Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tedo's W.E. Rock Moonbuggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tedo's W.E. Rock Moonbuggy

Hi guys,
I have always loved the Moon Buggies. Picked up the tube frame from a member here. Not going to be any specific themed buggy (monster, maxxis, etc). Here's the list:
__________________________________________________ _________

2.2 Ecoli Campbell chassis.
R1 portal axels
rc4wd R2 Heavy Duty tranny
rc4wd 90mm Ultimate scale shocks at 80% droop
MMP w/ 13.5 power plant
4 wheel steer
Still deciding on wheels (love the TSL's but they are kinda big still)
__________________________________________________ _________

Here she is before a complete tear down and rebuild. (I was running 110 shocks at 100% droop... was still sitting pretty high).

Last edited by tedo; 11-14-2011 at 08:57 AM.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #2

sweet rig man heres mine
My sons Truggy/Buggy thing.
axialdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Got a little more done over the weekend. I stripped all the paint from the frame to the bare tube color, then lightly applied a thin coat of silver primer. I like the natural tube color.

Here's the new height with the 90mm shocks. I still think these tires are a tad too tall.

I am liking the width of these axels compared to the width of the frame:

It's going to be a pain to hide these electronics. Most all of the wires will be hidden with the interior and driver. The body panels are old. They are from the first time I built it up for a shake-down weekend run. I plan on concealing the esc with a hood of some sort. Any ideas?:
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. Why do your front tires look like they've got positive camber to them? Maybe it's just the pics.

When I built these frames, most of the tires were around the 5" tall range, hence why the swampers probably look a little tall on there. For the electronics, what I've seen most guys do is use a half interior for the main part, and then hide additional components in the rear under a 3D motor. If you look in the 1.9 section at Mad4Rnr's build, he did a great job of hiding everything.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Looks good. Why do your front tires look like they've got positive camber to them? Maybe it's just the pics.

When I built these frames, most of the tires were around the 5" tall range, hence why the swampers probably look a little tall on there. For the electronics, what I've seen most guys do is use a half interior for the main part, and then hide additional components in the rear under a 3D motor. If you look in the 1.9 section at Mad4Rnr's build, he did a great job of hiding everything.
Yeah, the front foams are destroyed which makes the tires wonky. Well over 150 packs through them and the tires. And the gmade axels are known for slight slop in the C's...

Got a little more done. Got the driver in. Still going to make a dash and planning on making a "dummy motor" plate to go over the rx box and battery behind the driver.

Ran it a little in my basement, and she is definitely a scrapper. Very impressed. I thought I would lose some performance going from my 110 shocks to the 90mm, but nothing really noticeable (yet).

Now the driver is in, I am okay with the size of the tires... the driver definitely adds a little perspective and scale ratio.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Well, got a few more things completed to hide the electronics.

Made a cover for my ESC which also doubles as a dashboard.
Made a rear engine from parts I had laying around. This covers the battery and receiver box. Simple and effective.

I am in awe how great this buggy performs. Hopefully it will be nice out this weekend and I can snap some pics and get some video. The last couple weeks I have been too busy to snap any because I am just having too much fun watching this buggy perform. The winch will be replace by a functioning one this winter, got this one in a bundle trade..

Considering how tight this tube frame is, I think I did pretty good at concealing everything.

Would love to hear some feedback.

Love the stance:

Old 11-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

loking good i'm not real crazy bout plastic motors(thats just my opinion) and just a thought you mite look at some vid on you tube (any labeled walk around) of this style 1:1's they r mounting their winches directly on the axles to one side with some crazy,wild lookin tube work- i think looks awesome!
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well, Vermont graced us with mid 50's today. Went out to run the buggy. I really love this thing. She crawls so good.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #9

Sweet buggy! good job on hiding the electronics, i started building one got 75% complete and started new projects ,this gives me some motivation to pull it off the shelf and finish it up.
tcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #10

Looks good. Just needs thr monster energy drink logos.
crawl59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrawler View Post
Sweet buggy! good job on hiding the electronics, i started building one got 75% complete and started new projects ,this gives me some motivation to pull it off the shelf and finish it up.
Yes, you have to get creative to hide the electronics. I am very happy how it turned out. She really performs good too.

Yeah definitely finish yours up. I had a lot of inspiration from the numerous Campbell buggies here on rcc in years past!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl59 View Post
Looks good. Just needs thr monster energy drink logos.
I got something planned for the panels, but it won't be Monster. There's some cool looking buggies out there right now.