RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   2.2 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Frame Material (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/281534-frame-material.html)

rubiconrockkrawler 11-17-2010 11:00 PM

Frame Material

I did the search feature and I know most everone is using 1/4" brake tubing. I was just wondering why not aluminum or copper? Most everone makes the links out of aluminum. I just have copper tubing already so instead of going out and buying stuff i was just looking at what i already have on hand and could use. Thanks for any help.

highlandcrawler 11-18-2010 01:31 AM

Ease of use"thumbsup". Most of us don't have the tools or skills to tig aluminum. The copper is not an ideal material because it is lacking in the rigidity needed for cage work.

rubiconrockkrawler 11-18-2010 02:25 AM

Ooops i meant 1/4 copper pipe not the tubing sorry, yeah the tubing would definitely be too weak.:mrgreen: But thanks for the info.

ScaleReady 11-18-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiconrockkrawler (Post 2748490)
Ooops i meant 1/4 copper pipe not the tubing sorry, yeah the tubing would definitely be too weak.:mrgreen: But thanks for the info.

I know what the difference is between tube and pipe, but what makes the copper "pipe" a stronger candidate???

warriorsimi 11-18-2010 10:30 AM

are you building a cage or making links? 3/16ths brake line or steel rod looks the best in my opinion for cages ,i make my links with allthread then cover it with stainless tubing or i just use plastic tubing from refrigerator water line.

rubiconrockkrawler 11-18-2010 10:34 AM

If i am reading you right copper pipe isn't the better choice vs the brake line or aluminum, it is just what i have and would be able to work with a little more easily. Copper is heavy and not as strong. I don't have a mig setup, just a really old lincoln stick welder with very little adjustment.

ecoli 11-18-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiconrockkrawler (Post 2748382)
I did the search feature and I know most everone is using 1/4" brake tubing. I was just wondering why not aluminum or copper? Most everone makes the links out of aluminum. I just have copper tubing already so instead of going out and buying stuff i was just looking at what i already have on hand and could use. Thanks for any help.

You didn't search enough, most people use 3/16" steel tubing :mrgreen:

Aluminum - very lightweight, but harder to work with. Not possible to easily braze (yes, there is alumiweld, but reports on joint strength aren't great). Also being a softer metal, can be damaged more easily than steel.

Copper - heavy, more brittle compared to steel.

Steel - cheap, readily available, very easy to braze or weld.

rubiconrockkrawler 11-18-2010 10:12 PM

I knew for links they use 3/16" but for the frame that seems a little small. :cry: Oh well learn something new everyday right? I am still trying to figure out what i want. I was about to do a full tube frame like a KOH type rig, but after seeing Grizz's write up on Guido, that is starting to sway me. That is an awesome rig.