Notices

Thread: BVRC's Chuckworks SRRX Rock Racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: BVRC's Chuckworks SRRX Rock Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrc View Post
Normal scale wheels will not fit on the traxxas slash front end. The knuckles (if they are called that on a slash) are too large.
I have found the VP Method and OMF wheels to work but a little grinding is needed depending upon hub size. I've only mounted a set of methods up and I use a 225 hub to keep it at 11.8-11.9 inches wide. If you grind the pi*s out of the traxxas uprights you can get alot more steering. Lets see if I can get some pics for you.
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

That's good news, as the front wheels was my only apprehension with going to a slash 4x4 front end. Can you post up dims of your vp wheels? Wondering if my current tss Robby Gordon's are similar with 225 hubs
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustenPaines View Post
I have found the VP Method and OMF wheels to work but a little grinding is needed depending upon hub size. I've only mounted a set of methods up and I use a 225 hub to keep it at 11.8-11.9 inches wide. If you grind the pi*s out of the traxxas uprights you can get alot more steering. Lets see if I can get some pics for you.
Yeah, I'd be really nice not to have to cut up tires for this rig. I just tried the axial wheels that I have lying around and nothing fit. Definitely post some pictures if you have a solution.

I'd love to see pictures of your slash steering too. I've noticed this doesn't have the best throw. After watching videos of that last glen helen race, with all those tight turns, I was wondering how this slash front end would do. Definitely interesting in getting more throw out of the steering.
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

trimmed up the body panels... Still have to paint.

I went with the RPM slash 4x4 front bumper, but I only used the lower skid. The RPM kit comes with three parts, lower skid, upper skid and the actual bumper. Again, I only used the lower skid. I think it gives a pretty clean simple look to the front end.
Attached Images

Last edited by bvrc; 01-03-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

For those of you running IFS, would these wheels work? They are both are a 2.2 beadlock. The one on the left is a proline "epic" and the one on the right is a rc4wd "hitman". The inside of the rim is about 2-1/16" but I didn't measure the offset. The website for proline says these won't work with the slash 4x4 but I wonder if they can be made to fit with less cutting than other wheels.

Last edited by spookyseven; 01-03-2014 at 10:44 AM.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Those might work with a little tinkering. It'd be a tight fit. Here's that 2 and 1/16 measured out compared to the aka short course 3in wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by bvrc; 01-03-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Some racey, fast looking body panels.
Attached Images

Last edited by bvrc; 01-03-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Those might work with a little tinkering. It'd be a tight fit. Here's that 2 and 1/16 measured out compared to the aka short course 3in wheels.
I wonder if you were to use the bottom hole for the camber link and the inside hole on the knuckle for steering then trim off the excess for clearance? Or some kinda upgraded setup that's smaller like rpm or gpm aluminum?

Been really looking around for parts after seeing this chassis kit
Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
I wonder if you were to use the bottom hole for the camber link and the inside hole on the knuckle for steering then trim off the excess for clearance? Or some kinda upgraded setup that's smaller like rpm or gpm aluminum?
Yes. I've been thinking this exact thing all day. Using the lower hole and trimming is a good way to larger diameter 2.2s on there (like the one's posted above).

I've already cut and glued these tires so I think I'll run this thing as is for a while.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Been really looking around for parts after seeing this chassis kit
I hope to put together a pretty complete parts list for this rig once I get it all working. For me, the big issue is still the drivetrain. I'm waiting on some MIP parts that will hopefully fit properly.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

I stared at them awhile and it was the best that can be done with stock parts imo. Went looking through my random spare parts and found a C/knuckle and driveshaft set from my old slash 4x4 that I shouldn't have let go. Confirmed that tss Robby Gordon's won't work with the stock hexes, wider hexes will make too much width.

Trying to figure it out will give me something to play with while I'm waiting for the official srrx to come out. Gotta give it up for Mr. Chuckworks though, awesome guy. Wouldn't hesitate to rock his chassis when it's ready. We'll see if it's g6/endurance comp worthy
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I hope to put together a pretty complete parts list for this rig once I get it all working. For me, the big issue is still the drivetrain. I'm waiting on some MIP parts that will hopefully fit properly.
The mips for the slash 4x4 are awesome but I'm thinking you're also talking about trans to front diff. That would be new territory for me, looking forward to what you come up with.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The mips for the slash 4x4 are awesome but I'm thinking you're also talking about trans to front diff. That would be new territory for me, looking forward to what you come up with.
correct. I'm talking about driveshafts between the front slash diff and the axial trans. Also between the the trans and the rear axle. It's new territory for me as well.

