Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Never ending 6x6 project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Never ending 6x6 project

A couple pics and a little info on my 6x6 transport scaler unit. I started building this a few years ago, probably 5, and it has been one of my pride and joy projects ever since.

Running Gear:
It uses 3 AX10 axles and an AX10 trans. The trans was modified with steel outdrives but is other wise stock. For running gear it has a waterproof XL5 and a Titan 12T, and a traxxas 2075 servo all run by a small 2000mah 7.4v lipo. It is functional 6 wheel drive with all locked axles, so it doesn't turn for crap unless it has no load on it. If I put one of the trailers behind it, you might as well forget trying to make any sharp corners. For wheels I have an old set of HPI 5 spokes wrapped in Imex Swamp dawg tires.

Suspension:
The chassis is aluminum I cut out on a band saw. The hitch is made from steel welded together with a ball stud on the back. Links are all made by hand with 10-32 rod and traxxas ends then sleeved the rod with aluminum. The shocks are duratrax aluminum shocks setup for droop with pen springs.

Extras:
I used a light set from a losi desert truck to put head lights and tail lights on it. I made a winch on the front from a 2056 traxxas servo, plenty strong to do anything but, mostly it is just used to raise and lower the stainless plow I made for the front. The plow is curved stainless with a ½” wear strip mild steel on the bottom. Lower mounts are made from ½” flat steel uppers are made the same as on the rest of the truck. The wood bed is all beech epoxied together with aluminum C-Channel Front and rear. On each corner of the bed I put small eye screws to use as tie downs. On the front of the bed is a TSC toolbox gift card holder, this holds my tie down chains and a few other odds and ends. For the power tilt option, I made my own lift cylinder that is servo driven so it can operate from the control and the servo is a 200ozin servo metal geared so it can lift quite a bit, but I am not sure how much I would want to try.

The most recent mods too it are I put on the power wagon body instead of the ’34 ford. Big improvement I think, made a little visor on the front and have been getting things around to attempt to build an interior. Also in the works for the body are yellow cab clearance lights, and close up the back, and if possible, I want to build something for saddle tanks. I have been thinking about making the hood open and have a scale engine, but that would be a lot of work… The other most recent mod was that I built the servo mount plate in the frame to hold the winch and steering servo.

Plowing snow
2012-12-29_15-51-20_110_zpsb11a6d42.mp4 Video by RumbleWagon | Photobucket

Working Tilt Bed
VID_20130320_214436_795_zps31dc91d9.mp4 Video by RumbleWagon | Photobucket
Neverdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Never ending 6x6 project

Working on this again for a little bit...... Just put in my FS-GT3B hacked for 8 channels, but can only fit a six channel receiver in my box..... Anyhow, I also put in a R2 2speed trans just need to set up the linkage, will do that this weekend. With that radio in it I can now drive the dump bed, shift gears, winch, and run my lights without ever touching the truck!!! Next up I think she needs a new front bumper..... something more suiting to the scale. Needs a fairlead in it and a little tougher looking.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

this thing is pretty cool.

I have to admit, I wished the snow plowing video was longer.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

nice rig..but i like The bootlegger better outstanding wood work looks killer. Drail
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

talking about my boat??? Where did you see a pic of that at??
Old 09-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well farted around with this last night. Hooked up the 2speed linkage and man does this baby cook now!!! Kind of funny really!!! Also fixed the lift cylinder yet again!!! It should be virtually indestructible now! Hopefully do some soldering tonight and get the lights back up and running. Also want to dress up the wires a bit and need to find a new spot to put my receiver box so I can start on building an interior.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

awesome truck!
the snow-plowing vid is definitely cool to watch

great work!
crawlerpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

She's a neat little monster!! Every year it gets a little different