Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tacoma Ultra4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tacoma Ultra4

Looks killer - Where did you get the lower control arms and shock mounts?
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone age View Post
Tube joints fish-mouthed and fitting tightly, ready to braze

There is nearly 18 ft of brake line in the space frame now, still feels pretty light though, one more session of cutting and brazing (then a good scrub) should see it done.

test fitted the shock set up too, all good.

the alu 'L' section will give me plenty of geometry options as I want lots of control over how the suspension behaves

[URL=http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/stone_age84/media/temporary_zps1332ba1f.jpg.html]

Bolting things together at the end of the day with a celebratory glass of beer

New wheels next.
These pics tell me I need to tighten up my fishmouthing technique because I don't usually get compound joints that close, I usually end up a few degrees off with the file and have to fill a small gap, not to mention the way your tubes are staying staying in place before brazing. Nice work

What are you using to do yours? I use a nice little round machine file about 3/16 in diameter in most cases, I also start tricky ones with a triangle shaped file then to round, of course I also have the small set of miniature files from HF. I also drilled the tubing with a 3/16 bit where I needed it cut killing 2 birds with one operation.

Are those TSS Robby Gordon Wheels? Very nice

Last edited by rockhugger; 07-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Rockhugger, Glad you like the work man

I just use a Stihl 3/16 chainsaw file, a hobby vice and a hacksaw (400 wet and dry paper to finish). your method sounds more involved than mine, and by involved i mean smarter ha, I will typically cut tubes at the rough angle I need and leave maybe 2-3mm excess (eyeballing everything) vice and file it by hand, the compound joints take longer as I'm allergic to measuring anything I'm constantly offering up the tube to check alignment and adjusting when needed, just got to take your time I guess.

Yeah they are TSS wheels, super nice fitment. I've donated them to my brother but temporarily used them for the mock up
Stone age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Looks killer - Where did you get the lower control arms and shock mounts?
They are made by GPM, think they call them 'buggy links', the mounts are aftermarket TLT suspension stays. They're discontinued now but you might get lucky
Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

That is some great tube work man

I love the look of this thing
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Amazing tube work! I've been messing around with my first brazed frame so I can really appreciate the talent and expertise required to build something so great. Inspiration to all us hacks!
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Looks awesome man. Subscribed
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #28
~THE SCALE SHOP~

love the custom touch on the RG wheels. is that paint or powder coat?

and your joints are amazing.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

The joints look great. It brings back memories and headaches from my southern buggy. Keep it rolling, it's looking great.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

really nice work on the Robby Gs Stang Killa, I have a lot of time for anything so faithfully scaled down. Its been said before but I'll say it again, they are awesome. The rings were just tamiya rattle canned btw. And thanks for the compliments.

A break now and some head scratching as I mentally package the chassis mounted servo and panhard

Last edited by Stone age; 07-16-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Looks great man ! Keep it coming !
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

You got us on the edge of our seats! How bout some updated pics?
rgf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Default Question!

Ok I have a question for you guys:

I'm planning a chassis mounted steering servo up front. Assuming a parallel panhard bar AND steering linkage; Does the orientation of the servo matter?? (laid horizontal i.e. most common OR upside down vertical and to the left)

And when I say "does it matter" i'm talking in terms of bump steer/ max throw etc. I searched and didnt find my answer.

Ive built dissimilar rigs with both but I'm looking to optimise this one at every opportunity.

Input will be appreciated
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #34
RCC Addict

i would say that the longer you can make the links the better your articulation would be. particularly with straight up/down travel, the longer the panhard the less of an arc you will get when the axle travels. i try and put the servo as far away from the opposite side as is possible.

edit: orientation shouldnt matter as long as it doesnt interfere with anything when it swivels, but in saying this, most people seem to mount it upside down, rather than on its side.
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I'd second what Klampy said. The lower the whole setup and the more horizontal the links are, the less ill effects of axle "Float" side to side. Long as possible is better too. The tricky part is getting sufficient travel without bottoming out. The setup I'm using on my new rig is using the VP geometry of the wraith CMS setup. Here is a link to how it works on the wraith.

Vanquish Products CMS and Panhard kit review for the Axial Wraith - YouTube

Here is How I modded it for my chassis.

The benefit is that the drag link only goes from left to right and stays in the same plane as the axle. Also, this way, the servo horn stays out of the way of the panhard bar. I've tested it and had great success with both clearance and zero bump steer. I will say though this is setup for wraith axles and the vp cms/panhard geometry. If you alter the axles, this setup may not work for you. That's all I've got!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

I personally like to have the servo on the same side of the driver for scale apperance. You want the panhard bar (chassis to axle) and drag link (servo to knuckle) to be the same length and at the same angle. Both of these rods operate on an arc and bump steer results if they don't move the same.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the brains fellas, very helpful.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #38
WOOPOOW!!

Man... This thing is looking awesome! Just as I expected from such a skilled builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
You want the panhard bar (chassis to axle) and drag link (servo to knuckle) to be the same length and at the same angle. Both of these rods operate on an arc and bump steer results if they don't move the same.
This is key right here. I have seen what happens when this isnt correct on a real rig. Its pretty funny! steering gear box gets ripped off the frame rail when trying to steer away from the flex Keep up the good work!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

So this weekend was a productive one. The font end was re build to accomodate the drag link and panhard. The solution is pretty severe, very 'function over form' but I love that. There are Trophy truck levels of suspension travel and the Rig is pretty squat at full bump so the assymetrical design allows the drag and panhard plenty of room

chassis just need some more tabs for the servo and electrics

Just realised I've not taken any shots with the steering/panhard connected. I'm still designing a Delrin mount for the axle/panhard stay

Rear end will be complete once the tyre carrier is brazed on

Bump and droop

And finally the beautiful (if heavy) EZ LOC's Im running them with the narrow offset I dont want this rig to resemble an e-maxx afterall and this way round they remind me of the Ivan Stewart baja tundra rims

Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #40
RCC Addict

nice work, this is looking great!!! I'm loving the bump & droop pics. oh and I think those shock tower are super clean, bravo
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tacoma Ultra4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...IFS Ultra4... mojave450rider 2.2 Scale Rigs 166 11-08-2013 06:15 PM
Ultra4 EXO fletch Non Crawler RC's 5 06-09-2013 10:24 AM
Ultra4 style buggy JasonM 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 10-24-2011 12:20 AM