Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Big Red TTC, my 1:1 replica...sort of

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Big Red TTC, my 1:1 replica...sort of

Have two weeks to get this done so I thought I had better get started today.

When Proline came out with the 66 Ford body I knew it was finally time to build the scale version of my 1:1.

A little history of this truck. When I was about 8 my dad bought this from the original owner, his best friends dad. He and his buddy drove and wheeled this thing way back in the day, even rolled it. It had the entire cab replaced, not sure what the year was but must of been in the 70s. When I was about 20 I bought it and drove it for a couple years before deciding to build it into a top truck challenge rig. It took me about 6 years to complete. At the time I started it hydraulic steering was something that had just started to be seen on the trails. Back then I lived and breathed this truck. I think it was the only tube chassis, full oem cab rig around, that I had seen anyway. By the time I got into TTC in 06 tube chassis and hydraulic steering were the norm pretty much. Things have progressed so fast in offroad its unbelievable.

Here are a bunch of pics to give you the basic idea. Building around wraith axles and a 14" wheelbase the look will change a bit as you will see in my next post.

sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Big Red TTC, my 1:1 replica...sort of

So now on to the little one. I had plans on making this a super high powered T8 on 6S truck to mimic the 1:1 but thought better of it. The axial RPs just wouldn't hold up for long with how I drive....hard and often.

So here is a run down of the pile of parts that will be going into this:

Axles--Vanquish alum housing AR60s. Over and under gears. Front end gets SDS super 300 hd shafts and locker. The rear gets a 5mm 1 piece titanium shaft with an aluminum set screw type locker, love this set up! Also up front are the new RC4WD chubs and knuckles, they are similar to the ones in my 1:1. Steering is taken care of by the Hitec 7980 on 7.4volts. Trusses are custom built by me.

Tranny--Ax10 with Robinson steel gears and Crawler inovations outputs. Power is fed through MIP drive lines.

Power-- Tekin 3300 KV pro4 and Tekin Rx8 esc.

Chassis--.035 3/16 seamless steel tube, welded. Have a bunch of Carter Fab tabs in this too, love em! Skid is an axial wraith.

Links and Shocks--Links are a mix of 1/4 and 3/16 titanium and the rear lowers are Blue monkey aluminum. Shocks are traxxas big bores with cap mod and Dlux bent rod ends and adjustable preload cups.

Tires and wheels--Tires are cut and shaved TSL swampers wrapped around the sweetness of Vanquish OMF beadlock wheels....even though I am not fan of OMF in the real world. Foams are Crawler Inovations 5.5 double deuce comp cut with med/firm outers

Misc--Hitec 5954 servo for winch with Locked up winch spool powered by castle sidewinder micro esc on 3S. Castle bec for steering servo. Futaba 4pl tx/rx. Max amps 1300mah 3S lipos and 4S lipo for Mud pit, hill climb and tow test.

Started out with the front truss this morning. It puts the servo in the same spot as the Dinky RC mount but looks a bit more scale....or as scale as scale can get with a mini fridge mounted to the front end.

Then it was on to the chassis. Similar offset and design on the main tubes to my Short Fuse build but that's where the similarities will end. The link mounts will be up nice and high to compliment the tall upper link mounts on the trusses. Yet to build the rear in these pics. From here the work will be much easier, especially since I already know what it needs to look like.

Well that's all I got for one day. There is a scale comp tomorrow so no building tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Looks like your off to a great start. Wish I had the talent for doing tube work like that.
AZINDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Love it, I was wondering when you would build the scale version
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cant wait to see this done
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Looking sweet so far man, Loving the servo truss mount..
monkey biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Love your 1:1. I watched it during the Four Wheeler TTC comp that year. I remember when you threw the power steering belt in the Tank Trap and both you guys had to muscle the steering to get through. This is going to be a fun build to follow.
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
RCC Addict

the front link/servo mount is awesome.

