Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Klampyz F350

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Klampyz F350

Hi peeps. Third time lucky maybe... I have two other threads on this, one when i first got it and wanted to run my 0.07 nitro in it. second when i got my 1/8 MOA crawler. then tried again when i got my wraith...

so here goes. version 4.

1/8 Thunder Tiger EB4 front suspension/diff + center diff.
Custom Wraith (centered) rear axle.
either Kyosho or VRX2 nitro engine 0.21
RC4wd 2.2 steelies and roklox.
amongst other bits n pieces.

i think ive finally found this trucks calling. it will be low-ish, long travel. and FAST.

and rather heavy.

klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Man that's cool can't wait to see more

Sent from my iPhone in the shop
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Klampyz F350

its been through a bit over the past couple years lol.

im currently fighting myself as wether to keep it 4wd or not. i need to change the front suspension, its just not quite right as is, but it wont fit the chassis any other way, unless i sacrifice the front drive and just leave it rear drive...

so 4wd or rwd??

are most trophy trucks rwd or 4wd?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Ive been looking at this, and looking at my nitro buggy that collects dust, then looking at this. and then looking back at my nitro buggy....

so I decided to run with an Axial SCX axle and my 1/10 HSP buggy IFS which seems identical to HPI stuff, so it will also take a matching HD underdrive gear set, which i plan to unlock and leave as an open differential.

going to run it with the 2.2 crushers as originally intended but with Hot Racing 2.2 internal steel beadlocks(reversed).

probably going to aim more towards trophy/baja styling on the mods and see where we end up.

and an older shot of the front end with stuff attached.

and the powerplant. just a little bit bigger than originally intended. :firedevil: ill run it in the engine bay, like its supposed to be, and likely attach it to my Summit 2speed transmission as a transfer case, but pending on actual space available, it might also get a TF2 transfer case in there yet for more reduction again.

also got some other bits that id like to see about implementing from the original plan, like using a micro radiator from a computer watercooling kit to chill the fuel supply, fan forced to keep air over the engine heatsink, winch, lights, etc...

watch this space.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

getting the driveline sorted. front CV shafts are gonna prove interesting. i was going to use the HSP uni shafts, but theyre rather thin, and too regularly spit pins out. so instead, i have a set of SCX10 CV shafts that ill combine with dognbone inner ends and ill run a VP locker with HD underdrive gears inside the alloy housings.

HPI Savage shocks will be run in the rear probably, twin on each side for better damping. run in a trophy truck setup on the links. and i have a set of Gmade XD shocks that im considering for the fronts. they may not be stiff enough tho, and instead i do have a set of buggy shocks /springs ill be able to use instead.

and for some reason RCC was unavailable to me over the past couple days, so i also have this post VVV from tonight, where as ^^ that was a couple nights ago's work.

for now, my attack is getting this machine on its feet,

and tonight i have mostly succeeded. as it turns out, i may actually need to raise the rear shock mount, unfortunately, that means its likely that ill have to cut through the tray.

that leads me to make the choice. do i cut the tray right out of there and go full truggy/trophy, or just make the cut to allow shock towers to sit above the floor. ... opinions???

you can see here where the shocks are fully compressed, yet the side step is still above the top of the tire. and those are not short shocks. HPI savage shocks. lol.

it does flex nicely tho. also, gotta raise the front diff, its sitting a little too low in relation to where the front shocks hold the ride height. id prefer to tuck the diff a little higher, than to lower the upper shock mount for more travel, as i feel like the front is plenty tall enough

the rear is at almost perfect ride height here, it could sit just a little bum down, but the shocks are fully compressed. ill be throwing in a second pair, but i think ill only run the single pair of springs. i like it soft, but not sure if its too soft or not yet. the second pair of shocks may be enough to stiffen it up just enough.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
RCC Addict

i fitted up a shorter shock to see if that helped, and it does, but im still limited on compression. extension travel is great still so im definitely thinking ill make a taller shock mount and then ill refit the Savage shocks up to reclaim my down travel.

compressed at ride height on AX10 shocks>

fully extended with AX10 shocks>

current stance.

and i think i forgot that these actually take up a bit of space.....

