Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Class 2 Jeep JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Class 2 Jeep JK

I just decided last week that I'm going to make the trip to Montana this year and realized that none of my rigs really qualify....yet.

*EDIT: should have read the rules closer, this will be my class 3 rig, not class 2. Since my tires are bigger than 4.75" that's where I get put. It won't be super modified, just a big stomper JK.*

I'm building an SCX10 based hardbody Jeep JK. I plan on making a full metal roof rack to hold the scale goodies, detailing the interior, adding head lights and tail lights, fender liners, hopefully a winch (if mine gets here in time) and some other stuff. Need to get 20 points and I'm pretty much there by only adding some little things but I want to make this one as scale as I can!

I started by stretching my chassis out both front and rear, mounting the steering servo to the chassis and relocating the battery tray to the rear to run a small 2S Lipo and ROC 412 2500kV motor. Should provide enough power to jump anything that gets in my way. The spur just barely hits the underside of the center console, so with a little dremeling it will be a perfect fit.

Here's some pics of the body mounted for now, I'll get more of the chassis as I go. I won't be doing much to the bones, mostly adding scale stuff to be eligible to compete in May!

Plans:

ROC 412 2500kV
Tekin RS
EX-BEC
Probably gonna have to look into waterproofing the stuff a little bit...
Metal Roof Rack
LEDs
Scale Exhaust
Front Bumper
Winch
Scale goodies
Be done before Montana this time so I can actually shake the rig down!

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 03-29-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added info
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

nice start on the jk, never get old seing these new brite build's. looks like a good parts list for sure. use balloons for your elec's, and shoo goo, I've have had good luck with my stuff doing it that way. good luck with your build. and have fun with it
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hey man is it still snowing up there in McCall?I used to hunt on red ridge going to new meadows.
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Subscribed! I'm excited to see where this goes. And I'm really interested in your new motors.

Cool your in ID, that's my old stomping ground. From Boise. I'll be in town for a week in April... Maybe we can do some crawling?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a build thread when you stretched the front and rear suspension. and did you change it to a 4 link suspension?
inkpen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderwebbcustoms View Post
nice start on the jk, never get old seing these new brite build's. looks like a good parts list for sure. use balloons for your elec's, and shoo goo, I've have had good luck with my stuff doing it that way. good luck with your build. and have fun with it
Thanks, I'll either use shoo goo or marine goo. Not sure on the motors, I know they don't like water much being sensored..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone collector View Post
Hey man is it still snowing up there in McCall?I used to hunt on red ridge going to new meadows.
Yep, got 10" on Brundage the other night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Subscribed! I'm excited to see where this goes. And I'm really interested in your new motors.

Cool your in ID, that's my old stomping ground. From Boise. I'll be in town for a week in April... Maybe we can do some crawling?
I'm excited to let the new motors out too! I'll have a few in Montana. If the snow is gone around here next month (I doubt it at this rate) it would be awesome to do some crawling! Boise is awesome, I love it down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkpen00 View Post
Do you have a build thread when you stretched the front and rear suspension. and did you change it to a 4 link suspension?
This thread will have everything I have done. I haven't changed it to 4 link, but I'll get some pics of how I stretched the wheelbase.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

That's where I earned how to snow board.I miss it up there.deer are small here in Florida and there are no elk.oh yeah and it's like 85 degrees out right know.
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Did a little work on the JK, put head lights and tail lights in, got 2 more to use and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them just yet.

It's also now ROC 412 powered! Love the speed it has now. Going to bash on it this weekend!

Also added a few scale items, more to come as I get time.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

subscribed.. anything with brushless system.. i wanna know
especially from tekin new motor
JonehRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I was wondering where I could find the guidlines for what is comsidered to be class 1,2,3... and awsome build you have here by the way
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Great looking JK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemancrawler View Post
I was wondering where I could find the guidlines for what is comsidered to be class 1,2,3... and awsome build you have here by the way

Rules and guidlines can be found here or here
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks man I'm about to start working on my first scaler and have been seeing all these class rankings and was wondering what they meant
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looks good Ty, glad to see you are going to make it over again. So, what tires are you going to be running, 'cuz those are too tall for Class 2 . I'm also going to need one of those motors soon...

Also, please tell me you are going to paint that rig something other than red.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Looks good Ty, glad to see you are going to make it over again. So, what tires are you going to be running, 'cuz those are too tall for Class 2 . I'm also going to need one of those motors soon...

Also, please tell me you are going to paint that rig something other than red.
I edited my post, it'll be my class 3 rig, which will probably be a huge disadvantage compared to all the other rigs I've seen being built, but I don't have the stuff to braze and make a tuber so this will have to do.

I think it's more scale than functional, although it crawls pretty well over things that are reasonable for it's size!

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 04-13-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Can't wait to see the finshed product. Always been a fan of the JK.
505Kustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Got my auxilaries in last night, I think they came out pretty good. Lights on this rig are done.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
I'm excited to let the new motors out too! I'll have a few in Montana. If the snow is gone around here next month (I doubt it at this rate) it would be awesome to do some crawling! Boise is awesome, I love it down there.

Yeah, I really miss Idaho, if I could get a job there I would move back in a heartbeat. Too many people in Denver for me. I'll be in Boise the 19th - 26th of April. We are taking the 1:1 Jeeps out to Carange in the Owyhee's if you would like to do some 1:1 wheeling. If you have never been out there, it's sweet. And it's in the desert so, no snow right now. We will also be taking the quads and razor out sometime too.

Your build is looking good.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Yeah, I really miss Idaho, if I could get a job there I would move back in a heartbeat. Too many people in Denver for me. I'll be in Boise the 19th - 26th of April. We are taking the 1:1 Jeeps out to Carange in the Owyhee's if you would like to do some 1:1 wheeling. If you have never been out there, it's sweet. And it's in the desert so, no snow right now. We will also be taking the quads and razor out sometime too.

Your build is looking good.
should of seen this sometime back, could have went with ya. lived in marsing most of my life. could have showed some good riding spots for the 1:1. a good spot is to go up to silver city for a ride. mabey next time
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote