Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Looneybins southern buggy "BuckWild"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Paint dhowed a few spots that i need to hit with the dremel and sand paper. Then im going to shoot it again and clear coat it. Panels will have black and pink striping with bare aluminum

Sent from my Droid RAZR
somewhere in the sticks
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Looneybins southern buggy "BuckWild"

Any tips for keeping the tube from twisting while bending ? Started bending mine up and noticed I had a twist going on.

Last edited by Ricochet; 01-14-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #83
RCC Addict

There isnt one. After making hundreds of bends you just figure out how to tweek them back straight. Its little by little bud. It will take some practice to get the feel for it. Measure twice. This i about my 10 chassis and i did not rush it. I actually bent up and brazed the main body twice. First attempt was too big and scale was out of wack. Its all trial and error. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Ok, Thanks. I'm kinda doing your build but I'm sure there will be differences. Got to do a little more tweeking on what I've bent up so far to get them to match but they are pretty close.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin View Post
Thanks bulldog. I was unsure on the panels myself but they worked out. I wish i would have brazed a nut uo near the front shock hoop just in case i wanted to bring the panel up further. Yea the pink was all my little girl. She loves crawling all over the buggy while im working in it in the living room and drooling on the tires, and i had the paint so i figured why not. Its easy to change if it gets old. Hopefully i can bring it to a close soon. Im bad about the long term builds too. What motor esc combo did you go with

Sent from my Droid RAZR
somewhere in the sticks
Great pics! I'm running a tekin pro 35t with a little 3s. I only want scale speed, so it works. The esc is a holmes hobbies brxl non waterproofed. Works great, super smooth. Very happy with it.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

What did you use for your shock mounts ?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Looks very good! Nice work.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Shock mounts look like flat plate?
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Yea they are 18ga steel i think. I used a dremel cutoff wheel to cut a slit in the tube for the steel to set in before i brazed it. That and the arched shape of the brazing makes them very strong.

Sent from my Droid RAZR
somewhere in the sticks
Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Yo looney, delete some PMs so i can reply to your message. says your inbox is full......
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Small update. Been trying to get some good shocks and find time to make some body panels. In the meantime i busted out a dash. Not sure if its done but its a good start. I need to mount the seats still. What a pita to try and get a good picture of.....too many tubes and too small a cockpit. Plan to add lights and some toggle switch/shifter

Sent from my Droid RAZR
somewhere in the sticks
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #92
RCC Addict

And why i need shocks.....way too much travel...

Sent from my Droid RAZR
somewhere in the sticks
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Fun working in that little space isn't it! The aluminum dash is pretty cool and the seats look great in there. You're making me want to go out and drive my buggy! You definitely have to work on the shock situation, that thing will drive like a forkfull of linguine! Love this rig! You're doing a great job! keep it up!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

I forget who used to have the signature "is 180 degrees of articulation too much?" You can shorten/limit these, but this nice of a build needs the correct shock.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #95
RCC Addict

I was going to order some kings or gmade coilovers. At ride height now the shocks are bottomed out. It will get good shocks no doubt.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #96
RCC Addict

This buggy has the best lines and just has the right "look". The proportions are bang on! Incredible build
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was going to order some kings or gmade coilovers. At ride height now the shocks are bottomed out. It will get good shocks no doubt.
Do some research on them. I know the rc4wd scale shocks on mine are lousy when you try to run them with oil and the o rings (I don't, so they work fine for me just sprung). I don't know if the kings have the same issues. The gmades are really nice, but they're really big. Again, search around and see what guys have said. I typically google whatever and then type in rccrawler. It's a lot easier than using the bs search function on the forum. Hope that helps

Did it for you...you'll have to do the king search!
☆ Junfac/Gmade XD Piggyback shock review ☆

Last edited by Bulldog; 01-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Thanks bud. Yea i read that article and a couple on the kings. The gmades are big but they work well, however they are being difficult to locate right now. Had a line on a set but i havent heard back yet. The kings are supposed to be much smoother and improved but not many run oil in them for dampening, plus they are high $$$. Still not sure. Resivoirs are cool but i dont need them. Probably just going to order regular gmades.

But looks like i will be dropping the running gear and starting a new buggy for someone. Look for new build thread this week.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks bud. Yea i read that article and a couple on the kings. The gmades are big but they work well, however they are being difficult to locate right now. Had a line on a set but i havent heard back yet. The kings are supposed to be much smoother and improved but not many run oil in them for dampening, plus they are high $$$. Still not sure. Resivoirs are cool but i dont need them. Probably just going to order regular gmades.

But looks like i will be dropping the running gear and starting a new buggy for someone. Look for new build thread this week.
Hey! There you go! I saw your thread on the buggy ideas and was too lazy to post, actually it got me thinking about a new project myself! Then I slapped myself and said "you can't do this again!" I've got a buggy that's done and three unfinished projects. I need to focus! Post up on the new build! And we're expecting a finish to this one complete with pretty pictures and some killer video!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Scored a set of gmade resevior shocks. Yea someonebcontacted me about building another buggy so i threw out a number. Hoping to start tonight. It will be funding more goodies for this buggy.

Looneybins southern buggy "BuckWild" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM CarterFab Axial Wraith 489 08-08-2014 06:22 PM
Rebuild of "90 Proof" Southern Buggy TheManCave 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 10-18-2012 09:19 PM
mg200 southern buggy build "HEADCASE" ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 187 03-04-2012 06:35 PM