polished aluminum.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

sick, i love seeing stacks on the little trucks

ever thought of doing one in flat black? its showing up alot more in the truck mags these days, a crazy rig with a blacked out stack ;)
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

sick, i love seeing stacks on the little trucks

ever thought of doing one in flat black? its showing up alot more in the truck mags these days, a crazy rig with a blacked out stack ;)
Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Mine will only have one stack. My plans for the Ford body are to try and stay as true to the 1:1 as possible. I do plan on using the same chassis as a Tundra truggy as well and will be creating my own design features, you could see a black stack turn up there.

-Andrew Miller
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

You have officially inspired me to build a scale rig. Awesome work.
Wasp26Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #40

looks good
DemonDancer is offline   Reply With Quote