Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Clanker's Wreckluse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Clanker's Wreckluse

as an afterthought for this build...I mentioned the $1000 gift from my wife as a starting point....I went well over that amount...
but it crawls nice now....
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Lots of views....but no comments

Don't be afraid, I'm looking for feedback

Thanks for looking
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I have a set of axles the chassis now I just need the 1k+ budget ;)

Any info on link length? Ever thought about cms? I've been reading up on a couple builds with it.
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Oh, you don't need to spend as much a s I did. I went kind of nuts on it and bought stuff new when I had spares I could have used, should have made my own links instead of the VP stuff.

I've never been a fan of the panhard set up required for CMS. I really didn't even consider it.

Link length is as follows: eye to eye

Front upper 4.25"
Front lower 3.85"
Rear upper 5"
Rear lower 4.5"

Everyone's build is different, I bet your links will be as we'll
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Thanks!! Just asking on links for a ruff ballpark figure. I had no idea where to start.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Are you using the wraith axles ?
Depends on your shocks also. Do a mock up before you cut anything and even then, be prepared to do it a couple of times...
I'll help if you need it....
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
I knew that about this chassis when I started the build. So I thought that the wider AR60 axels would help, plus as low as I could get it and still maintain some anti-clocking when compressed. That worked to a certain degree but still had to add weight to the front wheels and extend the back out a bit...remeasured it again last night...wheel base is now right at 13.175".

If I hadn't done that, any climb more than 45* and she wanted to roll over backward. She does a lot better now and is a more fun to run.

Seems each rig is unique as to how to tune it and get it to stick to the ground better...but some added weight down low helps the COG in most cases. You might start with that Lobo...I'll help ya man....

I was very close to starting work on the 'luse but chose to leave it on the shelf till i was finished with the broncos (both are winch equipped now)

Dont get me wrong, i am doing mental work on it before i start taking things apart. I'm definitely going to go with 1.9 wheels with a set or Iroks (love these tires). My intention are shorter shocks. Currently they are 110mm and im thinking of 90mm. Link lengths are to remain the same but its not written in stone.

your right about each build being unique, I researched link length when doing my build and it was different for each build. My link setup was trial an error. till i was happy with wheelbase and angle of the drive line.

I will seriously keep your advice under consideration with regards to the extra low placement weight. I have a set of 1.9 titus wheels with the weights that will definitely keep COG low. Not liking the wheels but maybe i can place the weights on inside of a different wheel if that works.

Wild willy is still staying as my trusty co-pilot.

forgive my ignorance but what did you mean by "still maintain some anti-clocking when compressed"?

If we could get both Wreckluses to crawl together that would be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Are you using the wraith axles ?
Depends on your shocks also. Do a mock up before you cut anything and even then, be prepared to do it a couple of times...
I'll help if you need it....
Yep same setup as you! Wraith axles. I'm not looking for hard core crawler just want it to have with.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Lobo:...when I was getting the links together and trying to find a length that worked, compression would clock the front axel back and almost bind the drive shaft until I found the right length for the links in combo with the shock position I wanted. Then would the servo clear the chassis ?....NO
so I augered out the chassis to clear the servo horn then it worked. I mean a 1/4" difference in length would be disasterous. I had to walk away many times, was very frustrating. But then I found the right length/combo ...and it was a beautiful thing. It would compress and squat pretty and no clocking...you'd have thought I won the lotery...

I'm not a fan of wheel weight anymore...rotating mass has snapped a couple of Universals on my Wraith. Blue Monkey makes some axel weights for the wraith axel, but they are NOT cheap. I did find some clamp style collars for the TF2 and in searching for those, found some that fit over the end of the wraith axel...been wanting to try that for weight. They weigh about 2 oz a piece. I'll update this thread when I get the chance.

I don't have near the power in the Wreckluse I have in the wraith/basher so it might just be a power-weight thing...maybe I just went over the edge.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Hey KMoore...the wide wraith axels are a real plus. They add stability, especially if you can keep it low. If my welding/brazing skils improve, I might consider shopping the roof down. That would help also...but I'm chicken
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Lobo:...when I was getting the links together and trying to find a length that worked, compression would clock the front axel back and almost bind the drive shaft until I found the right length for the links in combo with the shock position I wanted. Then would the servo clear the chassis ?....NO
so I augered out the chassis to clear the servo horn then it worked. I mean a 1/4" difference in length would be disasterous. I had to walk away many times, was very frustrating. But then I found the right length/combo ...and it was a beautiful thing. It would compress and squat pretty and no clocking...you'd have thought I won the lotery...

I'm not a fan of wheel weight anymore...rotating mass has snapped a couple of Universals on my Wraith. Blue Monkey makes some axel weights for the wraith axel, but they are NOT cheap. I did find some clamp style collars for the TF2 and in searching for those, found some that fit over the end of the wraith axel...been wanting to try that for weight. They weigh about 2 oz a piece. I'll update this thread when I get the chance.