I could care less about the front driveshafts. Unless I start breaking them constantly, I'll just run the normal traxxas front driveshafts.

I hope that the longer mip revo shaft (should be here any day now) will be the proper length for the rear. Problem solved there...

But I am still trying to figure out what's needed, or rather what's best to fit between the front dif and the trans. Here's the low down, forgive me if some of the terminology is wrong here... The traxxas front diff has a 6mm output shaft. The axial trans has a 5mm output shaft. On this chassis these two shafts are directly in line with each other. The traxxas steering unit is just behind the diff where the output shaft is. The steering unit is too narrow for MIP parts. It's made to have the traxxas direct center drive shaft or whatever they call it fit within the steering components. I did drill out a vaterra twin hammers drive shaft, but I didn't do the greatest job of drilling it out and now it fits too loose on the 6mm traxxas output shaft. The vaterra shaft is a bit too long anyway. I was going to have to shorten it... So I'm still left trying to find the right part here.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Would a wraith mip hub work drilled to 6mm?

Yeah I remember how tight that area is between the bell cranks.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

nope, it wouldn't work there's not enough room between the bell cranks. I'm pretty sure no MIP part will fit between them. At least not from what I can tell from MIP's website. If an MIP part was able to fit between the bell cranks, drilling wouldn't be necessary because they make a 6mm drive hub.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #56
Gettin’ back on the horse

I built this rig (with R2J doing the tube work) in 2010 that was based on the Slash 4x4. Different tranny, but same problem at first with the driveshaft and then the steering.

I used MIPs. In these photos you can see the MIP in front a little bit. Steering never worked on this rig though. But it wasn't because of the location it was all the stupid bell cranks. This was built though right when the Slash 4x4 was first released so maybe there are some options available to fix the steering...

Anyway maybe these photos will help.

I will look around and see if I can find anymore photos if you want.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Body panels bolted up.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
correct. I'm talking about driveshafts between the front slash diff and the axial trans. Also between the the trans and the rear axle. It's new territory for me as well.

I could care less about the front driveshafts. Unless I start breaking them constantly, I'll just run the normal traxxas front driveshafts.

I hope that the longer mip revo shaft (should be here any day now) will be the proper length for the rear. Problem solved there...

But I am still trying to figure out what's needed, or rather what's best to fit between the front dif and the trans. Here's the low down, forgive me if some of the terminology is wrong here... The traxxas front diff has a 6mm output shaft. The axial trans has a 5mm output shaft. On this chassis these two shafts are directly in line with each other. The traxxas steering unit is just behind the diff where the output shaft is. The steering unit is too narrow for MIP parts. It's made to have the traxxas direct center drive shaft or whatever they call it fit within the steering components. I did drill out a vaterra twin hammers drive shaft, but I didn't do the greatest job of drilling it out and now it fits too loose on the 6mm traxxas output shaft. The vaterra shaft is a bit too long anyway. I was going to have to shorten it... So I'm still left trying to find the right part here.
Can you take a picture?

Both my rigs run a different front drive lines. One uses revo MIP ends on the slash side and the other uses a Revo dogbones and cup with chopped and welded dogbone. It's sorta an original so it's been left. My cell took a swan dive Thursday. Hoping to get a new one and get some pics up soon.
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustenPaines View Post
Can you take a picture?

Both my rigs run a different front drive lines. One uses revo MIP ends on the slash side and the other uses a Revo dogbones and cup with chopped and welded dogbone. It's sorta an original so it's been left. My cell took a swan dive Thursday. Hoping to get a new one and get some pics up soon.
Yeah, I can take a detailed picture... heading out the door now though, maybe later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

I can't believe I missed this build thread til now. Good work. You have to bring this thing to the next rally race. How much was the kit?
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote

BVRC's Chuckworks SRRX Rock Racer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BVRC's CRC XV-01 bvrc Rally 218 06-21-2021 10:31 AM
bvrc's wraith story bvrc Axial Wraith 9 09-05-2013 10:33 AM
Chuckworks RC slash chassis keith179150 Non Crawler RC's 4 09-07-2012 01:40 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM