Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Stealth bomber the Class 3 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

They are terrible. Haha one is 5mm shorter than the rest. If the compression force is off center it causes the shaft to deflect and bind slightly. I'm glad I didn't spend much on them. The fact that they don't have oil is sweet an they work just not up o my standards.
RockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Stealth bomber the Class 3 build

To clarify,
I should have said Harley "Frame" as in 1:1 motorcycle. And Harley (Josh) gets his sh$t for free!

Rock on with the rattle cans. The rocks won't care.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Bahahahaha "what we have here is a failure to communicate." I'm going to shop around at a couple actual shops and see how much they are going to charge me.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

I honestly haven't ever got my tube chassis powder coated for the fact I didn't want to pay a good amount just to have it beat on the rocks. I know it would hold up better but I still opted for rattle can on mine. I used Rustoleum kitchen appliance paint, it's an epoxy paint and doesn't require primer either. I've used it on 3 chassis now and It's held up really well. Only down side is they only have like 3 color options, white, black, stainless.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Default Stealth bomber the Class 3 build

I put my MMP/Novak 13.5ss combo in it with my 7980th up front an my A6030 in the rear. It performed great! The shocks were the biggest issue as well as the cvd for the rear axle was hitting rocks. All in all I'm happy with it, minor tweaks and it'll be all good!!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Current setup 8.5lbs!

Only have 100 mm shocks in it as of right now

Front servo clearance
Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Put the rock beast 2s on and and had a play day

Then I stripped it and made some panels

Then I made some mounting tabs and transferred he holes over

So after I was done I blasted them with some self etching primer and some black and lime green!!

Scale comp tomorrow at 8am. It's 1:39 now, and I have to assemble it still. Haha. Had a busy ass day
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Had "fun" at the comp yesterday. It was the first of the year and it was cold, freezing rain, hail, and snow. We were hoping the weatherman would be wrong as usual. Unfortunately he was right and we suffered. I couldn't get a good feel for the rig yesterday. It was sort of cogging and it usually doesn't since it's sensored. I think the water and humidity was effecting it. I didn't do well in the comp because I managed to spin the nut off the input shaft when I was reversing. But I ran half the course rather quick. It needs some hex extensions or ar60 axles because she's a bit skinny. This is the only pic I have from yesterday.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Found another pic from when we went trailing after the comp. It was all ice. Rockbeasts are not ice beasts. Haha
Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

New wheels and spacers!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Tried out the new Holmes Hobbies trail master 13.5 turn BL motor I got last night. It does exceedingly well for its heavy weight and the wheel spacers helped keep her rubber side down while staying around 11" wide. It's a joy to drive!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Default Stealth bomber the Class 3 build

So this past weekend I volunteered my property to my local crawling group to do a TTC (Top Truck Challenge). I have 2.5 acres, ½ of an acre being a steep hill covered in natural lava rock. We had 7 courses in mind for the event, tank trap, obstacle course, mini rubicon, hill climb, sled pull, frame twister, and mud pit. We dedicated 3 solid days and a few nights after work to get all the work for the courses done. After completing the courses we decided that we should combine the frame twister and the mud pit and that we should also run them last so no one would fry their electronics on the first leg of the courses. I’d never been to an RC TTC before so we did our best to set up scale obstacles that everyone could do.

We had an 11am start time but most were there 30 min early or so. We started with a course tour and sticker give away. Since I have my own vinyl cutter I can make group stickers and stuff at cost. The day of the event it was windy and being on top of the hill only made things worse. The windy had messed with my sprinkler all night and hadn’t really watered the mud pit and frame twister like I had wanted, but then again it was our first event. We had 14 competitors for the event day, but had 1 MOA rig that just competed for fun. We had a few trucks on 1.9s and they even completed the courses.

We started with the tank trap and things went well, people got hung up on the obstacles that we thought they would, and the course held up well for being soft. I was cut into the side of a hill face and we added some extra rock everywhere for more of a challenge.

Next up was the obstacle course, it was a LONG course but was completed in 1:00 min flat for the best time. It featured a mixture of hill climbs, descents, holes, and rocks.

The Mini Rubicon followed and featured a 12” wide I-beam, and LOTS of shale rock to traverse.

The hill climb was not really about hills but more about speed since we wanted everyone to compete and have a chance at completing all the courses.

The sled pull was FUN, we built our own sled for the comp and it worked like a charm until I broke it on the second to the last run. Haha

The mud pit/ frame twister was one of the most challenging events and the only one to feature water. I had just cut down a 14YO cherry tree, so I used the logs from that to build the frame twister. The mud pit was pretty straight forward but it was fun. The mud was too heavy for all the light trucks so it didn’t really fly unless you had lots of power.

All in all it was a great day of competition, everyone went home happy and not broken. Plus I’m pretty sure they all want another TTC to be hosted at my place!

Last edited by RockChuck; 03-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Put her back together for the next group event! I love this thing!!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Had a TTC again last weekend here's the pictures I my beast. I took 4th overall

Tank trap

Mud pit/ frame twister

Hang time

Obstacle course
Old 06-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I actually used the rear steer, I frickin suck at it. Haha
Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Wraith axles?!! Yay or nay?!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Back to scx axles, but new rubber and foams, loving these bad boys!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Changed up the link mounts and upper links to try to get the buggy to hug the rocks better. Moved the front axle forward 1/2" and changed the rear pinion angle.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Had a Comp last Sunday, took 4th in class 3, haven't comp'd this buggy for over a year, I was excited!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Lots of new changes for the buggy! Stretched the wheel base, starting a redesign on the chassis and got some new woooopow!

Stealth bomber the Class 3 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project SR-71: A Stealth R1 Build derb G-Made Crawlers 84 12-12-2013 09:51 AM
My Stealth SW3 Build juststartin HPI Wheely King 26 02-09-2008 02:51 PM
Junfac Stealth R-1 build up jpfrk Tamiya Clod Buster 34 05-18-2006 09:47 PM
Stealth tranny prototype chassis build skipstr71 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 89 03-22-2006 09:40 AM