its definitely gonna be fun trying to squeeze it all in thats for sure. :P
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

so some stuff happened. and some things.

i stripped my buggy down to leave me with this.

which then enabled me to check this>

so then i mocked some stuff up, put some stickers on the screen, and checking for clearances and likely locations of items.

yes, this is a mini radiator. if my plan works, its to have nitro running through it, firstly to chill the fuel, secondly as its chillin in the rad, the air from the fan will be used to keep the heatsink on the engine cool as well so it should help as a dual purpose cooling device.

here i was just checking to make sure the servo for throttle and brakes would still fit beside the setup.

still have much cleaning up to do. it was late here so after i welded the mounts i didnt grind them down, yet.

engine bay view.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

got to make the servo mount tonight.

this truck is making me very happy with how its all just falling into place. there has to be a snag appear shortly. lol

then the Summit trans happens to fit just nice at the back of the motor plate, and the input sits just above. ill just run a dogbone setup from the stock spur, to the tranny. and also removed the shifting link off it, and ill do something a little different for shifting duties, coz i do want to be able to shift gears.

going to make the engine/trans/front diff all one assembly for maximum strength and rigidity using the purple skid in previous pics^^ to cover the tranny and keep most of the mud n dirt out.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

idk bout those rear links i had a set and threw them away there soooo soft i hope yours dont bend like bananas cause it looks kickass.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
RCC Addict

hmmm fingers crossed then on the links being tough enough then ey. thanks for the comment!! i do like its 'tude very much. :P

just about out of battery on the laptop so ill just drop this here.

looking at truggy-ing it. maybe...

trans mounted.

it looks nasty, but the two halves of the shaft spin about 98% true. pretty pleased with myself there.

tuff

nice to look into wheel wells and see more than a servo/battery setup.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

id truggy it itd look supercool and im fairly sure would be one of few nitro truggys!
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Yeh im liking the idea of truggy. Ive taken the tray off and staring at it.
Might have to change the rear suspension setup to a more truggy like setup.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #13
RCC Addict

just ordered a complete Integy centred wraith rear axle for this rig. As today I made the choice to go full truggy on this rig. so ill be chopping the rear rails, removing the link mounted rear shocks, (HPI savage shocks, leaking terribly!!) and ill be replacing the rear suspension with my HSP 1/8 big bore shocks n matching springs.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
RCC Addict

got some 2.2 treps ordered for this beast today. pretty excited about that to say the least. lol.

in other news, ive found the parts i need to build myself a custom fuel tank. but because of how free i have just made myself with the rear cage area, im almost stumped as where to begin with the design.

plan is to return to a more conventional rear link setup, shocks on the axle, stood nearly upright, leant forwards a tad but, the item that will have me thinking the most will be the exhaust.

being nitro i have a dirty big expansion chamber that absolutely has to be in the system or the thing will grenade itself.

apparently running dual chambers is a no go for something to do with increasing the capacity too much, and mismatching the exhaust pulses. as i was considering dual upright expansion chambers to imitate a twin stack exhaust standing up behind the cab. but thats kinda outta the question apparently (if i want it to run properly)

so, that limits me to having one expansion pipe which really has to go somewhere in the bed area. as there isnt really enough room to run it underneath the trans tunnel but one option is to run the expansion pipe inside the cab, on the top of the trans tunnel, i can at least then cover it up with an interior and vent the trans tunnel to stop it getting too hot, and then i can run a dual stinger style pipe up the back of the cab.

id feel like im cheating by having the expansion chamber inside the cab, but its the packaging im thinking about here.

thoughts?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #15
RCC Addict

just a pic from today with the interior mostly in.

im thinking ill probably run with the muffler inside the cab. it will keep my power curve intact for the motor, and the longer twin stacks will then poke up behind the cab. much tuffness will be had. yes.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Location: norcal.. The real NorCal , like 400 miles north of NorCal

