Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Swezy207's 2.2 scaler build! (first build thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Swezy207's 2.2 scaler build! (first build thread)

Ok, so here goes nothing... my first build that I am doing a thread on! Be sure to give my suggestions and opinions on anything you see that could help me!

build details:
-SCX10 frame (Honcho)
-Axial axles
-Axial trans
-probably a jeep body??
-Sidewinder ESC
-Holmes Hobbies motor... which one??
-2.2 losi beadlocks with 2.2 Mud Slingers around them
-120 mm internal spring air shocks from hot racing
-4ws

That should give a general idea of where I am going with this build.

I got this truck in a trade for my T-Maxx. It was a bit beat and a rebuild was in store...

So... Here goes!

First I tore down everything, down to the frame rails. I washed all the pieces, then I sanded and re-painted the frame a metallic grey color.

now time for assembly of the frame.

Thats all the time I have for tonight!
swezy207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Great start and i like the color of the painted chassis...good luck bud.
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEDY GENIUS View Post
Great start and i like the color of the painted chassis...good luck bud.
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Time to de-anodize some links. Im using greased lightning, I let it soak for about half an hour then stirred it around and let it soak some more.

Ok, mounting the shocks, links and axles. The rear axle will be changed later on so that I can run 4ws on it.

Yes, I know the 3 link bar in the rear isnt de-anadized yet, Ill get to it. Also the bent links in the rear are having rubbing issues with that three link bar... any suggestions?

I dont know if I like how high it sits, I may droop the shocks a little bit...

Any suggestions on a body that would fit a 2.2 scaler decently? I figured some jeep body due to wheel wells looking good still if you cut them a lot.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looking good.

The HPI Jeep wrangler would probably look good.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Your probably going to have to do a full droop with those shocks to get decent drive shaft angles
boogiecash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Any suggestions on links? I have a lot of rubbing when the shocks are compressed. Should I run the bent links or just get straight ones? Also, I may be getting a Novak Goat 3s with a 18.5t... whats everyones take on this system?

I haven't seen to many bodies that look right with 2.2 tires on them to still look scale besides maybe some jeeps. any thoughts?? help!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

stright links will fix the rubbing. as for a body you dont have much of a choice with huge tires so yeap a jeep or a hummer.
and you have to lower that down at least half droop if not full droop or your driveshaft will complain and be real tippy/ top heavy

oh and swezy
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrnut View Post
stright links will fix the rubbing. as for a body you dont have much of a choice with huge tires so yeap a jeep or a hummer.
and you have to lower that down at least half droop if not full droop or your driveshaft will complain and be real tippy/ top heavy

oh and swezy

Thanks for all the advise double nut... I took most of it... oh and
Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The HPI Bronco body looks real nice with 2.2's. I'll post up a pic of mine tomorrow for you.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ok... I got rid of the bent links and 3 link in the rear, decided to 4 link it and ditch the 4ws for now. Didnt have any extra links laying around so I make some custom ones out of 1/4 brakeline and these little spacers I found in my parts bin.

quick lesson on how I made my own custom links.

first I cut the brake line to size...

then press in the plastic spacer/gromet things I found to keep the all thread centered.

Heres the finished links

Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Dont know why that photo uploaded sideways

Heres some pics of the 4 link in the rear, I also mounted the transmission and servo. The driveshafts are in and tires are on. I officially have a roller!
I did a full droop on the suspension and removed the cross member above the servo so it wouldnt hit.

random cheapo 222oz servo

trans is in

Tires on, showing ride height and fully extended suspension

Flex shot

I do have some rubbing from the tire against the shock, so some sort of wheel spacer is needed.

well, thats all I have for you for now! gotta get some money together to get some electronics... esc, motor, reciever. also prolly get some jun fac steel driveshafts cause I know the plastic ones will fail when I need them.

next Im gonna make a mount for the electronics, and also I need to get a BODY!! I feel naked...

What do you guys think???
Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Oh, and I know its the wrong spot to post this, but I want to show you where Im working on my rig. I'm very proud of it!

I built it and stained it last week.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Looks good,my only question i have is wont the plastic gromments just come out under presser?are they glued in?just dont think they will hold?..you ever think of solid aluminum rod?..here's what i did..i took solid 1/4 aluminum rod then i drilled down the center of the rod,then i taped the hole then cut the threated rod to fit inside and added the ends.

..not tellin you what to do,just giving you some ideas.good luck man.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hey thanks for the input! That's a good point, but I've been running the same links in my sportsman and they have held up for close to a year now, never pulled out. Your idea is great too, maybe if they do start messing up I will give your "genius links" a try lol. I don't have the tools really to tap the threads tho. Eh, well see how it goes!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swezy207 View Post
Hey thanks for the input! That's a good point, but I've been running the same links in my sportsman and they have held up for close to a year now, never pulled out. Your idea is great too, maybe if they do start messing up I will give your "genius links" a try lol. I don't have the tools really to tap the threads tho. Eh, well see how it goes!
Hey,if they held up that long then i stand corrected...and im far from a genius,the name just sounded good...Keep up the good work man and hey,i just ordered those shocks myself,see how i like them
Old 06-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by swezy207 View Post
Dont know why that photo uploaded sideways

Heres some pics of the 4 link in the rear, I also mounted the transmission and servo. The driveshafts are in and tires are on. I officially have a roller!
I did a full droop on the suspension and removed the cross member above the servo so it wouldnt hit.

random cheapo 222oz servo

trans is in

Tires on, showing ride height and fully extended suspension

Flex shot

I do have some rubbing from the tire against the shock, so some sort of wheel spacer is needed.

well, thats all I have for you for now! gotta get some money together to get some electronics... esc, motor, reciever. also prolly get some jun fac steel driveshafts cause I know the plastic ones will fail when I need them.

next Im gonna make a mount for the electronics, and also I need to get a BODY!! I feel naked...

What do you guys think???
Looks good so far. Instead of wheel spacers you should limit the travel in your shocks a little bit to keep the tires from rubbing, that much articulation can hurt ya more then help ya. Just my $.02
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Looks good so far. Instead of wheel spacers you should limit the travel in your shocks a little bit to keep the tires from rubbing, that much articulation can hurt ya more then help ya. Just my $.02

thanks for the suggestion. I think the articulation right now is good, not too much, but we will see on the trails! How do you limit it if I do need to?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

ok, I had a little time today to fab up an electronics tray.

I work at a chemical plant, so I can get all the plastic you could ever want
I started with a piece of plastic sheet

Cut it to size and wrapped it with carbon fiber vinyl sticker sheet, drilled a couple holes and mounted it. thats where the battery will sit.

Then I took a stock Axial battery plate, marked out where to cut, and mounted it.

here it is all mounted. the esc and reciever will sit on the metal plate and the battery on the plastic/carbon fiber one.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Also I am bidding on a body from ebay. Hopefully I get it!