Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project Light Wallet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badBKO View Post
Steering is the one problem I am running into with my blackwell's too...still contemplating on how to set mine up.
I am still trying to devise a way to set up the steering in front of the rear axle, but I think it is too busy in that area. Behind the front axle would be cool too, but I do not have a enough room due to the tranny and there will be even less room when I install the puller motor.

-Andrew Miller
millrtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Clean flawless build Mr.Miller. Hope the steering works out.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by millrtme View Post
Actually, I was voted onto the board of directors last month. Haha

I'm trying, just too much real life getting in the way. Soon enough, I hope.

-Andrew Miller
i here that, i have a 3 month old and a 3 year old, im not getting alot done either. lol
buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Love the build. Have you thought of maybe using one of those actuators like on the robots? It would look like a hydraulic ram and wouldn't take up very much room. Only problem is I don't know how much torque they put out. Just throwing out an idea, I wanna see this thing run.
Jeep CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep CJ View Post
Love the build. Have you thought of maybe using one of those actuators like on the robots? It would look like a hydraulic ram and wouldn't take up very much room. Only problem is I don't know how much torque they put out. Just throwing out an idea, I wanna see this thing run.
there is a thread on the actuators somewhere, i know because i have read it. i cant remember why but they did not work out to good. i was searching for a hydro steering looking setup myself.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

I got the servo today and never had any idea it would be this small. All I could think of was the 1/4 Scale servo I had on my Clod back in the day. Things have come a long way.

Back to the steering set up. I could do behind the axle steering in the front by flipping the entire knuckle, however, the steering link would be lower than the bottom of the pumpkin. If I just swapped the knuckles the steering link would not leave enough room for the drive shaft to attached to the axle. I could fab up a custom link but it would have a bunch of bends in it so I think I will keep it as is.

Thanks for all the feedback.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

I did some searching and found a link to an old thread Poor Man's Powder Coating. Since I wanted to get my links painted but still need a couple to be made I didn't want to pay to have them PC'ed and end up needing to send another batch out. It was fairly simple, my links were raw so I scuffed them up a bit with a scotch brite pad. I sprayed them with Krylon Fusion Gloos black. I then baked them in the oven for roughly an hour. They turned out pretty good and the coating seems more durable than paint. Here are a few pics although they just look black, I was happy with the result. BTW, I used our oven and have since baked food in it and there was never any problem with fumes.

"Poor man's" Powder coating
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

God that rig looks MEAN! haha looks rigid for sure, bet you could beat someone over the head with those axles above they look solid too lmfao
EEM-CrawlinMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Those look good. I'll be interested to hear back how well the coating holds up for you.

If I tried that, I'd have to make sure the wife was out of the house and never ever found out !
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #90
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Those look good. I'll be interested to hear back how well the coating holds up for you.

If I tried that, I'd have to make sure the wife was out of the house and never ever found out !
I am tempted to try scraping it off just to test the durability.

The first batch was at my parents house When they were out of town. I figured I was over there taking care of the dogs so why not give it a try. It worked well so I did the second batch at my house, and yes the wife was out and never found out.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

some one come and pick up my jaw please!
amazing build! i love the cage!
R/C BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

looking great as always
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am still trying to devise a way to set up the steering in front of the rear axle, but I think it is too busy in that area. Behind the front axle would be cool too, but I do not have a enough room due to the tranny and there will be even less room when I install the puller motor.

-Andrew Miller
Just an idea that worked for the 4WS 2JSC Poison Ivy Project. I did have enough space.

Name:  BlackwellServo.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  53.5 KB
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
Just an idea that worked for the 4WS 2JSC Poison Ivy Project. I did have enough space.

Attachment 159249

Thats not a bad idea, I was hoping to keep everything on the chassis, but I think it would be pretty hidden. Did you fab the bracket up yourself? Thanks for the response.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thats not a bad idea, I was hoping to keep everything on the chassis, but I think it would be pretty hidden. Did you fab the bracket up yourself? Thanks for the response.

-Andrew Miller
I've used this set-up for the Rckrwlr/Crawlin Coles AE Sniper, as well. Yes the servo is nicely hidden F/R and performance is better than a steering servo mounted on the chassis. Axle Mounts can easily be adjusted to get zero bind at full articulation.

You can try the VP dig mount, if not make one from thick aluminum sheet. The Servo mount is sandwiched between the upper link mount and the plate that holds the upper link mount to the axle. Then secured by a screw from the bottom. You can put a lock nut at the top.

Blackwells are really nice. RC4WD should hurry make some HD XVD's for these ultimate scale axles. It been over a year of wait for me. Once they do it, we can start beating these rigs the way 1:1 OG does!
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #96
www.team3sixrc.com

thats pretty sweet. Dont know how I missed this thread.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

I finally got my RC4WD 2.2 Swamper Boggers mounted and these things are sick. I was worried they would be too narrow but I think they look perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Paul at Bad Attitude Machining also milled up some wider hubs for me and too my surprise also included the new scale brake rotor version. They look good and give the truck the perfect stance. I am going to chock up the hubs in a drill and put some scoring marks on the rotor portion to add some realism, although you won't be seeing much of them. As we speak I am waiting for the 5200 to dry on the screws for the bed sides. I hope to have both sides mounted soon. I have also been doing a little work on the crew cab window. Need to radius the front corners, but they are getting there. I ordered some Maxx driveshafts and have a GCM TC on the way. Once I get the drive line in I will be sending it back to CHris (Ecoli) for some minor mods and when it gets back here it will be final assembly time. Thanks for looking.

-Andrew Miller
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #98
RCC Addict

that stance is perfect! have you mounted the servo like in the pic yet?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy View Post
that stance is perfect! have you mounted the servo like in the pic yet?
Thanks, I might experiment with shorter shocks and a semi droop setup, but I personally think this looks pretty good. As for servo mounting, I am def. going chassis mounted servo up front and am going to try it in the rear. The servo mounting method in the pic will be plan B. I also forgot to mention these links are the "Poor Man's PC" link and I did a few light tests and the coating is certainly stronger than regular paint. Not sure if it is up to PC standards, but only cost me $4 for the paint and no shipping/down time.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

I think I just jizm'd in my manties! Nice lookin rig indeed and very nice job thus far!!
EEM-CrawlinMachine is offline   Reply With Quote