Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Whole Lotta Rosie

She ain't exactly pretty
Ain't exactly small
Forty-two, thirty-nine, fifty-six
You could say she's got it all...

High Quality: AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie Live at Donington 1991 - YouTube

Story of my 2.2 CGR Blazer who's humble beginnings were of an AX10 Scorpion. So, you know when you get too overwhelmed with stuff and it almost paralizes you? That's where I was at with my projects. I had a S-pile of stuff, but no idea what combination I should put together. I'm not really into the competition stuff, more interested in just trail riding and gtg. But I am slowly catching the scale comp bug.

The first roller I had was with the narrower AX10 axles, front and rear steer, and the SCX10 chassis. Before even taking it out on its first run, I put the AX10 axles back on the shelf, ditching the rear steer for the stock set of Wraith axles. I kept the 2.2 Rok Lox and Axial Beadlocks and MTHead rings. Initially...
Attached Images

spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Whole Lotta Rosie

So after a lot of tweaking - before even running the thing - it got to this stage. Right now it was running Punisher drive shafts with not enough spline engagement and the other specs:

Integy 55 motor
Rooster Crawled ESC
2500 mah 2s lipo
Traxxas 2215 receiver
TQ3 radio
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Made some wheel wells, modified one project box so the FXR ESC and wiring would fit, swapped motors after the 27T went up in smoke. It wouldn't be the last motor I smoked...
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I then did a drive shaft mod and went back to the original WB I had wanted to run. It was here, and I am still running them:

Pin Through Options For Drive-shafts?

Then a few more questions, such as, "How "free" does your Wraith axled rig feel w/o a motor? Can you push it and it will roll? This truck feels really tight, and the last issue was to tight of mesh between the pinion and spur. I just want to take as much friction out of the driveline as possible..."

So, a little research here and looking at the Wraith kit instructions answered some questions. I printed up the kit instructions for the axles, pages 12-15. I popped the diff covers and saw the orientation of the gears was opposite of the kit instructions.

After disassembling the rear and installing the gears correctly, I ended up with the short shaft side lockout not seating correctly. Apparently, this was/is a fairly common occurrence.

Rear axle short shaft issue?

I emailed Axial to see if they could send me a corrected shaft before I begin drilling out the gear set or cutting down the axle flange. I was almost to the point where I should have just thrown my old AX10 axles under it and called it game over.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So, futher updates. When I said I wasn't going to blow apart the rig, well, I lied. I picked the remains off of the SCX10 chassis and moved it over to a GCM Cross Canyon chassis. The frame rails for the GCM chassis were closer to the length and WB of this CGR body. Not only that, but the width of the frame rails was also wider as well. Plus, I then had enough spare parts for a SCX10 framed, GCM transfer cased 1.9 rig later on. I modified an AX10 skid I had in my parts box and used the links that I made for the SCX10 chassis.

I then got all of my parts in. The front axle was updated with VP knuckles, chubs, tie rod, drag link and axial's universal axles. The rear axle was updated with the new axial short shaft. I've attached a pic of the front back together. The VP pieces are so choice.

I've gone through the entire drive line and I have removed as much of the bind out of the driveline as possible in hopes of saving future motors.

Oh, and I had some Swampers laying around...
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The Swampers were too short and went back into the parts pile. My brother and I painted up a set of LockedUp RCs front and rear hubs. By this time, I had sold my soul to RC4WD and Vanquish Products and in return they sent me their Hitman 2.2s, sticky Iroks, and another set of choice VP chubs, knuckles, and steering links for the rear.

This is really beginning to get out of control and a drug addiction would probably be cheaper at this point.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

By then, I'm fully committed or need to be committed. I had upgraded to a hacked FS3TGB radio and was getting ready to ditch the 2S lipo for this pig in favor of 3S. There were two things I couldn't draw my attention away from: Harley's bulletproof Wraith upgrade thread and the For Sale forums here.

So with that, I scored some VP Aluminum housings and more goodies to thow into them. And after more trimming to the body, here is how she sat ready for her first comp:
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Finally, out to her first comp. Pics are courtesy of LockedUp RC:

Still a lot of work to do. First mods up are going three link in the front to help eliminate my front bump steer and going to stiffer springs in the rear. Next step will be clean up the wiring underneath and figuring out a more robust body mount system other than velcro. Thanks for looking!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

When you're ready for scale rehab, give me a call. I'll talk you out of it.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Going Fast

Sweet cgr! I like the look of the wraith axles and huge Iroks sticking way out of that Blazer!
mud digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So, I've gone with the XR mod on some SCX10 axles. The Wraith axles were too wide and 4ws steer just wasn't a good fit with the full body. My Wraith axles are on the shelf waiting for a new tubed buggy home, which I hope to get to in 2014...

The insides of the new axles have overdrive and underdrive gears as well as LockedUp RC's new locker. These lockers are no slop and are a tight fit on standard SCX10 shafts. Unfortunately, I had to do some grinding and filing to get the tangs to engage on the XR shafts. We'll see how well the shafts hold up once I get this thing rolling again.

Which will be soon!

Pics...
Attached Images

Whole Lotta Rosie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whole lotta tire.. thebigJAT Chit Chat 39 10-05-2006 01:08 AM