Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scx-wraith morphodite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Scx-wraith morphodite

So I scored big on a parts lot of brand new stuff and decided rather than using pieces here and there I'd build the TTC rig I'd been thinking of.

What I ended up with is a set of wraith axles loaded with all of vp's goodies other than housings those are stock. The front has a felsenfest spool with od gears and the rear has a felsenfest spool, under drives and one piece 5mm titanium shaft. The trans is loaded with Robinson's steel gears with a hd motor plate.

I started fingering the suspension out, while it will probably work chances are its going to get completely changed later. I put it together with basically a wristed radius arm setup in the front and a 3 link with panhard out back.

It's sitting at a 12 1/2" wheelbase with 2 3/4" ground clearance. I need to mount the sx's on the mayhem wheels that also came in the parts lot and then figure out what body I'll be running. I've always more or less made do with decent parts but I think these parts are going to force me to raise the bar for myself and this will get all top shelf stuff.

I'm going to mount the steering servo to the chassis, thinking I'll finally bite the bullet and order up a hitec 7980. Also trying to con myself into a mmp/pro4 combo on 3s to have a bit of fun.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a great lot of parts u got really diggin the radius arm setup out front

Sent from my iPhone in the shop
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scx-wraith morphodite

I think the radius arm setup will probably stay for now but I can pretty much guarantee the rear 3 link is going away tomorrow when I get home and fire up the welder to make upper link mounts and shock mounts on the frame.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So the radius arm idea got dumped for a standard 3 link with panhard. I also swapped the machined aluminum links out for some straight links and used a titanium maxx tie rod for the upper link so caster/driveline angle is easily adjustable. Started figuring out the steering servo too. Roughed in some alloy servo mounts to the factory plastic nose piece and the desigh will work but I think I'll turn the servo 90* so I can run a winch servo next to it.

Dumped the craptastic rear suspension leaving only the lowers as is although they'll be getting swapped out for longer links to add about an inch of wheelbase. Went to straight uppers and now it cycles a whole lot better than before. Also picked up a factory shock/body mount set since I didn't have the rear pair.

I put an old set of losi style threaded shocks on with losi white front springs and traxxas pink dual rates out back. I need to swap them out for my big bores with the cap mod but I ran out of give a rip for the evening.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Swapped the revo ends for jato and tweaked a few things so now I'm sitting at 13 1/2" wheelbase. Changed the front two shocks to axial alloys and the rear to cap modded big bores and I think I'll leave them mismatched like that since it works. Extended the front out a bit as well so now the front driveline angle doesn't suck. Cut and extended the rear till the new longer mip bone comes it. Also went to dual triangulated rear links so everything clears fabulously.

Finally mounted the alloy wheels. I'll run these sx's till the foam pops out so I don't have to dick with all those stupid screws again!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Found a bit of time to tinker today.

Carefully milled down the top of the housing and made some crude pieces for proof of concept. It works fanfawkingtastic.

I had to put a few degrees in the ti panhard at the axle for link/servo mount clearance on compression but other than that and the housing clearancing its a bolt in affair.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Nice start so far . You may want to drop the pan hard on the frame till its close to being level with the axle . The way it is right now it will swing to the driver side a fair bit when the passenger tire drops .I was going to say it will give you horrible bump steer but you have servo on axle
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Great start!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
Nice start so far . You may want to drop the pan hard on the frame till its close to being level with the axle . The way it is right now it will swing to the driver side a fair bit when the passenger tire drops .I was going to say it will give you horrible bump steer but you have servo on axle
Agreed. With the angle on the panhard I get about 1/4" axle swing. The final version will put the chassis end of the panhard a ways outside the frame so it will clear the diff on compression and be mounted lower. The panhard will look like the st louis arch but the angles will be better for it and that's what matters.

This axle housing is going to end up in another rig so I'm not overly worried about the servo on the axle being non scale etc. I'm working on the panhard because I'll be going back to a chassis mounted servo before this one is done. I guess I just got ahead of myself when the idea to hillbilly mill the top of the axle tube hit me.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I whipped up a battery tray and an electronics tray and put the MM/1410 combo in it and went for a shakedown run in the yard. Seems to work so far, it certainly jumps well.

As much ad I like these wheels I'll be needing to swap them for something with much different backspacing if I'm to have ane semblance of scale.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Woops!

Luckily the one unbroken XR universal shaft I had from the ax/xr setup that was in another rig slid right into place so I can still beat on this rig.

Been tinkering with the truck a bit here and there since the last update. Nothing major just switched the links and swapped to a normal truss on the rear axle. Swapped the trans out so the dig I never used isn't hanging off of it anymore.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Be careful with that axial universal, the tangs are shorter and will strip your locker.
captainp243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The axle was a shortened xr shaft that I had to shorten just a bit more to bottom into the VP clamping locker. It's nice and solid.

Scx-wraith morphodite - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX!0 Wraith Quartermaster Axial Wraith 10 04-02-2012 11:09 PM