Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: ☆ Apocalyptic H3 SUT ☆

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Fan of wheelspeed

Default ☣ Apocalyptic H3 SUT ☣ (video page 3)

So here we go...it started life as a TCS X-Trail chassis and some scx10 axles that I got from ILLEagle.

I ordered a set of Gmade TS02 scale shocks to go with it. These shocks are probably by far the most realistic shocks I've seen to date! They come with hard and soft springs.

I have the H3 SUT hardbody as shown below. This will be paired with a one off, custom made front bumper from AxialJeepster @ Bent Metal Works. I'm going for a ARB BullBar front bumper w/ a winch plate and LEDs. I'm still up in the air on the rear bumper. I may just do a simple tube bumper with a ball hitch mount. Im not really sure on this yet. I'll make some custom sliders myself. I want to come up with something different on this. I may fall on my face and just have some tubes on the sides, but I'm going to try to get creative. I may just pick up a set from BMW. This truck is going to sitting on top of my 2.2 VP SSZ Stars and Mudslingers. I've got some 1.9s w/ TSLs if I want to get down n dirty. Either way, here's a mock up shot. It's sitting a little higher than Im shooting for. It'll be Banner Red once its finished. But I did this just to get a idea of what will be coming in the next few weeks/month.

Here's the list:
MMP esc on 3S
Novak 18.5t Sensored motor
Axial trans with HR Hardened internals
custom made drive shafts
TCS X-Trail chassis
RC4WD links and rod ends
Savox 1256TG Servo
Flysky RX/TX
2.2 VP SSZ Stars
1.9 TSL Super Swampers
Bent Metal Works front bumper
Homebrew rear bumper and sliders
Custom made H3 S.U.T. body by Illeagle
4 link front/3 link rear SCX10 axles
Team3Six Roklube in everything
billscustomrclighting.com LED kit
RC4WD Bulldog 9300XT winch
HeyOK Winch controller
Beef Tubes in the front axles
Gmade XD 93mm Piggy back shocks
alot of scale goodies.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 07-20-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Apocalyptic H3 SUT

thats the first time that ive seen someone us the truck version.

It actualy looks pretty sweet.
Burntnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: Apocalyptic H3 SUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntnuts View Post
thats the first time that ive seen someone us the truck version.

It actualy looks pretty sweet.
Thanks. Credit goes to IllEagle as far as I know. He did the drop bed and all before I got it. I've just got to figure out a way to make it work.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ☆ Apocalyptic H3 SUT ☆

That's looking pretty good. I think you should cut the lower half of the side down and do boat sides instead of rock sliders, I think it would look sweet! Just my 2 cents!!!
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

Ill look into it. Im getting a fwe things done on the body work and Ill post up some progress pics. Im debating a opening hood. I havent seen any yet, and Ive got a extra H3 body to hack on, micro screws, and Dubro hinges. I did the mod on my Wraith with the Dynamic Concepts Rubi kit and it turned out nice. Im not really sure if I want to at this point. If it makes it easy for me to swap out batteries Ill do it. If not Im not going to mess with it.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Fan of wheelspeed

I cut out the front and rear bumpers and smoothed alot of the mold lines. The front is being custom made and Im going to try to make my own rear bumper. But when I fail miserably I'll go to Axial Jeepster with Bent Metal Works to have one fabbed up.

The spare tire had to go. Ive got a couple of reasons. First being weight. I want this thing to be seriously badass. Im running my MMP on 3s with it. So this will be my mud bog/pullin/crawler truck when its done. The second, Im not going to buy another set of stars so I can have a matching spare. I just cant validate spending another $100 (wheels, hubs, tire) to make it look right. As far as mirrors, Ive found some chrome H3 look alike chrome mirrors from Yeah racing I ordered for it. I'm debating on painting all of the chrome flat black to match my wheels, or chrome it out. I'll get some body shots up as soon as I can.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Love the H3T's, dead set on running 2.2's? I think this thing would look BA with 1.9's.

Reminds me of a pretty sweet SFA h3t that offroad evo did:
Attached Images

dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

agreed. this thing need 1.9s.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

^ X3
I think here's a couple of the same one:

Modbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
Fan of wheelspeed

Ive got some 1.9 TSL's on black Axial wheels, and yes, it does look very nice and way more scale with them on it. But I've got these stars and Im dying to run them on this truck. Maybe I should do the build around the 1.9s and just swap out the wheels and tires when I want a change. If I had some 1.9 stars the world would be a much better place as far as this build goes. Or...maybe I could stretch some 1.9s over these, maybe do a little tire modification and cut up a set of 1.9s and 2.2s to get a low profile 1.9 tire with a 2.2 bead? Not sure. Maybe I should've stuck this build in the scx10 thread so I could go either way as the build progresses. Once I get the body work done and the bumper in Ill start setting up the chassis and suspension how I want it and then I'll make the call.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Fan of wheelspeed

well, heres how she stands to date. Really all Ive done to the body is smooth things out. I cut the front and rear bumpers off of the hardbody to make way for the new ones. Sorry for the measurements here, but this is what the front looks like as of now.

