Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The 'BEAST' Build (Tundra-Truggy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

you separate the men from the boys by the price of their toys i always say...wicked sweet build!
SCORPIAN670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
wow did some say hard on!!!!! If i could get my hands on that thing as r/c or 1:1 i would be one happy man!!!! nice truck
yeah something definatly flintched down there when i saw the final pics cant wait to get my hands on it!! should only be another day or 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPIAN670 View Post
you separate the men from the boys by the price of their toys i always say...wicked sweet build!
i like that saying... i might have to use that sometime
NVUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

we still on for this weekend if you get it built in time? i want to see this beast crawl!!
krazycrawler888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

i like too much the style different of MG200 , and your tundra is the best exemple.
i want one toooooooooooooooooo
doudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycrawler888 View Post
we still on for this weekend if you get it built in time? i want to see this beast crawl!!

you better call me!
EightFootJezuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycrawler888 View Post
I hope so!! ive been out of town and i just walked in the door so i gotta go pick it up at the post office. Ill bust a$$ tonight hopefully i can get it runnin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou View Post
i like too much the style different of MG200 , and your tundra is the best exemple.
i want one toooooooooooooooooo
I agree about his style.. and Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightFootJezuz View Post
you better call me!
You'll get a call for sure if I go! And Ill look to see if i have those axle shafts when i get back from the post office! Ill hit ya up shortly!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Default Its here!

I finally got my hands on the chassis and body today. Been workin on it for a few hours and got me a rollin' chassis. I still have a little work to do on the link like sleeve them with steel tube and re-shape the panhard bar to clear the pumkin.

I gotta say... it looks just as good in person as it does in the pictures (which is rare for online dating... I mean gosh I spend more time with the truck then my girlfriend lately )

With 850 hubs on my VP wheels I sit at 11" wide outside of tires, and 13.5" WB which leaves me with an approach and departure angle of greater then 90*

Thanks Krawler Konceptz for the plates!!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #48
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Looking really mean! Love the wide and long stance.

Oh if you need a driveshaft lengthened I could do that. Your wheelbase is long enough where you just may need a bit more length (if your running MIP's)
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Truck is amazing!..I'm in the works of building a scaler soon.can I ask you is this all mig welded or brazed?and what size tubing did you end up using?
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

the more bad attitude tundra in the world .
what color you want use for this beast
Old 05-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG200 View Post
Looking really mean! Love the wide and long stance.

Oh if you need a driveshaft lengthened I could do that. Your wheelbase is long enough where you just may need a bit more length (if your running MIP's)
Im running Junfac Carbon Steel Shafts. The fronts have a good bite and the rears have just enough that i think ill be happy with em. but ill keep that in mind if i ever run into issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEDY GENIUS View Post
Truck is amazing!..I'm in the works of building a scaler soon.can I ask you is this all mig welded or brazed?and what size tubing did you end up using?

"100% welded joints

I mostly use 3/16 DOM .035 wall steel tube (NOT brake line!) It comes from Germany." -MG200

Quote:
the more bad attitude tundra in the world .
what color you want use for this beast
Im thinking silver chassis to make it kinda 'POP'. Then Gloss Black for the body with a thick silver strip down the middle, or 2 skinnier stirps. Then I'm gona smoke the clear headlight lenses!

Oh and my favorite part about colors is the headlights.... I figure since it truley is a beast that some evil-green eyes would complete its attitude problem!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

good idee on the light green , and color combo
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
good idee on the light green , and color combo
Thanks Im not big on flashy colored vehical but I still want it to stand out and I think that combo should do the job. now i just have to do some research on how to paint a hardbody since this is my first one
Old 05-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Default Progress....

Got the drivetrain all installed... including the GCM 1:1 Transfercase, Holmes Hobbies 45T TorqueMaster, VP Alumn Tranny Housing stuffed with HR Steel Gears and Robinson Racing 1-Piece Output Gear, Alumn Spur Gear and Gear Cover, and Junfac driveshafts (and BTW you cannot shorten Junfac shafts) to transfer the power to the ground. And up front is my 7980 for the steering and the 7950 for my overpowered winch!! (Still need to convert the servo to a winch)

I'll have to do some trimming on the spur gear cover to fit the body right, I thought about just taking it off which would solve my problem but I'd like to keep the coverage on the sides to keep my servo wires safe.

More beefcake for the BEAST! All links are made out of 8-32 allthread sleeved with 1/4" stainless steel and capped with Revo rodends. Ive read that the 1/4" tube fit over the 8-32 with no slop but thats not my experience here. So I added some 8-32 flat nuts to each end to clamp down and support the sleeve. Works perfectly! Plus I think it adds a little realism making them look a bit more like heim joints

So far the most difficult issue I've ran into has been dialing in the panhard bar. If I knew it was such a PITA to make it so it clears everything enough to flex I probably wouldnt have done it. But I like the way it looks so I gave it some effort before I said F-it! I think I got it but I need to fine tune the ride height before I make my final link.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVUS View Post

That is mean looking rig.

Where does one find that MIP shaft
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

i think there junfac shafts
catpwred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
That is mean looking rig.

Where does one find that MIP shaft
correct the are Junfac shafts
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Where did you get your 1.4" stainless tubing at? Looks killer! The panhards are a PITA aren't they!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Where did you get your 1.4" stainless tubing at? Looks killer! The panhards are a PITA aren't they!
I got the 1/4" stainless at my LHS, they just happened to have enough I think I cleaned them out. And yes the panhards are a PITA!!! I probably have 3 hours or so in just that one darn link But I got 'er finally!!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Default Progress...

Here is the finished Panhard bar and the steering links! Now the rig is stripped back down to add a couple tabs to the frame for lights and a couple other things.... THEN OFF TO PAINT!!!

Here is a flex shot... the front end limits the articulation a bit due to keeping the fenders and headlight buckets on the body making the tires rub pretty quick... and at first I though the panhard bar was gona limit my flex too but it allows just enough flex each way to where its maxed out without running into the servos or truss that the tires rub so its like a match made in... my basement I just need to throw some spacers on my shocks to limit uptravel and I'm golden!!

And unfortunatly I'm leavin town for work this week so progression will come to a hault for a few days...