I don't have near the power in the Wreckluse I have in the wraith/basher so it might just be a power-weight thing...maybe I just went over the edge.
AHHHH, now i understand. I had same issue and as yourself had to experiment with different upper and lower link combos. I have about 3 or 4 mm clearance between the servo horn and the chassis.

I gotcha on the wheel weight and im on board with that as well. Just from nitro experience, you want your wheels and tires to be as light as possible in order to accelerate fast. Rotating mass stresses parts. Main reason i've never used the Titus wheels with the weights. unfortunately Ive never tried taping weights to the axle either. It is something to consider to get that stability.

Will keep you posted on the wreckluse remix..er i mean rebuild, lol
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

turned out nice . I did mine with Axial 60s also , thought they looked better then the sxc10 axles .
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I think they are stronger as well...
Thanks Paleblue, post a pic in here if you would...haven't seen that many use the wraith axle...I'd be interested to see what you did. Multiple pics are ok...
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #34
RCC Addict

DUDE!, Im not sure what's going on but i started work on the wreckluse last night and ran into your front servo clearance issue. Its crazy how it cleared before and a change of the shocks threw my setup right out the window.

I didn't notice that i lost three axle screw/nuts and that my upper link mounts were loose. WOW!

I'm trying to figure out how much to rebuild and how much to leave as is. I was looking at your inside setup and im thinking about installing two seats that i have lying around but i want to keep willy as my pilot. currently he doesn't fit with the seats so some modding is required. two seats also requires battery relocation for the lights.

Some of the styrene panels are in need of some TLC if not total replacement.

oh the pain...

Last edited by Lobonyc; 10-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Longer shocks would throw the servo right under the chassis....dremel time
Also check your clocking at full compression...the slightest little change was very destructive for me...I feel your pain my friend, but I'm sure you can get the right combo. If you use a longer shock, you might have to lengthen your links as well.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Longer shocks would throw the servo right under the chassis....dremel time
Also check your clocking at full compression...the slightest little change was very destructive for me...I feel your pain my friend, but I'm sure you can get the right combo. If you use a longer shock, you might have to lengthen your links as well.
I actually shortened the shocks in order to lower COG. Went from 110mm to 90mm. The front servo is now withing the chassis but still keeps hitting the front. I really would hate to dremel the chassis so im going to shorten the links by 5mm. This creates another problem with the MIP drive shaft. The shortened links will result on shaft being totally compressed. Luckily i have a remedy: MIP shortened dig shaft that was reserved for the 2-speed. hopefully this will give me the clearance.

Was contemplating removing the rear steer but i like the 4X4X4. what are your thoughts on just having front steering?

I will keep my eye on the clocking.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

No thoughts really....nice to have rear steer...gives you more maneuverability of course...was a bit much for me to bite off at the time. This Wreck was my first build from scratch really...

You could also cut off some of the MIP shaft...just a thought
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Well Lobo???
How'd it go? Or did you do a Greg and have to walk away ?
Post up some pics....
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
No thoughts really....nice to have rear steer...gives you more maneuverability of course...was a bit much for me to bite off at the time. This Wreck was my first build from scratch really...

You could also cut off some of the MIP shaft...just a thought
I can say i love 4x4x4 especially being that our rigs have no differentials. I had intention of making wreckluse rear steer after trying it on my AX10. Beats having to do a "back & forth maneuver" 5 times to go around a corner in the apt, lol. I thought of cutting the MIP but it would be too much trouble being that i have to short version.

Quote:
Well Lobo???
How'd it go? Or did you do a Greg and have to walk away ?
Post up some pics....
Well i'm kinda in a dilemma right about now. I replaced the shocks from 110mm to 90mm...not good. The tires were rubbing to much even though i switched from 2.2 to 1.9. The only thing that cleared were a set of crazy krawlers 4". I refuse to use them...Them tiny wheels make my wreckluse look like this...

Arctic Cat Wildcat Rock Crawling with Rally on the Rocks! - YouTube

Im slapping on some 1.9 Iroks at 4.65". The gmade shocks i had in the beginning were like 115 to 120mm, so going to 110mm was an improvement.

I did do some upgrades. Axial universals were installed upfront (the backs will be done either tonight or sometime this week depending on the wife, lol). The width of the rig was extended by about 5 to 10 mm using the hexes from the Predator tracks instead of the axial narrow hexes. not a major deal but it helps.

After that, yes i did do the "Greg". But only because i did the "Alex" a few minutes before.

The "Alex" is having parts in your hand and then having them suddenly disappear. This usually happens when the wife calls for something. I stop what im doing to attend to her and the gremlins come and swipe my parts.

Its like someone up there said "you have to stop working on the wreckluse!", lololol.

I took some pics...will post tonight after work.

take care my friend
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Oh Man...I've done the "Alex" so many times...put down a tool...and more times than not...I cannot find it again for the life of me. I then do the "Mimi" (wife's name) and turn around three times (she can't find her way out of the driveway without her GPS) and sure enough put my eyes on the missing part within 5 sec after the dizziness stops

more later my friend...gotta go to a meeting...

Clanker's Wreckluse - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just got a wreckluse and need help pontiacfreak Electronics 7 11-24-2009 10:10 AM