looking forward to more.
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

This is going to be awesome Sam! Nice work on the trusses
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks a lot guys! Been sick the last couple of days and can't wait to start back in on it. Got a long ways to go and a short time to get there
Old 03-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiondave View Post
Love your 1:1. I watched it during the Four Wheeler TTC comp that year. I remember when you threw the power steering belt in the Tank Trap and both you guys had to muscle the steering to get through. This is going to be a fun build to follow.
I remember that part too lol! The belt always flew off around 6000 rpm which I later fixed of course. The only reason I was reving that high was the ARB locker was leaking and not engaging. That and I was pissed that I was stuck in the canyon which was not that bad at all really. Running full hydro steering with no assist and cut 44s at about 6 psi is no joke!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

That axle truss / upper link mount combo is rad, you got skills! Looking forward to see in more.
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I've been following the TTC ever since I heard of it back in '97 and was building my own 1:1 to compete(till I ran out of $$$). My class 2 is a replica of the truck I was building... So many great competitors back in the day! I was always fascinated by rigs such as Quagmire, Govt. Mule, etc

Then, your rig showed up! Its one of my all time favorites to this day! I felt connected because your Ford is how I always envisioned mine would turn out! (That, and if i'm not mistaken, you mentioned you were a Union Sheetmetal Worker. I am too! Definitly had to root for another brother!)

Cant wait to see the scale version!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
I've been following the TTC ever since I heard of it back in '97 and was building my own 1:1 to compete(till I ran out of $$$). My class 2 is a replica of the truck I was building... So many great competitors back in the day! I was always fascinated by rigs such as Quagmire, Govt. Mule, etc

Then, your rig showed up! Its one of my all time favorites to this day! I felt connected because your Ford is how I always envisioned mine would turn out! (That, and if i'm not mistaken, you mentioned you were a Union Sheetmetal Worker. I am too! Definitly had to root for another brother!)

Cant wait to see the scale version!

Thats awesome! I got interested in TTC because a buddy, Brain waddell, went and won it in 01. That was my inspiration pretty much. Now that I have a wife and three little girls I can only have time and money for the scale versions anymore. Thats funny about the sheetmetal worker thing. I suspected you were when I noticed a set of tongs in one of your post. The older set of hamlets that they dont make anymore?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i remember seeing this rig in the mags and man thats just awesome.

what i like best about this is the upper link mounts are spaced wider then the wraith mounts. theat means your building how you want. im following this build and i dont think ive ever followed any builds.

get her done

gota flip the drag link with the tie rod and stand the servo arm up

Last edited by evan03; 03-18-2014 at 09:17 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam63 View Post
I noticed a set of tongs in one of your post. The older set of hamlets that they dont make anymore?
Naw, the tongs are modern day Fairmont. But, I do use a tinners hammer and Whitney Jr. punch that belonged to my grandfather (retired from Local 33 in 1988 ). Still going strong, and ive been in the trade for 16yrs now!

Subscribed to this thread! Just like the real deal, I like where the scale version is headed!

Last edited by GiJoe; 03-20-2014 at 06:25 AM.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

nice and love the 1.1 truck alot
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Should get some progress pics up tonight. Finally got a day to thrash on this
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Here are some pics of where I am at on this. The tubework has changed from the 1:1 in some areas a lot since the wheelbase is so stretched out. It even seems the body is narrower and longer in proportion to the 1:1. There are still some tubes that tie the lower rails into the cage and some door bars to add. I may even redo the front fairlead with one like the rear, just time consuming.

One thing I didn't plan out all that well was the sway bar but oh well, it will work fine for what this is doing I think. After trying to match the 1:1 rear shock position I forgot about fitting the sway bar. Since the sway bar and shocks mount at the axle in the same plane they tend to get in their own way. I might be able to change the shock mounts on the axle with a new truss and then slide the sway bar back so the rods are more vertical, we will see.

With any luck I should get the tubes all done tomorrow, welded and finished and ready for paint. Yeehaw!

Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I like how this is coming out Sam! I watched the video of the 1:1 the other day again.
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote

Big Red TTC, my 1:1 replica...sort of - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Red Hobbies TTC 1-20-2013... IN HD..... fla_cracker Scale Videos! 7 01-25-2013 06:43 PM
big red Tryker46 Large Scale Rigs 10 09-12-2010 06:13 PM
Big Red Hits The Big Time JEFF THE JET Missouri 14 07-09-2008 09:39 PM
big red usa1man Tamiya Clod Buster 3 03-16-2007 01:07 PM