Rock Crawler

Default Re: Bulldog/Mattzilla "Mountain Buggy"

One of my fav jeeps now so clean
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Little update. So again, I didn't want to get overly nutty on scale, but still had to add some details to make this thing sharp.

First, I started on my scale garage. No updates until next week, but testing the lighting setup. The new shop will be about 4 feet square in real life. at this point it is only about 2. And obviously, it's just the walls. paint and details will come.

Started bending up a dashboard out of black ABS. Heat gun and steel to keep it flat.

I have welded tabs on the chassis to hold onto magnets on the back side of the dash. The magnets you see are holding the test piece.

I got a new razor (mach 3) The case looked close enough to a dash for me!

A section of a parts tree looked like a good dash handle.

I had these wheels originally on here and had to pull them off for a customer's rig. I missed them a lot, so I had Patrick (lockedupRC) hook me up with another set complete with all the scale hardware and some baja claws. I've always liked this look, and that's what I'm going to run. If you haven't dealt with Patrick...he's a great guy. The quality of the parts are phenomenal and customer service is EXCELLENT.

This is the part I'm looking forward to. It's the price we pay for scale.

One of the next bits is adding some maddog LEDs to the hood. Still working out the mounting details, but they are really compact and super bright...just like the others I have.

I've got a new set of Velvets on the way from Rick at Supershafty.com. If you haven't dealt with Rick...another Class A vendor. Very helpful and again, a great guy to deal with.
More updates soon. Greg
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #63
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Looks good!

My tip on the m2x1 ...

I have a set of these that I put one of the M2 nuts in:
2 Piece Midget Locking Pliers Set
I use the snub nosed one and put the nut in the end parallel to the side of the pliers.

I take every screw and thread it into the nut first. Every one. The nut will really clean up the threads on the screws that tend to get flattened by the lathe cutting process. I thread it in, make it nice and snug, then remove it. They usually go right into the ring without any fuss.

Doing it that way, with all the wheels I have assembled for people, I have a 99% screw success ratio. And yes, the bag of hardware does have extras in case you get a few bad ones.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Looks good!

My tip on the m2x1 ...

I have a set of these that I put one of the M2 nuts in:
2 Piece Midget Locking Pliers Set
I use the snub nosed one and put the nut in the end parallel to the side of the pliers.

I take every screw and thread it into the nut first. Every one. The nut will really clean up the threads on the screws that tend to get flattened by the lathe cutting process. I thread it in, make it nice and snug, then remove it. They usually go right into the ring without any fuss.

Doing it that way, with all the wheels I have assembled for people, I have a 99% screw success ratio. And yes, the bag of hardware does have extras in case you get a few bad ones.
This worked perfectly and wasn't as bad as I thought. And I didn't even drop any screws!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Small update...big upgrade!

So it was time to pull some loose ends together. First I started with some inner fenders. I use some heavy paper as the template and then transfer the template to some ABS sheet and dremel it into place.

Then I added a little shelf to the back of my battery tray. It looks like it's touching the spur cover, but it's not. Rock solid and it'll also get some velcro to hold the pack in place along with the velcro strap

I mounted the Maddog lights on the hood. They'll be out of harm's way in case of a rollover...and are super bright running on a super little 3s battery under the hood.

Then I drilled out the newbright light buckets for axial 5mm leds.

I then sanded the back of them and painted them black.

Another thing I like to do is dab some abs cement on the back of the LED. This stops the light bleed a little from lighting up off the back of the light.

Lit up like Grandma on Bingo night!

The only crapper is that the wiring is hitting the chassis, so the hood can't sit down. Easy fix. I just have to put the hood on and then stuff the LEDs back into the buckets after. Thanks for looking. Updates soon. Greg
Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Those lights are awesome! I love this rig! Keep up with the updates and the pics
Solid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Looking really nice! Great work
SCORPIAN670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Really love this build. What I like the most is the proportions just look right. On some Ultra 4-type or tuber builds the proportions look off to me, especially if the wheelbase is too long. On your build, everything is perfect. Very impressive.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys!

I got a couple quick pics to share. Rick at Supershafty.com hooked the Bulldog up with a full set of Velvets. Installed and ready for testing. They changed the ride height in just the right direction. Rick was great with going through the specs of my rig and recommending the right shock. I'll get some pull back shots later on. Thanks Rick!

I also got the locked up wheels locked up. I'm not going to mount them until I take pretty pics. I loved my first set and had to have another. They mounted up extremely easily. You do have to take your time with the scale hardware, but even with that many screws...not a single issue. And the tires mount up in literally two minutes flat with the six screw design. I opted out of the scale hubs for now. I wasn't wild about cutting my shafts for the pro versions (not knowing how or when my needs would change with various hub thicknesses. I'm using the SLW hubs on these wheels (.225) I think I may just throw some axial hubs on and keep it simple. Thanks Patrick!

