Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Short Willy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Short Willy

I've been designing my new 2.2 TTC type rig for awhile now. I've also been acquiring parts and tubing for the chassis.

Here's what I have so far.

I built up an axial trans with metal idler, one piece bottom gear/output from Robinson Racing, slipper cranked down, 52 tooth 32 pitch spur, 14 tooth pinion. I also made a custom modular motor/tranny mount that will go back to a Big D t-case.

This rig will be a custom thin walled stainless buggy with rear steer and lots of custom touches. The body will be a hand made, all metal, chop top Willys pickup complete with full pickup bed. Not sure when I'll start on the fabrication since my wife is due with our 4th child in about 2 1/2" weeks . Hope to get going here in the next week or so, 'till then you can look at this one big ass motor.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wow, that motor mount is sick!!!!! I hope the Axial trans can hold up to the power!

What made you pick the 2550kv motor? I was thinking about ordering one for my Tundra build.

Last edited by justinart24; 11-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
I'm a retard

NOOICE!! I tried to go with the 32p setup with that same size motor, it was a Fiago 36 x 78, worked good but for mine just too big!!

thats just nice right there, what you have I bet its gonna work reeeeally good to, should have great low end being censored like it is and as HUGE as that is, never be short on wheels speed either hahaha

this is gonna be nice!!
rockhopperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Number 4, congrats man. I predict lots of diapers and no sleep in your near future.

Why are you going rear steer on this???
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Im in cant wait to see this new build..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
2006 2.2 National Champ

Nice work Tim! I am digging the motor mount. I may have to do something like that to add a second motor to my 6x6.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Love that motor mount you made up Tim. Definitely looks beefy enough to handle the torque of that motor. I'm sure this build is going to be epic like all your other ones!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
RCC Addict

WOW, by the title I thought you were complaining about your johnson
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Sometimes, I make things.

Nice work on the front mount motor plate, I have been wanting to try something like this myself, probably not with such a MASSIVE motor tho, haha. This is gonna be a powerhouse.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm in, Thanks for the chance!!!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
Number 4, congrats man. I predict lots of diapers and no sleep in your near future.
Yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
Why are you going rear steer on this???
Because rear steer is awesome, and it's a TTC rig.

I decided to build this with the Axial tranny because the Summit is just too big for me. Hopefully I can get some good crawling out of this motor, and have plenty of top end. Should be fine since I can run anywhere from 3 to 6 cell lipo .

Last edited by War Pig; 11-12-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Nice plans Tim...now quit talking and get working on it...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
~THE SCALE SHOP~

# of pages before completion projections?
this will be epic.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Tim, I'm with you regarding the Summit trans. I don't want to devote that much "vehicular real estate" to just the transmission. One thing I've been thinking of doing is using a servo actuated switch the switch between 3s and 6s.....or 2s and 4s, depending on the batteries I'll be using. I think Chris did this with Guido?

Of course, this is only useful if the rig will have better crawling manners on the lower voltage setting. And I don't know if it does. It sure would be cool to flip a switch on my tx and have either nice low speed crawling or loads of wheelspin w/o the hassle/weight of that big ol' Summit trans.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
# of pages before completion projections?
this will be epic.
I think the real question is...how many different colors will it have been painted by this time next year ?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Tim, I'm with you regarding the Summit trans. I don't want to devote that much "vehicular real estate" to just the transmission. One thing I've been thinking of doing is using a servo actuated switch the switch between 3s and 6s.....or 2s and 4s, depending on the batteries I'll be using. I think Chris did this with Guido?

Of course, this is only useful if the rig will have better crawling manners on the lower voltage setting. And I don't know if it does. It sure would be cool to flip a switch on my tx and have either nice low speed crawling or loads of wheelspin w/o the hassle/weight of that big ol' Summit trans.
Yeah, having a switch is just one more thing to go wrong....I'll stick with having different # cell batteries and just swapping them out depending on what I'm doing with the truck. Mostly going to be running it on 4 cell.

I've been working on it here and there. Have the chassis rails bent and the skid made and machined out for the t-case. Built the lower links tonight, and am just trying to figure out where to fit everything. Should have some pics by this weekend.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Location: NHFF world headquarters, working on the "rock mauling hill shooting NHFF pig squealing death rocket"

rear steer
buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Hey Tim, who makes that 32P spur gear? I'm thinking it'll be wise for me to move to 32P as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:

Having the switch from the TX is alot of fun and nice for the wow factor. I don't know if it's worth the extra servo and the room in the interior. It has been useful at times on trail ride stuff but in competition you usually know what voltage you want at the start of the run. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. Like Tim said, it is something else to go wrong although mine has not failed.
The difference in crawability between 2S and 4S is quite noticable.
Quote:
Hey Tim, who makes that 32P spur gear? I'm thinking it'll be wise for me to move to 32P as well.
Everyone entering a TTC should run 32P gears, much stronger and won't get jammed up by mud, sand, and rocks between the teeth.

Looking forward to the rest of this 50 page build thread Tim. I love where it's starting out, great work.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The difference in crawability between 2S and 4S is quite noticable.
Silly question, Chris, but I assume 2s crawls better?