Nice project, I've always thought a nitro scaler would be fun, as far as the components go I think a few years ago sczerba built an hpi based ifs rig and the front diff turns opposite of the axial axles so he had to flip the rear axle upside down... And it ate a sh$t ton of front cvds...
Yotapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotapane View Post
Nice project, I've always thought a nitro scaler would be fun, as far as the components go I think a few years ago sczerba built an hpi based ifs rig and the front diff turns opposite of the axial axles so he had to flip the rear axle upside down... And it ate a sh$t ton of front cvds...
Yep, just flipped the rear ax10 axle.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #18
RCC Addict

thanks guys. ive got an Integy centered wraith axle on the way so as far as drive direction, the scx axle on the rear seems to be running same direction as the front at the moment??

either way, ive stumbled upon 4stroke Nitro engines and am picking up an OS FS40 on thursday to try out. its an aeroplane engine but im hoping that a heli clutch and fan unit will mount up.

im yet to confirm what the engine actually is, but have been led to believe that this is it>

edit: FS-40 Surpass

Last edited by klampykixx; 05-16-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
RCC Addict

ok gents n gals i picked up my motor tonight. shes a bit smaller than i imagined, but its pretty much the same footprint as the 0.21 i have in there at the moment. so its perfect in my opinion. winning

now, ive had issues as normally the car version of this engine would have a clutch fitted to it, and the car crankshaft will actually fit in and drive 100% normal but with a clutch instead of a propeller clamp. so ive been searching all night, scratching my head, torn between modding the crank, fitting a heli clutch, or just something. .. but.

i think i have a solution.

Im using buggy center diff as my main drive out to the summit 2speed, but it is full of JBweld and its solid, which was fine coz i was planning on using the "front and rear" brakes together for more braking power.

but now, it seems i cant run a centrifugal clutch due to the nature of the crankshaft so that renders that setup useless.

however, i have successfully mounted the clutch bell directly to the crank, i just need a way of locating it securely to center it on the shaft, but this now has the issue of being direct drive, and this situation is not good for a scaler.

Now. a Scale Truck. let me think for a moment where are we?? scale 4x4 rc crawler forum right??

what real combustion engine driven truck on the road has a centrifugal clutch? they dont. they have a manual clutch (or auto, but thats not where im going with this )

my theory is this.

ill refit an open differential to the mount i have in the engine bay.
the rear side will be the output to the summit trans as it is right now, and will have its brakes operated as they currently are.
the front side, will become my clutch. ill change the leverage of the cam to make sure im not stressing out my servo to hold the front brakes on (ie, clutch) and there will likely be springs involved, and all sorts to keep stresses down and allow a bit of slip and keep it a bit softer on the driveline.

of course this introduces another issue, but it counteracts another. the 4stroke is slow compared to the 2stroke, and i plan on using a small-ish pinion so overall speed will be quite slow, but if im holding one side of the buggy differential still, and driving the outer gear, the other output will be spinning quite a lot faster than im driving it, so there may be quite a bit of heat involved, ill likely have to use a very light oil to keep it lubricated and stop it from grenading itself. id like to think theres an alloy upgrade for something like a ThunderTiger EB4 differential, but ive not yet looked.

be interesting to see how long the sun gears last under that sort of load too, id like to also think that under appropriate lubrication they would be fine but who knows, perhaps i could run an Axial Exo center diff instead and fit it out with Vanquish alloy housing and heavy duty bevel gears.... negative there is id be shrinking the gears and theyd be more likely to break...

anyway. im sure thats enough spill for tonight, pretty much typed a novel.

ill be back on the build probably tomorrow night, so see what i can come up with for securing this pinion onto the engine and ill be back with pics.!!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Plus, that's a bump start. How are you going to start it? I thought about the airplane engine and decided to bag it. Found this instead - bought for the exact same type of project. Have the flywheel collet and exhaust as well.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Klampyz F350 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Klampyz Wraithokee klampykixx 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 08-31-2013 01:53 AM
Klampyz HSP MOA 1/8 klampykixx Superclass Crawlers 89 04-19-2013 09:02 AM
Klampyz Wraith turned F350 klampykixx 2.2 Scale Rigs 27 03-08-2013 12:54 AM
Klampyz KOH thing... klampykixx 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 07-29-2012 06:15 AM
Klampyz little F truck RIP :( 11/5/12 klampykixx Micro Scale Rigs 45 05-11-2012 04:27 AM