Thanks for looking. Greg
Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I posted this in the scale accessories section as well. But to keep this all cohesive I'll put it in here as well.
Hey guys,

Well this has been in the works for the longest time. Finally I had a chance to get going on it. It's not going to be crazy with scale details. There are plenty of guys out there that have over the top talent. I just need something fun for background pictures. I'm trying to keep the budget low and just use stuff laying around and a little creativity to get the results.

I've tried not to stare at the other scale garages so that I come up with my own ideas. Hopefully my subconscious doesn't rip off anyone's build!

On to the pictures.

The walls are in place. Had to build a staircase to the upstairs office.

Gotta have a fridge in the garage.

Storage rack for crap to pile up on.

Office door

Office window

Sand blasting cabinet.

Tool Chest

End of Day one!

I've got a lot of painting to do. Hopefully another update this week. Thanks for looking. Greg
Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Greg, that is just amazing. Love the rig and the garage. Fantastic work.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #72
ULTRA CUSTOM FABRICATION

Damn!! That garage is sick. Nice work sir. Can't wait to see it done.
Wheels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Ok,

Fun Update. Finally started getting to the color layer of the build.

I used construction paper and spray adhesive to get the color on the walls. The blue is black paint sprayed with blue to get that powerhouse electric color I love.

Laying things out.

Son of a B#@$%! I think the adhesive dried too quickly on this sheet. It bubbled really bad. Luckily it pealed off and I put a fresh sheet on it. Hopefully it holds!

I started working on 1:1 logos on the side wall. Scale RC Vendors will go on the back wall hopefully tomorrow.

I had to geek out a scale pallet.

With Scale parts.

On a scale Gooseneck.

I also got my wraps installed on the shop truck.

That's it for today! Maybe some more tomorrow. I'm waiting for a shipment to come in to finish the walls. Thanks for looking. Greg
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

It looks awesome Greg! I like it a lot!
Hwheeler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #75

Just keeps looking better
todd3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Sick work there BullDog. The garage looks great, and I love that Gooseneck. At some point i'm going to build one that will hold my 2 u4rc rigs.

And I don't believe you didn't peek at some other garages
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
Sick work there BullDog. The garage looks great, and I love that Gooseneck. At some point i'm going to build one that will hold my 2 u4rc rigs.

And I don't believe you didn't peek at some other garages
Oh, trust me...I've seen the other Garages and they are untouchable!!! I needed a happy medium. It's ok to be average sometimes!

I basically knew what I wanted and the space I needed and went from there, rather than look at someone's and copy it.

On that front, the whole project has a hit another snag. The paper that I used for the gray painted walls seems to be the culprit, and has completely bubbled off the luan. I'm going to have to redo almost everything. I've got another build that hit the front burner, so no updates any time soon. G
Old 05-26-2014, 01:23 AM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Oh, trust me...I've seen the other Garages and they are untouchable!!! I needed a happy medium. It's ok to be average sometimes!

I basically knew what I wanted and the space I needed and went from there, rather than look at someone's and copy it.

On that front, the whole project has a hit another snag. The paper that I used for the gray painted walls seems to be the culprit, and has completely bubbled off the luan. I'm going to have to redo almost everything. I've got another build that hit the front burner, so no updates any time soon. G
That sucks!....I used wood, don't remember what type but real smooth on one side. I used krylon spray paint and painted the walls and than the green stripe. Than I got a piece of what looked to almost be dry erase board and painted that gray and used it for the floor. My floor is removeable so I can clean it and repaint it if need be.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Yep,

That's the plan for fixing the problem. The only reason I went with paper was that it was a shade of gray I couldn't get in paint. The real crapper was that it was perfect for almost a week and then let go. It's scale building. Nothing ever goes as planned. It's all part of the experience!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #80

Garage turned out good, sucks it went south on yah
todd3601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.2, jeep, mattzilla, tube buggy, wraith

Bulldog/Mattzilla "Mountain Buggy" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
project "HOT SEXY B!TCH" Mattzilla yota truggy nos nut 1.9 Scale Rigs 40 07-16-2013 07:23 AM
My "Swap Meet Louie" Hilux Mattzilla truggy build tech126 2.2 Scale Rigs 12 09-24-2012 02:57 AM
Mountain Goat Rebuild "Toyota Truggy and Dove Nose" txcrawl 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 11-06-2011 09:08 PM
1st Annual "MONSTER METAL MOUNTAIN MAYHEM" crawl 09/19-20/09 cato Colorado 73 09-24-2009 04:36 PM