I snapped part of the rear window while removing them. Good thing Ive got a backup set.

I removed the rear tire mount and the rear windshield wiper that was still on the tailgate.

I also convinced my nephew to help swap out some tires.

and stretched my 1.9 TSLs onto these 2.2 stars. What do you think?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
www.team3sixrc.com

Not a bad start.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Those tires will look much better under it, if you can stand the big wheels keep em. Maybe it won't look bad with those tires.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
ahhh S^*T

oh wow , I like the way the 1.9's look on those wheels.. lets see a mockup shot!!

what a NEF you have there

def 1.9's tho
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #15
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Not a bad start.
ty sir. It doesnt hold a candle to the work Ive seen roll out of your threads, but it'll do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Those tires will look much better under it, if you can stand the big wheels keep em. Maybe it won't look bad with those tires.
I agree. I see 22's with low pro mud tires here and there in town. I love the way they look. Hopefully side hilling wont be a issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialJeepster View Post
oh wow , I like the way the 1.9's look on those wheels.. lets see a mockup shot!!

what a NEF you have there

def 1.9's tho
TY sir. My nephew helps me alot. Ive got like 5-6 of them, and some how I ended up with 2 daughters, go figure. Wouldnt change a thing dont get me wrong, just nice to have a "guy" around every now n then. Im taking him to my clubs SCT course for some night racing this Saturday. Youd think I was introducing him to santa claus. Its all hes been talking about. Well, that and getting the hummer going. Little guy keeps trying to trade me out of my backup H3 body, lol. Ive heard this more times than I can count, "Uncle James, Ill trade you my Grave digger, and my red one for the yellow Hummer?" Lol. My reply, "Here, take out these screws, and dont lose em." Hes a good kid. Mock up pics coming up. I hope thats everything you need as far as specs go Axial Jeepster. If you need anything else let me know.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 06-14-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
and stretched my 1.9 TSLs onto these 2.2 stars. What do you think?
I think you have found it. I like that look.

I'm curious about the performance. Keep us updated.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
I think you have found it. I like that look.

I'm curious about the performance. Keep us updated.
I am too. I'm hopeing that the sidewalls dont roll under on the side of hills. If it does, Ill put some tuning rings on the sidewalls and then try again. I agree with this being the look. Esp after the mock up. My nephew and I have been toiling away on the body since the wee hours. I cut out a couple of strips in the bed so that the top of the shocks/towers poke through so I could get the body to lay on the frame, and that was my only option to retain travel in the back end. Ive got the tailgate how I like it, the truck under primer, a coat of white to make the red pop, and the first coat of Banner Red. First of all, it's BRIGHT red, which I really like due to the contrast between it and all of the black accents on the truck and wheels. But here's how it setting under its first main mock up.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Scale Detail Engineering

The 1.9's look great on the 2.2 wheels!
If you decide you want a wider tire... you might be interested in this. I cut down 2.2 TSL's to 4.75" so I could run them in Class 2 (legal in our club). 1.9 wheels just look too small on my bug.
Attached Images

Last edited by johnnyh66; 06-14-2012 at 10:11 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #19
Fan of wheelspeed

big trouble in little china...after messing with the rear shock mounts passing through the bed floor, the front bumper mount location is off by about 13mm! I hope B.M.W. can work with me on this...
Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Fan of wheelspeed

well, lol, the punches never stop coming. B.M.W. (Axial Jeepster) and I have got the details worked out. Sorry for being a PITA bub. Now to sell these shocks. They just arent going to work on this truck. Seems like 2 steps forward, three steps back.

☆ Apocalyptic H3 SUT ☆ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apocalyptic summit- FEAR IT! ( fun-build challenge) Mdlopez1 General Crawlers 16 10-13-2011 11:15 AM
Sut colin1986 Axial SCX-10 8 05-30-2011 05:51 PM
hummer h2 sut colin1986 1.9 Scale Rigs 18 01-16-2011 03:37 AM
FJ SUT rebuild..... TattooKenny 1.9 Scale Rigs 42 08-16-2009 08:32 PM
My FJ SUT dirk379 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 06-04-2008 09:13 PM