Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Old tube frame + two independent suspension gearboxes = new project!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Old tube frame + two independent suspension gearboxes = new project!

Well, after making the decision to not do my Hummer H2 indy suspension build (i will be building that truck with TLT axles possibly for a more scale look.) since the chassis was not what i liked and other issues, i tore the truck apart and was left with just the TA02 gear boxes and some 2.2 Axial tires and wheels. Then....an idea popped into my head and this time this might be slightly easier to do. I have an old tube chassis that i bought a few years ago and well...i wanted to use it. I figured i would some how mount the TA02 gearboxes and maybe make like a rock racer/rock crawling type of buggy.
On to the pics......

Heres the tube chassis i will be using. the front and rear of the chassis will need to be modified to mount the gearboxes. I havent brazed before, so this will be....interesting to say the least lol But this will be a great start!

Here are the TA02 gearboxes i will be using. I havent locked the diffs yet, but i will still have to figure out the driveshaft for this, but this build will allow me to NOT use the pede trans that i was going to use with my hummer build, so i will only have to make one drive shaft, and thats a lot easier.

Heres what it will kind of look like. I still need to figure out how to mount everything pretty solidly, since i might jump this rig sometimes and it will be kind of a fast rig too.

So with all this said, im still going to do my Hummer build, but....it sort of a long term build, since i pretty much have all the tools to use in order to build my indy suspension buggy. Any suggestions or ideas also is always welcomed. Ill try to post up the updates as i go. Although i still need to get the brazing tools to modify the chassis. Hopefully i will be able to finish this build and try something a little different.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Ok, I finally got around to starting my tube chassis mods. Ok, bare with me, im a complete newbie to brazing. Yes its total crap, but im learning i guess. So here are some pics of my progress.

Heres a pic with my main mount brazed in. This is used to bolt up to the original body post mounts for the TA02. Im using those to bolt the top end of the gear box to the chassis.

Heres what i have so far. Ok, like i said, its crappy, but i am a newbie and im trying lol

Heres how the top of the gear box will bolt on. I still have to figure out the bottom mount.

I plan on working on the chassis again tomorrow, although im already running out of solder lol The joys of learning how to braze lol
Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a good start. Cool project
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default cool

Man, this is gonna be Killer
JUGGARNAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Awesome idea... Will be interesting to see what it ends up like.
How do you think the gearboxes will go running 2.2 and a little speed? Are you worried about durability?
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys for the kind words! In fact i am a little worried about how the TA02 gear boxes will hold up to the 2.2s and just a little bit of speed. I think there is a company out there that does make steel gears for the Tamiya TA02 gear boxes. I do plan on upgrading the dog bones to CV style joints for durability. Im going to try to limit the speed so i dont blow the gear boxes up everytime i take it out. Its turning out just how i want it to be....so far
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Alright, finally an update on my project. Sorry for the slow process, but work has been kicking my butt lately. So heres is where im at so far. I have the rear TA02 gear box mounted (well kinda). I didnt get much done tonight since it was late and i was running out of solder, but i kind of got the rear gear box where i want it. I also mounted up the shocks and 2.2s to see what it will kind of look like. Im pretty stoked about this to say the least. Tomorrow i plan on tackling mounting the front gear box (that should be interesting.) Heres some pics of where i stopped at for tonight.

Heres a shot of the back. I like how much ground clearance there is. I might do a little tube work that goes over the shock tower to protect it a bit, not sure. It looks a bit incomplete.

Heres a shot of the front mount for the rear gear box. I wanted to make it a beefy place to bolt the gear box to. Just in case. I`ll have to finish brazing the mount, but so far...so good.

Just another shot of the front mount for the rear gear box.

Tomorrow i will hopefully mount up the front gear box and make it a roller and just think about the drive shaft to connect the two gear boxes together to get it to be 4x4 again. More tomorrow!!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, today went just how i wanted. I got my truck on its wheels today. The front is kind of mounted on the chassis, i still have to finish up a strong mount for the back end of the front gear box (much like the rear gear box.) and also i have to figure out how im going to mount the steering servo. But check out the pics, i think the stance is great on it, although the rear shocks are sagging, but thats ok, they are only for mock up. So enjoy the pics!

Heres how it sits as of right now.

Just a front shot. Looking wicked already

Here is how the top mount for the front gear box looks like. I`ll be adding a rear mount and some more tube work, maybe a cool protector that goes over the gear box and ending just on top of the front bumper.

Just another random shot.

More to come later!!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I am finally able to give a long over due update on my independent susp. buggy. I finally figured out the front end and im on my way to figure out the drive shaft, its pretty much done, just have to sort out how to tie the skid plates into the main skid plate in the middle of the chassis that will hold all my electronics and such. So on to the pics!

This is the steering servo mount i thought of. Im hoping it will be strong enough. Ill replace the servo mounts themselves with aluminum ones i have.

I still have to clean up the brazed joints and paint it up and figure out the skid plates and i can finally call this project done...hopefully lol Ill post another update when i can.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome.
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Cool project man.

I would make a one piece metal skid that extends out to the gearboxes and bolts to the bottom of them.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yea i was thinking about doing that actually. I also have one idea where im going to cut the back half of the stock plastic chassis and then use some delrin or even a small cutting board as the middle section to mount my electronics. Ill be ordering some Jato half shafts and see if i can get them to work for me. Like i said, updates will follow when i can
Old 10-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That's Cool I like anything different this is defiantly different.
Mt.Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Old tube frame + two independent suspension gearboxes = new project!

any updates on this? I'm very interested in doing something similar.
JUGGARNAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #15

Default Re: Old tube frame + two independent suspension gearboxes = new project!

I love this idea and it looks like you have a good start. Cant wait to see how this one turns out.
andneverexhale is offline   Reply With Quote